Options

Raw Therapee 2.4 final

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,893 moderator
edited September 7, 2009 in Finishing School
Raw Therapee 2.4 has been at "Release Candidate" for a long time, but is finally released as "Final". I have downloaded and installed but I have not yet tested the latest release. I have been using the RC version for months mow and it is pretty good stuff.

For Windows and Linux.

http://www.rawtherapee.com/
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Raw Therapee 2.4 has been at "Release Candidate" for a long time, but is finally released as "Final". I have downloaded and installed but I have not yet tested the latest release. I have been using the RC version for months mow and it is pretty good stuff.

For Windows and Linux.

Thanks, Ziggy.:D

Can you tell us what you like about this program (other than the free aspect)?

Are there any advantages over the bridge/acr combo?
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2009
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Thanks, Ziggy.:D

Can you tell us what you like about this program (other than the free aspect)?

Are there any advantages over the bridge/acr combo?

It has a very competent noise reduction section with separate Luminance and Chrominance adjustment.

About the only true advantages over ACR/PSCS4 are the ability to process RAW files and sharpen using a deconvolution method ACR/PS requires you to do this in the PS program as a second step after ACR) and RAW Therapee will run on Windows 2000 "and" still open Canon 5D MKII files (Adobe requires a later version of ACR which only runs on XP and above.) I have an older laptop with Win 2000 so I can use it (RAW Therapee) to process the latest RAW images from all of my cameras.

Linux option is another relative feature.

On the flip side RAW Therapee is slower and not suited for batch processing (yet). The author is claiming batch file processing for a subsequent release.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Interesting...Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Raw Therapee is free (but not Open Source), and provides a very high quality raw conversion. It also runs in Linux, which is obviously important for those using that environment.
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2009
    Another advantage for RAW Therapee is that it will open some raster file formats (JPG, TIFF, etc.), in addition to most RAW file formats. Since it works in 16 bit mode, that's an advantage over The GIMP. for instance.

No layers or masks but it has an interesting "History" feature that can be recorded (Profiles), something like an "Action" in PhotoShop.

You also get to choose among 3 different demosaicing algorithms, EAHD and HPHD and VNG-4.

USM sharpening has an optional unique "Halo Control" that actually works.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2009
    RawTherapee V2.4.1, a bug fix and DCRaw update, has been released.

ziggy53