Lava Lake sunset

Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
edited August 3, 2009 in Landscapes
This was taken over an hour after official sunset.

605788604_hBfUd-XL.jpg

Here is the finished product

607528761_JC9MU-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Beautiful. Slightly tilted to the right though.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Very beautiful, Al! I love the dark blues, the sparkles in the sky and the still water. Besides fixing the tilt, I might clone out the bright light on the bottom left.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Thanks for your comments, I will work on this tonight.
    edited July 30, 2009
    Here is the straightened version, I also cloned out the bright light on the right.

605858969_NjoQU-XL-1.jpg
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Allan FG wrote:
    Here is the straightened version, I also cloned out the bright light on the right.

605858969_NjoQU-XL-1.jpg

No you're cooking with Crisco! Love the redo! :Dthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
    edited July 30, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    No you're cooking with Crisco! Love the redo! :Dthumb.gif

Thanks

But as a bachelor cooking of any kind is against my religion mwink.gif
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Fabulous image. Just beautiful clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • marcpromarcpro Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    I love this picture, it's very peaceful. I can almost hear the cry of the loons.

Allan, just a suggestion, purely a personal choice, but what if you tried cropping the left side of the picture, taking out the trees and the mountain "hump" and leaving only the grass silhouette in the water on the left edge, and the pier on the right edge. The picture then becomes sort of a vertical. I downloaded your pic and tried it, and I liked the result. I can post here if you like.

Less is more...

Cheers,
    Marc.
    -- Photography without post-processing is like cooking without salt or spices.
    edited July 31, 2009
    Thanks for all your comments. What I would like to do is smooth out the banding of the light, I can see this arc of distinct bands of light and I would like to smooth them out, any suggestions ear.gif
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    lovely image! It would make a nice desktop wallpaper!! What settings were used?
    edited July 31, 2009
    brvheart wrote:
    lovely image! It would make a nice desktop wallpaper!! What settings were used?

Here is the <a href="http://alinbeaverton.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=605858969&ImageKey=NjoQU"&gt; EXIF</a>
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    I love the redo Allen. Such vibrant blues. A beautiful image!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • PhenomenologicalPhenomenological Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    I'd say the redo is still slightly tilted, and I agree with you that I noticed the banding of the light in the sky - I'm not totally sure how I'd go about fixing it, though. Maybe have a bit of a play with selecting a blue from a band and painting over the lines on a new layer, then have a play with blending modes and opacity and see if you can find anything that works?

It might be worth 10 minutes of your time to give it a shot anyway, because it's an incredibly beautiful image. :)

Edit: On second thoughts the redo might not be tilted after all, I think it was the different heights of the land on each side playing tricks on me.
    edited August 1, 2009
    Well I applied a gradient mask to the sky and it removed most of the banding, it is a subtle difference. I updated the first post so you can see the before and after.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Allan FG wrote:
    Well I applied a gradient mask to the sky and it removed most of the banding, it is a subtle difference. I updated the first post so you can see the before and after.

Another tool, I use, if you have smugmug you can go into tools and use picnik.com. The softening tool is excellent.

Dan
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Such a beautiful capture ! great mood and what a blue !mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited August 2, 2009
    Thanks for the comments.

I do have smugmug but picnik doesn't work on my computer. I will have to look at my firewall.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    The redo (second one) in the original post feels more banded (on my montior) when I look at it. The stars closer to the horizon are popping a bit more as a plus, though. On the kudo's side, my daughter just walked by and wanted to know if I was looking at National Georgraphic!

Was this picture originally taken in RAW or did the camera compress to JPEG?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited August 2, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    The redo (second one) in the original post feels more banded (on my montior) when I look at it. The stars closer to the horizon are popping a bit more as a plus, though. On the kudo's side, my daughter just walked by and wanted to know if I was looking at National Georgraphic!

Was this picture originally taken in RAW or did the camera compress to JPEG?

I never shoot in RAW:D
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Really peaceful setting and mood. I like the cloned out light version. Well done.