Sigma 10-20 - which one?

GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
edited August 14, 2009 in Cameras
I live in the 'land of the living skies', says my license plate. That, and frustrations with my kit DA 18-55 II, have me looking for a wide angle.

The Sigma 10-20 is pretty well loved in any mount, and the pricing on the Pentax 12-24 is mildly ridiculous, so I think I'm pretty well decided.

Then there is the question of the older F4-5.6 or the newer F3.5. In Pentax mount, is there a significant difference? I can't imagine shooting this lens wide open very often anyway, as for me it will be landscape lens more than anything.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    Grainbelt wrote:
    I live in the 'land of the living skies', says my license plate. That, and frustrations with my kit DA 18-55 II, have me looking for a wide angle.

The Sigma 10-20 is pretty well loved in any mount, and the pricing on the Pentax 12-24 is mildly ridiculous, so I think I'm pretty well decided.

Then there is the question of the older F4-5.6 or the newer F3.5. In Pentax mount, is there a significant difference? I can't imagine shooting this lens wide open very often anyway, as for me it will be landscape lens more than anything.

Thoughts?

You may not shoot wide open very much or at all.....but a constant aperture lens, for me , is just easier to use I do not have to worry about the aperture changing as i change the focal length of the lens........
    I am saving for the 3.5 version for me...............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 1, 2009
    While I agree with Art about the constant f/stop being nice, Im not sure it's worth $700 compared to $350
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    captain78 wrote:
    While I agree with Art about the constant f/stop being nice, Im not sure it's worth $700 compared to $350

Anyone seen an objective review comparing the two? I took a look last Friday and the prices locally are:

Sigma 10-20 4.5-5.6: CAD 759
    Sigma 10-20 3.5: CAD 859
    Pentax 12-24: CAD 1200

The old model seems overpriced and the spread to the new one is minimal, but I haven't seen much commentary in the way of image quality on the 3.5 vs. the older model.
    edited August 11, 2009
    FWIW, I went with the older model. I don't anticpate shooting it wide open frequently, and B&H lists it for 479 in Pentax mount. Even after shipping and GST I'll be well below the local cost (CAD is strong right now, 1.09:1USD).

Will post up samples once I receive it.
  • UmmmHowsThatUmmmHowsThat Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    I just picked up the older Sigma 10-20 for my D200, with intentions on landscape photography and silly indoor photos with friends (for which I've got the SB-600 to make up for the darkness). I didn't give the 3.5 much thought because for the money and what I'm going to be using the lens for, I wasn't worried about the extra stops.

BTW, I love it and you will, too! iloveyou.gif
    -Bryan

• SunnyvalejohnSunnyvalejohn Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    I have been using the sigma 10-20mm and also love it. It is half the price of the Nikon 12-24mm, similar to your Pentax. Save the money and get another goodie with it!
    Cheers,
    John
    edited August 12, 2009
    BTW, I love it and you will, too! iloveyou.gif

I plan to! Headed thru the rockies and into BC in a couple of weeks and want to be able to capture some of the dynamic skies and views while I'm there. thumb.gif
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    I cannot comment on the new lens. But the 10-20mm f/4.5-5.6 I owned
    was excellent. I kindof regret selling it when I moved to fullframe.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston