Now that we have BD here...

TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
edited August 1, 2009 in People
I'd like to get his opinion on one of my shots from last year.

377634879_uPLqN-L-1.jpg
Frank Martinez
Nikon Shooter
It's all about the moment...

Comments

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    That's a great city shot.

It's hard to get beat up wrinkled faces in the US, since farmers are now fat guys.

Those sun beat wrinkled faces of Bedouins or foreign farmers have tremendous interest for me.

Just my .02....
    Rags
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    torags wrote:
    That's a great city shot.

It's hard to get beat up wrinkled faces in the US, since farmers are now fat guys.

Those sun beat wrinkled faces of Bedouins or foreign farmers have tremendous interest for me.

Just my .02....

I know exactly what you mean. Those weathered faces that look like they've seen and been through it all.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Frank that's awesome!
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    I'd like to get his opinion on one of my shots from last year.

377634879_uPLqN-L-1.jpg

Okay, Frank - Ignoring my feeling about one-off shots of homeless people and just looking at this as an image - it's very nice - one of your better efforts. I like the composition (though I might crop it a bit on the right as I think there's too much meaningless empty space there.)

Good job! clap.gif

Now, back to the "no bums" rule. wings.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    What he said ^; too much wall on the right that doesn't add. I didn't catch it
    Rags
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Okay, Frank - Ignoring my feeling about one-off shots of homeless people and just looking at this as an image - it's very nice - one of your better efforts. I like the composition (though I might crop it a bit on the right as I think there's too much meaningless empty space there.)

Good job! clap.gif

Now, back to the "no bums" rule. wings.gif

I think another way of thinking about the space to the right is that there isn't enought meaningful empty space to the right. Homeless people are isolated, alone. It can be illustrated by showing them surrounded by people simply oblivious or indifferent to their existence or by enhancing the isolation by creating negative space that distances them from the the viewer.

Personally, I don't like this shot as I feel crowded on the left with the person's possessions and robbed by a lack of space on the right. I am also bothered by the conversion which is harsh and has too many textures to deal with for my eye.

Is this a crop or the full frame?
  • gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    nice - great texture
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    I think another way of thinking about the space to the right is that there isn't enought meaningful empty space to the right. Homeless people are isolated, alone. It can be illustrated by showing them surrounded by people simply oblivious or indifferent to their existence or by enhancing the isolation by creating negative space that distances them from the the viewer.

Absolutely correct! Negative space is fine, but it has to have a purpose.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited August 1, 2009
    michswiss wrote:

Personally, I don't like this shot as I feel crowded on the left with the person's possessions and robbed by a lack of space on the right. I am also bothered by the conversion which is harsh and has too many textures to deal with for my eye.

Is this a crop or the full frame?

Let me see if I can find the original photo. I believe I cropped a bit of the left side. The negative space on the right was to demonstrate his isolation and to dispaly that those are all of his possessions. Guess that didn't work on this shot. But like I said it was from last year.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    edited August 1, 2009
    This is the original, Full frame, unedited version. What do you recommend on the crop? I find the corner distracting and taking the eye away from the frame. I also find the negative space over the head too distracting as well. This was shot before I was mindful of composition. Also, it wasn't like he posed for me. LoL.

607555499_sxSh4-L.jpg
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter