Jekyll Island

stevek1006stevek1006 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited August 3, 2009 in Landscapes
This is my first post here. These are some shots I took at Driftwood Beach on Jekyll Island in April. C&C welcome.

527063880_GHGi5-L-3.jpg

523310956_RxtPa-L-3.jpg

607789806_KrCGw-L.jpg

And a couple from the other side of the island...
523316123_q6TxJ-L-1.jpg

523310587_h3cXS-L-1.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Welcome to Dgrin. This is a beautiful series of which I like 1 and 2 the best. clap.gif

Dan
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Steven, welcome to Dgrin! clap.gif
    Great series!
    #2 steals the thunder for me! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Welcome !
    These are beautiful photographs !!! looking forward for more.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • jsruccijsrucci Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Settings?
    Steve, great pictures! What settings did you use for those shots?

Thanks,
    Steve

http://www.steverucci.com

Use this code to get a discount when joining Smugmug: FmsEHhiPzBxic
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 2, 2009
    Cool photographs. I like these.

Do you ever see alligators in the surf there on Jekyll, Steve??

I have, big ones, too........
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    # 2 is the best. It is great the following is just some things to think about next time.
    You said C&C welcome mwink.gif
    One problem I see with it though is the flow of the lines in the root draws the eyes away from the cneter of the picture. I would have liked to see the flow of lines up and to the center. The shot would have been immensely improved by having the root to the right and so the flow of the line drew you eye up from the bottom into the center of the picture.
    Of course circumstances probably were that this was the only choice for where the root could be.
    #3 has the flow with the foam moving the up through the picture. That one would have been better if the wood was larger in the foreground.
    -Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • stevek1006stevek1006 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 2, 2009
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Steve - The Driftwood Beach shots were all taken with a 3-stop GND filter. All shots taken with a Canon 50D (so 1.6 crop factor).
    #1 - 11mm; 1.0 sec @ f/19
    #2 - 11mm; 1/2 sec @ f/11
    #3 - 11mm; 1.5 sec @ f/9.5
    #4 - 75mm; 1/60 sec @ f/11
    #5 - 12mm; 1/8 sec @ f/8

Pathfinder - I saw no alligators in the surf. Good thing, since I might not have been willing to set up my tripod so far into the surf :D.

Philip - Thanks for the feedback. #3 has been a challenge for me. In many ways, it is the picture that most feels like the experience on the beach in the early morning before much light was available. But it also is not quite right. I have tried a lot in post including bringing up the contrast in the foam and adding the sun, since it as actually shot during nautical twilight. I see your point about #2. Maybe you would like this one better with the roots more exposed and pointing back to the sun. I liked them both, but thought the higher sun and larger clump of driftwood on the right helped to balance the foreground stump.
    608578132_MQCGk-L.jpg

Again, thanks to all!
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Welcome to Drin, Steve! You've made quite a "splash" with the shots. I hope to see more of your work. thumb.gifclap.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    stevek1006 wrote:
    Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Steve - The Driftwood Beach shots were all taken with a 3-stop GND filter. All shots taken with a Canon 50D (so 1.6 crop factor).
    #1 - 11mm; 1.0 sec @ f/19
    #2 - 11mm; 1/2 sec @ f/11
    #3 - 11mm; 1.5 sec @ f/9.5
    #4 - 75mm; 1/60 sec @ f/11
    #5 - 12mm; 1/8 sec @ f/8

Pathfinder - I saw no alligators in the surf. Good thing, since I might not have been willing to set up my tripod so far into the surf :D.

Philip - Thanks for the feedback. #3 has been a challenge for me. In many ways, it is the picture that most feels like the experience on the beach in the early morning before much light was available. But it also is not quite right. I have tried a lot in post including bringing up the contrast in the foam and adding the sun, since it as actually shot during nautical twilight. I see your point about #2. Maybe you would like this one better with the roots more exposed and pointing back to the sun. I liked them both, but thought the higher sun and larger clump of driftwood on the right helped to balance the foreground stump.

Again, thanks to all!

Of the two (the original #2 and this different composition) I still like the first #2. While this one does a better job of moving the eye through the picture with the roots behind the stump, and the lines in the stump, this newer version doesn't have anything to move the eye towards. The clouds and the sun in the newer version is not as good. Of course on its own this new one is still great.
    Oh in case I didn't say they're all great shots.

-Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Hi and welcome to Dgrin! wave.gif These are great and absolutely quintessential summertime shots. Thanks for sharing them! The first two are gorgeous, although the vignetting/darkness near the top is a bit strong. I assume this is a result of the GND filter, but I don't have one myself so I'm not one to talk lol3.gif

I just love the shot with the bridge. It doesn't have as much motion as the first few, but I think the color and serenity coming from it more than makes up for that.

I really hope that we see lots more photos from you here! :D