Foggy...

Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
edited August 3, 2009 in Landscapes
So it's been ages since I've shot any landscapes, as I've been focused on portraits and more recently weddings. I happened to have my camera and tripod in my vehicle tonight, however, and there was this thick fog all over the place and a nice post-sunset color going on in the sky... so I pulled over and took some photos. This is what I came up with:

606715782_w4bAR-L.jpg

It's two exposures blended in PS. I shot this with my 80-200 at 200mm, which I'm pretty sure is the first time I've ever shot a landscape at such a long focal length. When I used to shoot with an 18-200, I'd pretty much leave it at 18mm and never even considered zooming to any other focal length. Obviously I was missing out on all the great perspective compression that can be achieved with a tele. I didn't really "get" how this works until I learned about shooting distances and perspective distortion for portraits. Anyway I'm glad I figured it out and have another tool in the box... Oh yeah, let me know what you think of the photo, too!

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    Beautiful shot and wonderful colors, Tim. I love how the yellows and blues contrast so well with each other. clap.gifthumb.gif Although I'd hate to get rid of any of that wonderful sky, have you experimented with cropping a little from the top, just below those small dark clouds on the right. It will give a nice diagonal line where the yellow meets the blue from upper right to the horizon.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Fabulous. iloveyou.gif I agree with Mahesh, and I might lower the saturation just a tad, but that is subjective. Great work clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Tim what a beautiful shot! I'm glad that you have success in shooting people these days but I'm thrilled to see that you're catching good landscapes, too.

I don't normally go for super-saturation but I think with the composition you have here, it fits very well to give this a painterly feel.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    I love the shot but I don't think it needs such intense colors to be an eye-catcher. The excellent composition and unbeatable rolling fog in the foreground already make this shot a winner.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Very nice Saturation is high but looking great ! thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery