Options

Basecamp layer shortcut

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
edited July 30, 2009 in Finishing School
Hi everyone.. I'm going nuts.. I'm doing an advanced online course in photoshop cs4 and the tutorial refers to a "basecamp layer" which is a combination of the layers below it but the layers remain in view. Her shortcuts do not apply to cs4 - I think it was Ctrl -Alt-Shft E. I'm desperate to find this shortcut or ANY method to get a "basecamp" layer. I know I can merge visible but I want to keep the preceeding layers for saving my project. Am I missing the obvious???
Lynn

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited July 30, 2009
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi everyone.. I'm going nuts.. I'm doing an advanced online course in photoshop cs4 and the tutorial refers to a "basecamp layer" which is a combination of the layers below it but the layers remain in view. Her shortcuts do not apply to cs4 - I think it was Ctrl -Alt-Shft E. I'm desperate to find this shortcut or ANY method to get a "basecamp" layer. I know I can merge visible but I want to keep the preceeding layers for saving my project. Am I missing the obvious???
    Lynn

Hi Lynn,

Warning, I am using CS3, but I would be surprised if it were different in CS4. That's the right shortcut in Windows; Mac would be Cmd-Option-Shift-E. You need to have the topmost layer selected before doing it if you want all the layers included--it will do a merge up to a new layer of everything visible below.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Hi Lynn,

Warning, I am using CS3, but I would be surprised if it were different in CS4. That's the right shortcut in Windows; Mac would be Cmd-Option-Shift-E. You need to have the topmost layer selected before doing it if you want all the layers included--it will do a merge up to a new layer of everything visible below.

OOOOO.... I'm gonna go try again... I don't think it's working for me... ne_nau.gif thanks Richard. I'll let you know..iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2009
    lynnma wrote:
    OOOOO.... I'm gonna go try again... I don't think it's working for me... ne_nau.gif thanks Richard. I'll let you know..iloveyou.gif
    Oh yeay Richard... thats been bugging me for two days!!!!!!! gotta have that basecamp layer... thankyou so much.. I was just not quite getting the dam keys right... can you believe that????
    Thanks agin. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 30, 2009
    Cmd-Opt-Shift-E

I use it all the time, but it is hard to find written down in most books when you go looking for it, so I understand Lynn's frustration.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Cmd-Opt-Shift-E

I use it all the time, but it is hard to find written down in most books when you go looking for it, so I understand Lynn's frustration.

I'ts amazing!!! I can usually find anything! but when you go looking at layers info in PS theres PAGES of stuff that does'nt apply... I looked online, I went through cs4 video's online... I shudda come here first rolleyes1.gif good ole dgrin..
    now I can move on. This advanced Artistry 2 is amazing - the tutor is Rita Amladi... top notch hi end artist. I'm doing it through VTC online if anyone is interested in a really really good "online university" I can highly recommend.
    thanks again.