HDR? How Can I shoot it?

justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
edited August 3, 2009 in Technique
I own a Nikon D200 how do I shoot HDR shots with it? I have seen some HDR shots but want to know what it is and how can I take pictures like that?

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    justin24 wrote:
    I own a Nikon D200 how do I shoot HDR shots with it? I have seen some HDR shots but want to know what it is and how can I take pictures like that?
    It's not the camera... most of the time at least.
    You take several frames changing the shutter speed. It's called exposure bracketing. You can do do it manually (simply adjusting shutter speed) or automatically (your camera should have a special bracketing mode for this). The key is to ensure that your frames cover the entire exposure specturm. Use the RGB histogram to ensure that. Your brightest frame should have at least 1/4..1/2 stop "lead" on the bright side (albeit with the sun in the frame it's not always possible), and your darkest frame should have similar 1/4..1/2 stop lead on the dark side. Depending on the circumstances you may jump by 1..1.5 stops between frames. 3 frames is minimum, 5 or more can be beneficial.

Good tripod and cable release is a must, although sometimes you can do it handheld...

Then you load the results into the (HDR-aware) photoeditor - and that's where the magic begins. Google/search for HDR for details.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • waitmanwaitman Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 3, 2009
    justin24 wrote:
    I experimented with HDR with a point and shoot, just for fun. This photo is nine shots of myself overlayed. The original shot looks very dorky, lol. But this one I really like because it makes me think of sparrows flying overhead, oooohhhhmmmmm deep humming in the background with backmasked led zepplin chirping in like it's satanic and whatnot. ;-)
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    I use Photomatix(http://www.hdrsoft.com/) to do my HDR work. It is a great program and really easy to learn. I am still fairly new to HDR, but I am loving it. Here are a few of examples of what I have done.

589982122_LTwN8-L.jpg

606315843_AvAJd-L.jpg

542576298_gNEcq-L.jpg

537203092_o8kqW-L.jpg
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95