Sunset in Seattle

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited July 31, 2009 in Landscapes
Danny Seidman mentioned an interesting idea to me while we were at Kerry Park the other day, taking one exposure at sunset when the sky was at peak, and another after sunset when the lights on the building are at peak, and then merging the two exposures together. He got the technique via dgrin's very own Mahesh :D

So here's my first attempt at it. This was cropped to a pano to make the composition more interesting and to remove the sky which was pretty featureless above the skyline.

605763266_QbLtm-X2.jpg

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    Hey Ron,
    That is a great idea and you did a good job executing it. My only nit is that the space needle seems too bright/white in that setting if that makes sense. Thanks for sharing the idea of the two exposures!
    E
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Great job and great Idea ! clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Danny Seidman mentioned an interesting idea to me while we were at Kerry Park the other day, taking one exposure at sunset when the sky was at peak, and another after sunset when the lights on the building are at peak, and then merging the two exposures together. He got the technique via dgrin's very own Mahesh :D

So here's my first attempt at it. This was cropped to a pano to make the composition more interesting and to remove the sky which was pretty featureless above the skyline.

605763266_QbLtm-X2.jpg

Very nice! I love the pink tones and the soft light. Personally, I think the Space Needle looks "just right." The technique works really well, huh? I remember first writing an article/tutorial about it 8 years ago. I can't believe it's been that long!
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Very nice! I love the pink tones and the soft light. Personally, I think the Space Needle looks "just right." The technique works really well, huh? I remember first writing an article/tutorial about it 8 years ago. I can't believe it's been that long!

Wow, that is a long time, before I had a camera! It is a cool technique though, and really useful. I usually think of cityscapes as having two peaks, one at sunset, and another with the lights on the buildings, this way I can merge to two peaks together :D

Thanks for the comments everyone!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Very cool technique. Great skyline capture.

Since I do not use PS, I guess I can't try this. I wonder if it would work using Photomattix?headscratch.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Very cool technique. Great skyline capture.

Since I do not use PS, I guess I can't try this. I wonder if it would work using Photomattix?headscratch.gif

Probably not very well. You might want to try Gimp, I used to use that on Linux back in the day (7 years ago) and it has layers and blending and masks, and that's all you really need to do the merging.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    This is definitely a fun technique to try out. It looks like you did a good job but I think you might have been right about needing to wait just a little longer for the building lights to be more visible. The glow on the buildings is very cool though.