Mt. Rainier at Sunrise on Sunrise

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited August 8, 2009 in Landscapes
Two shots from a quick trip up to Rainier (at the Sunrise Visitor Center) the other night. Trip is recapped here.

605699468_KNaFr-XL.jpg

#2: This was my first real attempt and doing a manual exposure blend. It was actually pretty easy. Still some rough spots but I think I'll get better with practice.

605750291_X6QCP-XL.jpg

#2.5: Updated to have a little more shadow and contrast in the middle section:

606505674_XALC6-XL.jpg

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Very nice, Ron! The 1st shot is amazing with the milky way displayed so beautifully. Is that a little lens corner softness I notice at the upper left hand corner or just some motion from the star trails? I can't tell.

I like the 2nd shot too and you did a nice job with the blending. However, I think the job you did was a little "too nice." What I mean is, I'd love to see more contrast in this image, especially towards the middle of the picture. As is, the shot looks a little hazy or "muddy." Yes, you'll lose a little shadow/midtone detail with a boost in contrast, but it will also give your some nice pop. That's just my personal opinion; take it with a grain of salt. :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Man, I'm lovin' that first one! Excellent photo, Ron! Great job!
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Holy crap Ron that first shot is mind blowing! bowdown.gif
  • TJDIVTJDIV Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    cool pics. like the climbers on the mountain.
    "Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger"

9zero6 | Upper Peninsula Overland
  • BobRBobR Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Phenomenal, first shot looks like eruption of starsthumb.gif
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 30, 2009
    Jeez, Louise! That first shot is AWESOME. :wow

Agree with Mahesh on the processing on the second one, but it's still a fabulous shot.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 30, 2009
    Fantastic, Ron! I could just project the first one on the ceiling and lie down on the floor and look at it on cloudy nights. :D
    As for the second, I can only reiterate what Mahesh said. thumb.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Very nice, Ron! The 1st shot is amazing with the milky way displayed so beautifully. Is that a little lens corner softness I notice at the upper left hand corner or just some motion from the star trails? I can't tell.

I like the 2nd shot too and you did a nice job with the blending. However, I think the job you did was a little "too nice." What I mean is, I'd love to see more contrast in this image, especially towards the middle of the picture. As is, the shot looks a little hazy or "muddy." Yes, you'll lose a little shadow/midtone detail with a boost in contrast, but it will also give your some nice pop. That's just my personal opinion; take it with a grain of salt. :D

Totally agree with you on the second shot, that's part of the rough spots I was referring to. I'll go back and play with it some more. I may be leaning to your approach of tossing the GND filters aside, at least for uneven horizon shots of static subjects, but I need to get a lot better in post processing before I fully commit.

On the star shot, it's actually motion blur/perspective distortion (16mm shot) from the stars on the edge (multiple exposures were blended together to reduce noise). I cropped the image quite a bit to get rid of most of the motion blur, but there's still that spot in the upper left. I'll probably have to mask out the individual star trails, that'll be a nice tedious process. But it does detract. In the future I might just compose with a 25% crop along the border in mind.

It really is amazing being up there and being able to see the milky way so bright and clear with literally thousands of stars around.
    edited July 30, 2009
    Thanks to everyone for the comments and the feedback. I'll definitely play with these shots a little more and see if I can make them better. But I'll probably just end up taking new shots instead :D
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    edited July 30, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    It never ends rolleyes1.gif
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif

I believe you're talking about my post-processing faux paus, and if so, I agree wholeheartedly. I'm working on it though :D
    edited July 30, 2009
    Updated the second shot to have a little more shadow/contrast in the middle.

606505674_XALC6-XL.jpg
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Yowzy dowzy! Fantastically beautiful images.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • ReverbReverb Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    The first one is spectacular and I definitely have to agree that your last change improves it. The improved contrast works.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    Good looking stuff, especially since these look just like mine :D

I hope you keep practicing and experimenting with manual blending as this is a great first attempt. The only issue I really see is a little bit of haloing over the hill on the far right side of the image. Other than that, I have nothing but good things to say.
    edited July 31, 2009
    The 2nd is an improvement, Ron, but I'd boost up the contrast even more. I want this one to POP! :D

Mahesh
    edited July 31, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    The 2nd is an improvement, Ron, but I'd boost up the contrast even more. I want this one to POP! :D
    Tough crowd! lol3.gif

607373068_ubWte-XL.jpg

Thanks for the continued feedback. I'll get there eventually, I just like taking the scenic route. This one might have a bit too much contrast now that I look at it. Looked better full size.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    Your first photo is amazing It looks like the Mt. Rainier spewed out stars into the sky. That is a great shot for your wall. I also think the remix of #2 looks much better, its a great capture of the alpenglow.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Tough crowd! lol3.gif

607373068_ubWte-S.jpg

Thanks for the continued feedback. I'll get there eventually, I just like taking the scenic route. This one might have a bit too much contrast now that I look at it. Looked better full size.

BINGO! I think this one is my favorite. I'm a high-contrast girl, however, but I like how much more "clear" this shot seems to my eyes.

I am still not sure what to make of the center of the photo, in the valley. The way it is now it could be early morning fog or just an uneven exposure but I'm not sure. ear.gif
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    #1 is spectacular Ron- excellent work as usual! Love it! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Cheers,
    edited August 8, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Tough crowd! lol3.gif

607373068_ubWte-XL.jpg

Oh ya! This is it! I think the contrast is perfect. I knew if I pushed you hard enough, you'd give me what I wanted! :Dthumb.gif

Mahesh
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Great job really like the 2nd shot with added contrast
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Bruce NovotneyBruce Novotney Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Wonderful series! That first one is a absolute stunner!