Snoqualmie Falls, Part Two

bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
edited August 3, 2009 in Landscapes
So I went back to the falls to catch almost the same shot as my night shot but this time at dusk. I think it turned out nice, and now I can't decide which one I should print! :dunno Thoughts?

Day Shot:

607556281_8w9y8-XL.jpg

Night Shot:

605186769_yWCPL-XL.jpg

Comments

• RobbugRobbug Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Well, in my opinion, the night shot is much more dramatic. There is much more light tension. While the first shot of the falls implies great motion, the second shot makes it more peaceful.

Oh and the power lines are better hidden in the night shot. That was the very first thing that caught my eye in the second shot. I thought - huh those power lines kinds suck being there. The night shot makes you look for them.

So I would use the night shot for the print if I were in your shoes.

Rob
    www.refractivephotos.com

The Holy Trinity of Photography - Light, Color, and Gesture
  • PhenomenologicalPhenomenological Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Another vote for the night shot here, I find the lighting a lot more interesting. :)
  • GORIOGORIO Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    DAY SHOT clap.gif looking at the details of the mountains/cliffs is already awesome! you can also see some foreground those shrubs on the lower left part then add the dynamics of the falls that's just striking!

for the night shot some parts are underexposed for me. the light on the house and creamy falls are just not enough to beat the day shot.. thumb.gif
    "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea and Ideas are Bulletproof..."
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    oohhh difficult.. by small margin the night shot! thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • xxclixxxxxclixxx Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    I like the night shot. Day shot I thought nice, but normal. Night I was like wow that's cool. Or you could print both and put it in a glass frame back to back that spins so you can flip them. Although I've only seen that for wallet sized prints..
    Tim Linden
    http://www.riphoto.com/
    Please Vote - External Shopping Cart Links:
    http://uservoice.com/a/mL8RD
  • Kayaking-N-SCKayaking-N-SC Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    I vote for the night shot. The lighting in the night shot focuses the eye on the falls and has more drama to it. The day shot is nice, but I would drop the exposure on the rocks to the left of the falls a half stop or so. I think they tend to draw the eye away from the falls as you look at the photo.

Great work on both. I wish I had made it up there while I was out in Seattle.
    Thomas
    Columbia, SC

Canon 5DmkII / 40D / 24-105 F4 L / LensBaby Composer

TLKPhotos.SmugMug.com
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback everyone - I think the night shot wins as well. Although I may print both and put them side-by-side on the wall...:D
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Very nice, Bob! I vote for the night shot as well. thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    I agree with everyone, but they are both very good. thumb.gifthumb.gif
  • ritewingerritewinger Registered Users Posts: 243 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Print them both. I don't want to choose, they are both great! :D
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Both are great. My vote goes to the night shot.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Of these, I prefer the night shot, though I think the day shot could be improved with a little more detail/color in the sky (either by an exposure blend or by using a 2 or 3-stop soft GND). If you do print the night shot you'll probably want to clone out that small section in the bottom left.

I haven't photographed the falls for a long time, need to get back out there it's only 20 minutes from my apartment. If you're there you might want to try Lake Borst too at sunset (look at Google Maps, you make a right turn just after crossing the bridge over the river to the falls), there's a brilliant reflection of Mt. Si. After the sunset light has peaked you can zoom over to Snoqualmie Falls and shoot it in the next 10-15 minutes and also get some good light.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Both are very good
    For print i vote for Night clap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Secluded ValleySecluded Valley Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Both shots are beautiful. I vote for the night shot too. I think the lighting is more dramatic.

Kristine
    "How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains!" ~John Muir