Backup DSLR's?

GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
edited August 1, 2009 in Cameras
I've noticed some of the photographers on this forum speak of having a "backup" dslr camera. I'm just curious to know the various reasons for this. I'm lucky to have the ONE dslr I have, my Canon 1000D XS. (I also have a Canon Powershot) I'd love to have another dslr, but I'm not sure why I would need one. I can certainly think of some reasons, but I want to hear it from the respective "pro" masses. :wink Thanks!

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    It is not a matter of if BUT WHEN WILL DIASTER STRIKE
    GoofBckt wrote:
    I've noticed some of the photographers on this forum speak of having a "backup" dslr camera. I'm just curious to know the various reasons for this. I'm lucky to have the ONE dslr I have, my Canon 1000D XS. (I also have a Canon Powershot) I'd love to have another dslr, but I'm not sure why I would need one. I can certainly think of some reasons, but I want to hear it from the respective "pro" masses. mwink.gif Thanks!

Several years ago i was shooting a wedding that was 32.4 miles from my house (no cell phones yet either) and I was shooting along and loading film and shooting and unloading film...all went well until the film came back from the processor.......BLANK....not one exposed roll.....I am terrified that I will be sued and that will be it for me as a wedding photog......so I talk with Bride and Groom and they say we can re enact it in 2 weeks every one will be able to come back out to their ranch for a BBQ and all will be good...in the mean time cam is in shop bvein looked over and eureka the take up spindle is not taking up the film.......HadI taken the time to notice when i placed the tail of the film into the take up spool and start to wind it wasn't moving but I was so sure that my NEW cam could not fail me I did not double check this small thing that could have save me a lot of probs.....well.....If I had a 2nd (back up cam) cam and noticed the malfunctioning take up spool......now i have 2 dslr's same make and model, a very good quality 8mp p/s and a film cam with 10 rolls of film that accompany me to a wedding..........

IN THIS BUSINESS IT IS NOT A MATTER OF IF............. BUT WHEN WILL A DISASTER STRIKE.......................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited July 31, 2009
    If you are a professional photographer or if you are shooting events for money (especially an event that cannot be duplicated) it's extremely important to have a backup camera. All cameras will ultimately fail. How they fail can range from intermittent failure to complete failure, but if it fails during a critical moment in an event you need a backup camera ready to cover the failure at a moment's notice.

At my last film wedding, in 2004, when I got ready to shoot the formals, 3 medium format camera bodies failed to work properly. I ultimately reverted to a Canon 35mm SLR and shot the rest of the evening with that, but I was nearly panicked there for a while.

I am now 100% digital but I always have a backup ready and waiting. It's even turned on but in standby so I just have to push the shutter button to activate it.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    I am not a "pro", but an increasingly serious hobbyist. The backup is for the occasions when you just have to get the photos. For example, I just finished a trip to Costa Rica, where I carried my 5D. My son used my 40D (which meant our cameras served as a "backup" to one another) and my daughter carried, but rarely used a Rebel XT (a second backup).

In a couple of weeks, I will spend a week at a camp. I expect to bring my 40D and back it up with my son's P & S.

So when I had my Rebel XT, I did not have a backup (and it never failed). I figured if it failed, I would go buy another camera. It became the backup when I finally upgraded to my 40D two years later. If you are not a "pro", you probably can forgo a backup dslr (and use your Powershot). Your 1000 XS will become your backup dslr when you decide you just got to have a better camera. Shouldn't take too long...
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    Aha! I have a feeling this scenario will be the #1 reason most peeps have a "backup." Thanks for your reply, Art. :)
    Art Scott wrote:
    Several years ago i was shooting a wedding that was 32.4 miles from my house (no cell phones yet either) and I was shooting along and loading film and shooting and unloading film...all went well until the film came back from the processor.......BLANK....not one exposed roll.....I am terrified that I will be sued and that will be it for me as a wedding photog......so I talk with Bride and Groom and they say we can re enact it in 2 weeks every one will be able to come back out to their ranch for a BBQ and all will be good...in the mean time cam is in shop bvein looked over and eureka the take up spindle is not taking up the film.......HadI taken the time to notice when i placed the tail of the film into the take up spool and start to wind it wasn't moving but I was so sure that my NEW cam could not fail me I did not double check this small thing that could have save me a lot of probs.....well.....If I had a 2nd (back up cam) cam and noticed the malfunctioning take up spool......now i have 2 dslr's same make and model, a very good quality 8mp p/s and a film cam with 10 rolls of film that accompany me to a wedding..........

IN THIS BUSINESS IT IS NOT A MATTER OF IF BUT WHEN WILL A DIASTER STRIKE.......................
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    Not a pro, but I like to have two cameras, each with a different lens on it. My "backup" is a D70, which is 5 years old now I think. Of course, if one camera was to fail, I wouldn't have to pack it like I did when my D70 failed years ago.
  • IanJIanJ Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    I don't have a back up, but when I eventually purchase my new camera my current one will become my back up. Bit like rainbow says, your old will become your backup.

I have had my current camera fail on me. Just wouldn't turn on. Fortunately it was under warranty. Unfortunately it took a couple of weeks for repair. I would have liked a back up during that time as I only find out it was broken the morning we were going away for a weekend. Oh well, I live and learn!

Ian
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    It is important to have backup when doing the serious works. Just keep the older camer handy with fully charged battery. I used to carry both 5D and old 300D as backup.
    Last year, I had vacation to Egypt. Due to the long trip and strict carry on policy, I just brought the 5D without back up. The mirror assembly came off halfway on the boat in the Red Sea, at the middle of the trip. I lost half day. Just use the handphone camera to take couple photos on the way to the shore. Lucky that I managed to use the superglue to fix it at night and continue for the rest of the trip.

Not only we need backup camera, we need it for the lens also. Early this year, the 24-105 F4 lens failed at the middle of trip in China. Lucky that I had the 300D with 18-200 as back it up and cover the mid-range. Used the 5D with 17-40 and 70-200 to do the rest of the trip.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Thanks everyone. I just ordered a 40D body and will use my Rebel XS as backup from now on. I really appreciate all the advice and it makes perfect sense. Thank you, thank you!
    It is important to have backup when doing the serious works. Just keep the older camer handy with fully charged battery. I used to carry both 5D and old 300D as backup.
    Last year, I had vacation to Egypt. Due to the long trip and strict carry on policy, I just brought the 5D without back up. The mirror assembly came off halfway on the boat in the Red Sea, at the middle of the trip. I lost half day. Just use the handphone camera to take couple photos on the way to the shore. Lucky that I managed to use the superglue to fix it at night and continue for the rest of the trip.

Not only we need backup camera, we need it for the lens also. Early this year, the 24-105 F4 lens failed at the middle of trip in China. Lucky that I had the 300D with 18-200 as back it up and cover the mid-range. Used the 5D with 17-40 and 70-200 to do the rest of the trip.