Blame Hoofie...

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited August 3, 2009 in Sports
... and Snowgirl. :D

You see, after I read your thread, Snowgirl, I decided on a whim to google local horseshow activity just, you know, to see what folks did around here. And this weekend there was a 3-day hunter/eq show about 10 miles away. I mean, what else COULD I do but go and check it out????!!??? :dunno:tiptoe:photo

I PROMISE I stayed way out of the way of the official 'tog (completely and totally - easily done because of the layout) and quietly got on with taking some shots for fun. I preface this by saying that the last time I took any over fences shots was as a teenager with a Pentax ME Super, iow, manual focus (please, don't remind me - I KNOW how long ago that was!! :rofl) I was actually surprised I got as many keepers as I did..........

In any case, nuttin' special, but I just had to share :D

(just realise as posting that I blew out the exposure on his flank - whoops, time to reprocess...)

607856897_KERed-L.jpg

With what I will always think of as the "Fallaw Vignette" :rofl

607856866_REBmE-L.jpg

I'll slink back to people and challenges now, but just couldn't resist. Wasn't as much fun as riding, but was still teh awesome to be around some horse. Ah me... :lust

Comments

• SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    You've been bitten!
    Oh oh. You've been infected with the horse show shutterbug disease.

Not bad! The whole vignette thing is really popular (again) right now.

We have a Quarter Horse Show in town this week-end. 4 days of slow moving, 4-beating, loping that my 76-year-old mother could walk faster than... - oh, don't get me started headscratch.gif But, since i do the PR for the Show Centre, i will head down and get a few pics. I was there earlier today but my heart wasn't in it and the photos show it - so I'll try again tomorrow with more enthusiasm.

It is fun, isn't it? Even when it's frustrating and exasperating.ne_nau.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Now I go into the fields for one little weekend and look what happens.... Divavum shoots a horse show and they create this new thing that has to do with crude oil??

Hey, nicely timed shots there. I see you've discovered the old "blown out grey horse" trick... I haven't quite figured out how to handle it either, other than to underexpose until nothing is blown out..

Here's a challenge: Do what all of the "hunter" photographers do and turn that ear. Called an "ear-fix." They sell it for $15 per 4x6, included with an 8x10. Then there's the "canon fix" and the "rider leg fix." Try one!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Uncle!!
    HoofClix wrote:
    Now I go into the fields for one little weekend and look what happens.... Divavum shoots a horse show and they create this new thing that has to do with crude oil??

Hey, nicely timed shots there. I see you've discovered the old "blown out grey horse" trick... I haven't quite figured out how to handle it either, other than to underexpose until nothing is blown out..

Here's a challenge: Do what all of the "hunter" photographers do and turn that ear. Called an "ear-fix." They sell it for $15 per 4x6, included with an 8x10. Then there's the "canon fix" and the "rider leg fix." Try one!

:s85

The space-time continuum bends as Diva heads to a horseshow for the first time in ::cough:: years... rolleyes1.gif

Ok, leg-fix no problem. Canon fix presumably = pulling up/straightening a foreleg as needed, and I can also see how to do that. But fixing that ear? eek7.gif Is one allowed to cheat and use one from another shot? I can see how i would do it in a head-on shot (easy, borrow the other ear and miror it), but I can't figure out how to use what's already in that image to make a realistic ear, simply because we're only seeing the INSIDE of it (and only the inside of the pricked one so it doesn't work to mirror that one)... and we need the outside! All the warping in the world isn't giving me the outside of a new ear.... headscratch.gifdunno I bow down to your greater knowledge bowdown.gif

Btw, pretty much all of them had an ear cocked over that fence. I wonder what they knew about that the rest of us couldn't hear?!
    edited August 3, 2009
    Snowgirl wrote:
    Oh oh. You've been infected with the horse show shutterbug disease.

Not bad! The whole vignette thing is really popular (again) right now.

We have a Quarter Horse Show in town this week-end. 4 days of slow moving, 4-beating, loping that my 76-year-old mother could walk faster than... - oh, don't get me started headscratch.gif But, since i do the PR for the Show Centre, i will head down and get a few pics. I was there earlier today but my heart wasn't in it and the photos show it - so I'll try again tomorrow with more enthusiasm.

It is fun, isn't it? Even when it's frustrating and exasperating.ne_nau.gif

Ha! Not sure about "bitten", but man it was like rolling back the clock to be there; something about even being around the critters made the day seem complete and right. Sure wish I had the money and time to get back into it, but somehow Real Life has a way of getting in the way.....
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Nice looking shots. I'm not a fan of the white vingettes, but the piccie within it is good :D

I'm still putting my feet back on the ground after a whole week of horsie stuff. Jumped 3-foot fences for the first time as a prep for a 4-day eventing intro. Cross-country is FUN! (pics are in the pipeline) :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    pyry wrote:
    Nice looking shots. I'm not a fan of the white vingettes, but the piccie within it is good :D

I'm still putting my feet back on the ground after a whole week of horsie stuff. Jumped 3-foot fences for the first time as a prep for a 4-day eventing intro. Cross-country is FUN! (pics are in the pipeline) :D

Congrats. Hope you enjoy. My last (in all ways) cross-country course was in the Fossils Over Fences division - i.e. allegedly mature adults to scared to jump anything higher than 2.5 - 3 feet. That was me.

Unfortunately now my health won't let me ride more than occasionally and at a more sedate pace. rolleyes1.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited August 3, 2009
    pyry wrote:

The vignette was added somewhat tongue-in-cheek - there was a quite well-known US show photog who always used to do that, and I knew HOofie would catch the reference... :D

Good for you x-country, P - I always got so nervous when I knew the fences wouldn't fall down that I'd get myself into all sorts of trouble, even when they weren't all that high....
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    The vignette was added somewhat tongue-in-cheek - there was a quite well-known US show photog who always used to do that, and I knew HOofie would catch the reference... :D

Good for you x-country, P - I always got so nervous when I knew the fences wouldn't fall down that I'd get myself into all sorts of trouble, even when they weren't all that high....

Hi Divamum, I have just seen your thread and I like both shots. I see exactly what you mean by timing. I do not like photoing white horses. That goes the same for white cars in rallies as I usually have big problems with blow outs.
    I think that is a cracking shot of the vignette you have done. I will have a go at that.
    Cheers
    Bob