Options

Ch 41: Knight Moves

erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
edited June 26, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi everyone. I finally got around to doing something for the challenge so here is my entry. All comments welcomed.

26023463-L.jpg

Below is the same photo but framed:

26024282-L.jpg

Does the frame help the presentation in this case?

Erich

Comments

• Options
    thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Personally I don't like the frame. I think the reason is because the white boarder tends to lighten the shot and I think it works better as a moody dark piece. Maybe just a black boarder?...
    I especially like how all the kings men have to look on from the side lines.
    Now, the movie Knight Moves... did you know the movie before you shot the title? I've just never heard of the movie.
    Great shot. Fits the title. The "little horsie" was always my favorite piece even though I never learn how to play chess very well.
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    Yes. I watched Knight Moves when it came out in '92. It's a movie about a chess player serial killer that uses his game tactics to plan his killing moves. That's why I thought the darker tones would work with the theme of the movie. Showing the knights setting up the check mate was part of the thought here. I tried to emphasize that with the knight shadows falling over the tumbled king. Also, I tried to get the action of the king falling to get more of a dynamic feel to the shot but ultimately showing the shadow of the fallen king very prominently to make it clear that it was done for.

It was hard to make the shot and I think I was limited by the photograhpic equipment (or lack thereof) and, frankly, cheapy props but I thought it turned out OK.

Thanks for the comments!

Erich
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Yes, I would go without the frame. Makes me want to go take my frames off all my photos. Yours is soo much better.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Knight moves?
    I think the movie Chess is more applicable. Only because I can't see the knight moving, unless its that blurred piece. I would also photoshop out the name on the chessboard because its distracting, but otherwise great photo - good angle - great contrasts and effect.clap.gif
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    This is a great idea and photo. I personally like really simple frames, myself. If I were you, I'd go with a frame, but make it something plain, like just black, or plain black outside and plain white inside, and much thinner than the one you have there. I find that elaborate borders only distract, and really it's mostly there just to seperate the photo from the surroundings.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2005
    OK. How about this one?

26181222-L.jpg

Thanks for all the comments!

Erich
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005