HDR: My take using Photomatix + PS CS4

GORIOGORIO Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
edited August 1, 2009 in Landscapes
Just want to share. these set are far from perfect and would like to hear from you. honesty is what i ask, cheers!:)
SAMAL ISLAND
3667815936_521457302e_b.jpg
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea and Ideas are Bulletproof..."

Comments

• GORIOGORIO Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2009
    NEARING
    3713552756_f3c4dff92d_b.jpg
    "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea and Ideas are Bulletproof..."
    edited July 31, 2009
    ME ON THE EDGE
    3710615643_a9a06a1969_b.jpg
    edited August 1, 2009
    DEVIANT FALLS
    3711424074_cbb60209c0_b.jpg
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Welcome to Dgrin. Very nice HDR series. thumb.gifthumb.gif

Dan
  • scottVscottV Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    i really like the waterfall one but the sky is pretty distracting... what about a crop with the top half cut out? the creamy water and rocks in the foreground really does it for me.
    edited August 1, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Welcome to Dgrin. Very nice HDR series. thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Dan
    thanks dan for dropping byclap.gif

@scotv actually that's what most people say, haha i really hate that part also. it looks weird already after the tone mapping in photomatix. will crop that part, done!thumb.gif
    CROPPED
    3777261840_f25347aa96_b.jpg
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    to be frank, i think you have the eye, the scenery and the equipment but your not doing the scene justice with these HDR's. :nah

*edit: oh and welcome! :D
    *2nd edit: I think this is the path you should try to walk: link its not HDR but using Grad ND filters but something similar 'should' be possible to duplicate in HDR, but you should take it in another direction to do that. Just my opinion.
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • PhenomenologicalPhenomenological Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    to be frank, i think you have the eye, the scenery and the equipment but your not doing the scene justice with these HDR's. :nah

15524779-Ti.gif Although I'm not a huge fan of HDR processing generally. From my point of view HDR is a useful trick for getting the sky back into images, but I'm not one for using it to try to enhance the whole image. I just don't like the effect I guess. ne_nau.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 1, 2009

*2nd edit: I think this is the path you should try to walk: link its not HDR but using Grad ND filters but something similar 'should' be possible to duplicate in HDR, but you should take it in another direction to do that. Just my opinion.

Hey Chris,

Just to clarify, are you saying that HDR in general is not advisable for these scenes or that there is something faulty about these HDRs? ne_nau.gif
    edited August 1, 2009

thanks chris for giving time. thats what i heard also from my purist friends. i just find hdr really cool especially if you perfect the technique. bringing out the shadows and details is exciting! hahaclap.gif theses are just some of the hdrs ive done so far will be positng more soon.. cheers!
    edited August 1, 2009
    @chris let me know your thoughts on this one hdr or not? ne_nau.gifivar
    guys kindly give comments also.thumb.gif

PARADISE RESORT, SAMAL ISLAND
    3686866110_d15084f239_b.jpg
    edited August 1, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Hey Chris,

Just to clarify, are you saying that HDR in general is not advisable for these scenes or that there is something faulty about these HDRs? ne_nau.gif

I've seen my share of 'natural' looking and 'unnatural' looling HDR's here on dgrin and in general i think the natural looking hdrs go best with nature(l) and the unnatural with non-nature(l) like cities etc. im sure there are people that can blow me away with unnatural looking hdrs in a natural surrounding but these images don't (yet) IMO.
    edited August 1, 2009
    GORIO wrote:
    @chris let me know your thoughts on this one hdr or not? ne_nau.gifivar
    guys kindly give comments also.thumb.gif

PARADISE RESORT, SAMAL ISLAND
    3686866110_d15084f239_b.jpg

It doenst look very HDRish to me so its either a natural looking HDR or a normal exposure, guessing normal exposure but post processed for the highlights a bit. and? what is it? ne_nau.gifD
    edited August 1, 2009
    GORIO wrote:
    thanks chris for giving time. thats what i heard also from my purist friends. i just find hdr really cool especially if you perfect the technique. bringing out the shadows and details is exciting! hahaclap.gif theses are just some of the hdrs ive done so far will be positng more soon.. cheers!

totally agree that HDR's can be awesome! :D just not that enthousiastic about the first shots.. just an opinion though, others seem to like it thumb.gif
    edited August 1, 2009
    I've seen my share of 'natural' looking and 'unnatural' looling HDR's here on dgrin and in general i think the natural looking hdrs go best with nature(l) and the unnatural with non-nature(l) like cities etc.

come to think of it this is actually true! that's why when i look at some of the industrial pictures of my friends touched with hdr they really look nice and more dynamic. nice thought man!thumb.gif
    edited August 1, 2009
    you can go pretty far though; like this example
    http://gallery.zoom.nl/foto/full/1199323/landschap/staand-want.html
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Nice HDR work. Thanks for sharing! :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    As to the HDR: Like anything practice makes perfect but it is not for every shot-at least if you are trying to go with the natural look. If it is a scene that has a dynamic range that is too large for your camera and ND filters aren't going to get you there either then an HDR can pull the detail out of those under or over exposed areas.

The HDR "illustrative" or "Grungy" look IMO looks best on buildings/cars/some portraits, and it can look damn cool.

You've done a really good job with these expecially if you have just started, there is quite a bit of noise in the dark areas which is typical with HDR's and an easy fix.

I have seen some fantastic HDR's of landscape/waterscapes etc so it can be done, just keep at it Brother.
  • bhoglebhogle Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    you can go pretty far though; like this example
    http://gallery.zoom.nl/foto/full/1199323/landschap/staand-want.html

That does look beautiful. This shot nails the coveted 'moderate' HDR look.
  • bhoglebhogle Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    GORIO wrote:
    thanks dan for dropping byclap.gif

@scotv actually that's what most people say, haha i really hate that part also. it looks weird already after the tone mapping in photomatix. will crop that part, done!thumb.gif

Deviant is the best in the line up here. I don't think it should be cropped. The sky looks really good, and it gives the photo's composition a sense of awe. The foliage looks a bit flat, but I find that Photomatix tends to do that. I would like to see you try and blend in the normal exposure for the leaves.

The ND Grad look is nice, but just as HDR, it has its uses and its limits. Personally, I think ND Grad maybe obsolete in a couple years once sensors improve. Then again, perhaps tone mapping operators like photomatix will too! Keep working at, you have the eye!

Cheers,
    BHO
    www.brianoglephotography.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Very nice work !
    Keep posting
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery