FF 35mm not enough?

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
edited September 20, 2009 in Cameras
Maybe a medium format digital camera is in your future?

http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/s_system/
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Drool
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Yeah... I wish!

I wonder why Pentax hasn't jumped in with a MF digital?headscratch.gif

In any event when you two buy one of those Id like to make an offer on your 5Ds?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited July 30, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    ... In any event when you two buy one of those Id like to make an offer on your 5Ds?

I would probably get a scanning digital back for my 4" x 5" view camera first. Maybe next year. (... or years after that.)

In the mean time, the 5D MKII on a panoramic head with stitched images makes a great "poor man's scanning digital back" and provides extra detail as needed. Just ask Baldy:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=101529
    ziggy53
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Maybe a medium format digital camera is in your future?

http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/s_system/

rolleyes1.gifAs if the M8.2 wasn't pricey enough.

Even still, I wouldn't mind trying out digital MF be it the S system or digi back for a goof.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2009
    Interesting that Leica chose 345 as their format instead of the more traditional 645. By using 345 they avoid competing directly with Mamiya, Phase One and Hasselblad in the 645 market, the can build a smaller camera body and lenses around their half-size sensor, and the 345 sensor will be cheaper to fabricate than the 645 sensor.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    OK, all this nervous circling round the issue mwink.gif - but what do you think the body will cost? And what non-Leica lenses can be used with it?

N
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    NeilL wrote:
    OK, all this nervous circling round the issue mwink.gif - but what do you think the body will cost? And what non-Leica lenses can be used with it?

N

Projected pricing information on the body/lenses/accessories can be found here.

I guess I'll need to pick one up for a travel camera... thumb.gif
    Travis
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    thoth wrote:

Thanks, Travis!

Yeah, that's a few weeks lunch money, sure. At least 50% is snob value, though. Which means that there's stuff just as good practically, but at a more realistic price.

Am looking forward to the reviews, which should place it in the correct position in the pecking order, irrespective of the price tag etc.

N
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    luminouslandscape just posted the premium prices of the new camera & lenses:
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/whatsnew/
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Yeah... I wish!

I wonder why Pentax hasn't jumped in with a MF digital?headscratch.gif

In any event when you two buy one of those Id like to make an offer on your 5Ds?

I can just see it a PENTAX 6X7 digital.....the ultimate.....especially since they made adapters for all their 35mm lenses to fit the 6x7 body........OHHH YEAH!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited August 1, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I can just see it a PENTAX 6X7 digital.....the ultimate.....especially since they made adapters for all their 35mm lenses to fit the 6x7 body........OHHH YEAH!!!

I believe it was the other way around; they made adapters for their 6x7 lenses to fit their 35mm cameras. I don't believe I ever saw 35mm lenses on a larger format. The Pentax manual focus 500mm, f4.5 SMC did allow enough coverage to work on both size formats, and it was mostly sold with the 35mm adapter, but that's the only lens I'm aware of that saw regular service on both formats.
    ziggy53
    edited August 1, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I believe it was the other way around; they made adapters for their 6x7 lenses to fit their 35mm cameras. I don't believe I ever saw 35mm lenses on a larger format. The Pentax manual focus 500mm, f4.5 SMC did allow enough coverage to work on both size formats, and it was mostly sold with the 35mm adapter, but that's the only lens I'm aware of that saw regular service on both formats.

cAN'T BE RIGHT ALL THE TIME I GUESS......SO i GOT IT BASS ACKWARDS:Drolleyes1.gifrofl
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ProfessionalProfessional Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    I have Hasselblad H3D but i feel sad that many don't recommend or like it because it is a closed system, so that i feel sad i bought my H3D and i which to sell it in closer price i bought and buy another digital medium format like Phase One, but seems i will never get a decent price for my Hassy to fund new digital MF, so i will keep mine and will start to save for years for another digital MF.
  • NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2009
    thoth wrote:

Given a $399 battery charger price....
    I'll stick to film and scan for a long, long time.

(Not that I've gotten very far with that yet, but I'm breaking ground and pouring the foundation already.)

Nate
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com
    Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2009
    I'd love to have a Leica S2, but $22k for just the body is more than I've spent on Canon SLR equipment in my entire life. (I think.)
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2009
    I think that I will stick with the Mamiya DL28 for my MF work...
    Steve

Website
    I think that I will stick with the Mamiya DL28 for my MF work...

Mmmm, creamy smooth (at base ISO). thumb.gifclap.gif

Color me jealous.
    ziggy53
    I have Hasselblad H3D but i feel sad that many don't recommend or like it because it is a closed system, so that i feel sad i bought my H3D and i which to sell it in closer price i bought and buy another digital medium format like Phase One, but seems i will never get a decent price for my Hassy to fund new digital MF, so i will keep mine and will start to save for years for another digital MF.

I would think that if you were advertising it in the right places you could find a buyer that understands what they are buying rather than a low balling stuge that is just looking to buy something that he has no idea what the value of a MF digital system is actually worth and that they hold their value very well............I would think you should easily be able to get 75-85% of original value and mabe as high as 90% as long as it looks and works like a new cam............

With resolution in the digital 35mm type cams being what it is, it could very well just be that most photogs are saying I no longer need MF to get the quality I need......at least the size of compact flash cards is catching up to being able to hold more than 1 or 2 or so shots from the MF digital cams and that was a huge factor for me when I gave up my MF cams instead of buying Phase one backs for them...also I did not want to be tethered to a computer for shooting , which was the only other option.......so I left the MF world ..................

Good Luck to you.