Color or BW

KarafaceKaraface Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited July 31, 2009 in People
Just looking for some suggestions and possibly critiques. Which version of this particular photo is stronger, the original color or converted BW?

598500254_SxaWE-L-1.jpg
sanfordbws.jpg

There's also a tighter crop on the BW photo, I think it makes it less distracting from the background. Comments on that as well?

Comments

• zoebluezoeblue Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    Definitely the b&w. But then again, my default is b&w. The b&w seems more interesting to me because the focus is on the face. In the color version, I find the background distracting whereas in the b&w, the background is not an issue.
    "Life is unchartered territory. It reveals its story one moment at a time." (Leo Buscaglia)

www.zoebluephotography.com
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    I'll +1 the B&W version. The color is distracting in this photo and I think the B&W version brings out more texture. It 'tis a nice shot.
    Travis
  • gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    I like the B&W, brings out the eyes. Plus I love B&W.

But converting to B&W in post-process isn't black and white film, which is where you get the real tonal ranges and special feel of B&W. Course, when digitalized for computer viewing some of that will disappear, but you still get a good bit. Best way to view Black & White though is from darkroom prints of B&W film -
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    gvf wrote:
    But converting to B&W in post-process isn't black and white film, which is where you get the real tonal ranges and special feel of B&W. Course, when digitalized for computer viewing some of that will disappear, but you still get a good bit. Best way to view Black & White though is from darkroom prints of B&W film -

I think that's a can of worms that probably shouldn't be opened. There are plenty of knowledgable people that will argue in either direction with perfectly valid points. In the end you may as well include Nikon vs. Canon.
    Travis
  • BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    +1 for the B&W!! Great shot!
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    I fully agree with B&W. Perhaps you can consider dodging his eyes and burning the bright parts of the background.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • KarafaceKaraface Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 31, 2009
    Thanks for the comments and suggestions. The black and white was actually converted using Silver Efex Pro. Dodging and the eyes and blurring the background a bit more out of focus makes a lot of sense, that's something I will do next time.

For context purposes, this photo was taken during Evolution 2009, the premier fighting game tournament in North America. The subject, Sanford Kelly, had just lost his first set in the Grand Finals to lower bracket winner Justin Wong. He would go on to win the EVO 2009 Marvel vs Capcom 2 title.