New to this

OverkillOverkill Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited July 31, 2009 in Holy Macro
Hi DGrin, I'm new to closeups/macro and really to photography in general. I just got out of point and shoot land and bought a 50D. I had a wierd mess up with my extension tube order or a couple of these might have been a tad better... maybe. My dad is a professional photographer but I didn't absorb any of that, so go easy please :D

The best spider pic I have gotten so far(on my tv actually). I had another with it looking straight at the camera, but it was before I got off of f5.6 and little was in focus other than the eyes:
spider.JPG

Lots of photoshopping on my bangai cardinal:
bangai_cardinal2.jpg

Also I got a brief moment with a dragonfly who either got curious or tired of me chasing it. I'm going to try some focus stacking but the second one(resized only) was the closest head-on shot that I got that looks best on its own. The flash was a little harsh... a 430EXII with the omni-bounce. Actually if you can tell me which of the dragonfly pictures you prefer and why that would be a big help.

(this one was just a 100% crop, edit:resized now)
100_crop_side_small.JPG

(just resized, intending to attempt focus stacking with a series of these)
heads_on_small.JPG

EDIT: smaller images

Thanks!

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Welcome to the forum. Good start with the ext tubes.
    With the dragon shots prefer the composition of the first but the focus of the second
    Brian V.
  • PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Lovely set and really good as a startclap.gif .
    I see you have realised that you need to close the aperture down for Macro:D . I learnt that painful lesson when I first started outrolleyes1.gif .

I really like your image of the TV Spider. May I suggest though that it may be too much biased towards the light tones?
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    hey overkill! welcome to dgrin!

good start on the macros, its just a matter of praticing a lot, you'll get the hang of it. Mostly i would try to get good at the focus aspect because that is very important in macro shots. do you have a macro lens or do you use ext. tubes to go macro? if the first; try first without ext. tubes, its easier. if the last; practice more, maybe first on some pencils or what not static subject thumb.gif

try the macro tips here on the forum, they are a great help in setting up your flash and manual settings thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • OverkillOverkill Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 30, 2009
    Thanks for all of the replies. I should have been a little more clear about my setup. I used the 28-135 for all of these. I had ordered a set of Kenko ext. tubes but somehow things got mixed up and realized they were for a Minolta after they didn't fit my camera. headscratch.gif I got the tubes RMA'd and should have the Canon ones next week. I was hoping to have them in for this weekend so I could go bug hunting but that is not going to happen.

I generally select 135mm and focus all the way at macro, then move the camera to get the subject in focus. The fish was not shot this way because it was too far back in the tank. Also the first dragonfly pic was not taken this way because I was still getting closer to it.

The spider picture was taken on top of my TV with the built-in flash. Some how a living room window got cracked so that is how I found it there. This was a 100% crop but I haven't edited it past that. Hopefully I can get some better spider pictures soon.

The cardinalfish was taken without flash, I was using the available lighting of my small reef tank. Afterwards it had to be whitebalanced in photoshop. Also I removed some out of focus shrimp that were being fed, which took too much attention away from the fish.

The dragonfly pics were both taken with the 430EXII and the omni bounce. I had it pointed up and left a bit if I remember correctly.

I hope to get some more pictures of coral, saltwater invertebrates, fish, and bugs soon.

My next piece of gear may be a 100mm Canon Macro. I'm lucky and can try one for a couple of hours soon, so that may help me decide.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited July 30, 2009
    welcome to the forum, good first shots.
    try not to centre the subject too much, 1st dragonfly shot best for comp. leave room in front of subject.
    shame about the tubesheadscratch.gif
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
  • OverkillOverkill Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 31, 2009
    I looked at some of your flikr photos and see what you mean, thanks :)
    GOLDENORFE wrote:
    welcome to the forum, good first shots.
    try not to centre the subject too much, 1st dragonfly shot best for comp. leave room in front of subject.
    shame about the tubesheadscratch.gif
    phil
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldenorfe/
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    Overkill wrote:
    Hi DGrin, I'm new to closeups/macro and really to photography in general. I just got out of point and shoot land and bought a 50D. I had a wierd mess up with my extension tube order or a couple of these might have been a tad better... maybe. My dad is a professional photographer but I didn't absorb any of that, so go easy please :D

The best spider pic I have gotten so far(on my tv actually). I had another with it looking straight at the camera, but it was before I got off of f5.6 and little was in focus other than the eyes:

Lots of photoshopping on my bangai cardinal:

Also I got a brief moment with a dragonfly who either got curious or tired of me chasing it. I'm going to try some focus stacking but the second one(resized only) was the closest head-on shot that I got that looks best on its own. The flash was a little harsh... a 430EXII with the omni-bounce. Actually if you can tell me which of the dragonfly pictures you prefer and why that would be a big help.

(this one was just a 100% crop, edit:resized now)

(just resized, intending to attempt focus stacking with a series of these)

EDIT: smaller images

Thanks!

Hi Overkill, Welcome to Dgrin clap.gif

Going from a Point and Shoot to a Canon 50D is quite a move.
    Hope you get your Extension Tube order sorted out,
    you'll be really pleased at how much closer you can get using them.

Your focus seems to be off slightly with these shots.
    When shooting bugs it is very important to get the EYES in focus.

Your backgrounds on the Dragonfly shots, or nice and smooth. nod.gif

The Canon 100m Macro is one Super Sweet Lens on it's own,
    with a set of Ext Tubes, you'll find yourself looking for absolutely anything that moves to Photograph rolleyes1.gif

Your doing fine, like everything, there is a learning curve.
    Using a DSLR is very different to using a Point and Shoot.

All the best with your new Gear Overkill, looking forward to seeing more shots.

Enjoy the Forum thumb.gif ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin