#30~which do you like??

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited August 2, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I have had so many turn downs on me taking pictures of different people doing what they do best...but as always my most favorite model said it was ok for me to snap her at an odd time....this is what she likes to do...talk on the phone. I guess she is growing up as she is in her 'tweens'...you know....the age just before turning into an unreasonable teenager?

So tell me please...which do you like best. Any CC is welcome.
EDIT: Ok pose number one...I did a little more pp to fix some of the things that were bugging me in the first image...
The Chatterer....
1.Original....
605633337_Kxf2W-L-1.jpg

2.Edited...
606373208_fb7nq-L-1.jpg

Comments

• whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    #1 - but I think you already knew that! thumb.gif The vignette works IMO. Nicely captured.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I like the processing on the last one best but she looks more comfortable in the first shot.
    Cute little girl.

Actually I think maybe a close up crop might even be better because I keep looking around the house. Just my 2cents not sure it's worth that much anymore with inflation.:D

g
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 30, 2009
    Thanks Christopher and g. I left the backgrounds with the 'enviroment' intact as that shows where she spends most of her time...at home. Her crazy expressions and posture is how I found her and she is always stretching herself into odd positions!

I am still torn between one and three. I am not sure I like the darker vinette. I might redo the first with a light vinette to see how it works.

Anyone else want to comment and put in their thoughts would be very much appreciated. I am wondering if the image itself is 'exciting' enough to give a wow factor??
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    I like #1 best . The vignette drops out some unecessary detail in the background. I also like her expression. It gives a frenetic feel to the photo.
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif

I think you can see enough of the details of the surrounding despite the vignette - the chair, the lamp, some things on the wall, etc. - to get a sense of the environment.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
  • shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Daughter's Environment!
    Oh yes, no.1 is definitely better. The vignette minimizes the background while 'putting the spotlight' on your daughter. The other two have to much light on the BG, thereby competing with your daughter as the intended subject.

Might try some more with sifferent facial expressions, holding something in the with her other hand that contributes to what she may be talking about. Just a thought.
    Steve (shoppix)
    edited July 30, 2009
    ty for all the imput. I have edited the first image at the top post....still not sure if this is a strong enough picture?
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    Jag....

I serious am digging your entry, but wondered if some white balance work might help. It seemed a tad green to me?ne_nau.gif

Its an excellent, and fun shot!!! Good luck!thumb.gif
    edited August 1, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Jag....

I serious am digging your entry, but wondered if some white balance work might help. It seemed a tad green to me?ne_nau.gif

Its an excellent, and fun shot!!! Good luck!thumb.gif

ok..is it because the carpet is green? The walls have a very light hue of green too...although I am not seeing it on my computer.

is there a green cast? An auto white balance made it look too blue. I am wondering if the mixture of the ambient 'yellow' light in the back mixed in with the 'blueness' of the flash has caused the green to look more prodominate. Is the skin tone green too?

My monitor has been acting up lately and I will have to have it replaced soon. So any help on this is appreciated. I need the extra set of monitors out there! Thanks for any feedback on this!! I am frustrated that I cannot be certain of anything with this monitor right now.
    edited August 1, 2009
    Just for comparisons...1. is my custom wb and current entry, 2. is 'as shot' wb 3. is 'auto' wb

Which is better?

1.606373208_fb7nq-S-1.jpg2.607817708_86vP7-S-1.jpg 3.607817157_6oSBN-S-1.jpg
    edited August 1, 2009
    I think #1 is best.

Did you use a CTO gel on the flash?

Im not trying to lead you to indecision. Its a very well executed shot...

Its only an observation on my part. Im curious of the method with flash and whether it was gelled.
    edited August 1, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I think #1 is best.

Did you use a CTO gel on the flash?

Im not trying to lead you to indecision. Its a very well executed shot...

Its only an observation on my part. Im curious of the method with flash and whether it was gelled.

Actually a gel would have been a good idea but this was such an inpromptu candid type shot that I grabbed my camera and flash and shot away. My son held the flash up and to the right and it bounced off the walls. I believe the EV on the flash was set for -3/4 and it did have a defuser on it. My main thing was I forgot to change my iso from 800 to 200....but it still didn't seem too grainy. But maybe I am not seeing things as clearly as I use too.
    edited August 1, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    Actually a gel would have been a good idea but this was such an inpromptu candid type shot that I grabbed my camera and flash and shot away. My son held the flash up and to the right and it bounced off the walls. I believe the EV on the flash was set for -3/4 and it did have a defuser on it. My main thing was I forgot to change my iso from 800 to 200....but it still didn't seem too grainy. But maybe I am not seeing things as clearly as I use too.

I think a gel may have made a difference. I dont find it noisy....and The background may have been underlit at ISO200 anyway. I think it looks great.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Hi JAG,

I like #1 best (your entry I guess...)

I personally don't see any noise...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com