Soccer at Gillette Stadium

timcallowtimcallow Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited August 10, 2009 in Sports
Some shots from Inter Milan Soccer match at Gillette Stadium. My first attempt at stadium stands photography, using my 70-200 4.0L.

606241221_cjGwB-M.jpg

606239994_cJCMV-M.jpg

606189748_FhcRW-L-1.jpg

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 8, 2009
    Shooting from the stands makes it difficult to get a decent shot. The second shot has a ball and some faces which is good. The other two obviously have action though it's hard to know what's happening in the later as there doesn't seem to be a ball. It looks like your timing might be just a tad bit off.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • EZPZEZPZ Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Pro Gear
    Hi Tim,

Nice shots. I wonder, do you have any trouble carrying professional looking equipment into the stadium? I've been stopped a few times on my way into Fenway because of a white L lens. How is it at Gillette?

timcallow wrote:
    Some shots from Inter Milan Soccer match at Gillette Stadium. My first attempt at stadium stands photography, using my 70-200 4.0L.

606241221_cjGwB-M.jpg

606239994_cJCMV-M.jpg

606189748_FhcRW-L-1.jpg
  • timcallowtimcallow Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    I carried the lens & camera separately into the stadium, because I didn't have a case small enough to meet the requirements. I brought the felt case that comes with the lens. The agent just felt around outside of the lens case, asked me if it was a lens, and I was through. Maybe I just got a lenient agent, but I didn't mind.
    edited August 8, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    Shooting from the stands makes it difficult to get a decent shot. The second shot has a ball and some faces which is good. The other two obviously have action though it's hard to know what's happening in the later as there doesn't seem to be a ball. It looks like your timing might be just a tad bit off.
    Thanks for taking a look at my photos. It was my first time with soccer, and yes, timing was way off. I love soccer so much, it was hard to go between just wanting to watch and taking shots. I need to be more disciplined to keep my camera ready,
    edited August 8, 2009
    Here are a couple more shots I liked.

606191208_gPymL-M-1.jpg

606251026_WeaK4-M.jpg

612961663_fkJ6p-M.jpg

But as you can see, it is very hard to get a shot without having a defender or another player in the way to get that perfect shot. The last shot is of the winning goal, but Mancini is in the way. It takes a lot of shits as we all know to get the perfect shot, and I'm still trying.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 10, 2009
    timcallow wrote:
    Thanks for taking a look at my photos. It was my first time with soccer, and yes, timing was way off. I love soccer so much, it was hard to go between just wanting to watch and taking shots. I need to be more disciplined to keep my camera ready,
    It's funny. When you play, you watch one way. When you shoot, you watch another. It's just working on that timing thing.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?