graduation day

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited June 27, 2005 in People
it's hard to believe that this young man

26032283-M-1.jpg

26032907-M-1.jpg

it's gonna be heartbreak city for these two, she's heading out to arizona for college, he's going to stay in ny :uhoh

26032328-M.jpg

of course, had to get the "money shot" :lol3

26032366-M.jpg

started out as this boy :lol3

325504-S-1.jpg

just back from a wonderful graduation day celebration today, how exciting -- you can just feel then energy ready to be unleashed by the 500 graduates :thumb so, my oldest is off to college now, in fact entering the u.s. navy rotc program... very exciting and he's thrilled as he's going to get to continue to fly planes.

above shots with 1Ds Mark II and canon 135 f/2L. shot in raw and converted with ps cs 2. shooting with this sharp glass that yields excellent color and contrast really cuts down on post processing. these shots were album ready out of the camera....

Comments

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2005
    Congrats Andy!
    One down 3 to go? What beauiful children you have. Since I met you I am asumming your wife is a supermodel:D
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 24, 2005
    congratulations Andy. Very handsome boy.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Wow Dad
    andy wrote:

it's gonna be heartbreak city for these two, she's heading out to arizona for college, he's going to stay in ny :uhoh
    of course, had to get the "money shot" lol3.gif
    started out as this boy lol3.gif

just back from a wonderful graduation day celebration today, how exciting -- you can just feel then energy ready to be unleashed by the 500 graduates thumb.gif so, my oldest is off to college now, in fact entering the u.s. navy rotc program... very exciting and he's thrilled as he's going to get to continue to fly planes.

above shots with 1Ds Mark II and canon 135 f/2L. shot in raw and converted with ps cs 2. shooting with this sharp glass that yields excellent color and contrast really cuts down on post processing. these shots were album ready out of the camera....
    Hi ya Andy, my eldest nephew graduated from High School two years ago and is now in his Second Year at University.........he changed his career plan after the first year at University, and decided Music was his first Love.

He is now at the Melbourne University studying Music and loving every minute of it, I have seen him perform on several occassions, it's wonderful to see him do something he loves.....he is also the only member of family to ever finish school and attend University.

How proud are you of your Son hu :D and what an exciting career he has chosen.
    I wish him all the best for the future.......lovely series of images Andy.

Trev's got a long way to go rolleyes1.gif don't give up your day job yet Andy ya still got 3 more to put through Uni yet :D Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Andy, congrats to...
    your son on passing this milestone of life thumb.gif . Sounds like he's off to a great future (Navy ROTC-flying another very big thumb.gif ). To me, this is proof positive of a fine upbringing, which you and your wife have obviously provided him. So, congrats as well to you and your DW on a job well done.

He is quite a handsome lad, I guess he takes after his mother? :uhoh

................................:hide :Drolleyes1.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I'm still trying to figure out how someone took that shot of you reading to your son with a Canon 135L and a 1DS II headscratch.gif . Anyway, easy to see where some of his good looks come from-you are quite the handsome father in that last pic!

Oh, and btw...

the pitchas' are real nice too rolleyes1.gif

Take care,

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Didn't go to my graduation ceremony. Makes me depressed yet happy for the person.

Great photographs though! I wish I had gotten great ones of Kasey's, my portrait photography isn't that good.
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Congrats Andy!

The best of everything to your son and family!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Andy, great shots as always, pass our congratulations along to your son... thumb.gif
  • DeanMcMDeanMcM Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Congratulations Andy!
    I am sure you are very proud! Congratulations.

Great shots (as usual) thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    Dean - New York
    Canon Rebel Xsi, Fuji FinePix F10
    mcphoto.smugmug.com
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    I love shot number two. Enjoy the moment Andy, and my best wishes to the grad :-)
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Congratulations, Andy!
    Yuri
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Congratulations, andy! And congratulations to your son.

He is very handsome. And you must be very proud and excited for him! I know I would be.

What great color and great exposure on the photos.

ann
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Congratulations to your son - is that his girlfriend? She's hot. icon10.gif I'd be sad, too! At my school the gold cord symbolizes academic achievement for all 12 terms-- is that what it was for him, too? If so, congrats. I'm en route for it as well.

Beautiful pictures. The candids aren't something we usually see from you. They look so professional!

Owen
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Owen wrote:
    Congratulations to your son - is that his girlfriend? She's hot. icon10.gif I'd be sad, too! At my school the gold cord symbolizes academic achievement for all 12 terms-- is that what it was for him, too? If so, congrats. I'm en route for it as well.

Beautiful pictures. The candids aren't something we usually see from you. They look so professional!

Owen

hiya owen wave.gif yep - she is a cutie, isn't she? yeah, the gold cord symbolizes high honors, over the four years of high school :D

as regards candid or "album shooting" i try hard to do my best for these - the hardest critic is my dear wife lol3.gif anyhow, for the graduation, i scoped out the right spot ... this was a big venue for the graduation and we were in the rear

26032772-L.jpg

so, i had to think quickly, which lens, and where would i stand? i moved down to an area in the wings, and shot with my 135L ... got everything except the handing of the diploma, that was blocked by the hired pro - and i'm cool with that, he'll have gotten a great shot and we'll purchase that :D

thanks owen, for stopping by, and saying hello :D
    edited June 26, 2005
    andy wrote:

so, i had to think quickly, which lens, and where would i stand? i moved down to an area in the wings, and shot with my 135L ... got everything except the handing of the diploma, that was blocked by the hired pro - and i'm cool with that, he'll have gotten a great shot and we'll purchase that :D
    Yeah andy, I know how the hired pro thing goes. The best shot I got at Kasey's graduation was this:

graduation29wb.jpg

The pro photographer was in the way, I couldn't get the diploma shot :(
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Congrats mate...a proud day...stella shots thumb.gif Gus
  • gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    andy wrote:
    of course, had to get the "money shot" lol3.gif
    started out as this boy lol3.gif
    just back from a wonderful graduation day celebration today, how exciting -- you can just feel then energy ready to be unleashed by the 500 graduates thumb.gif so, my oldest is off to college now, in fact entering the u.s. navy rotc program... very exciting and he's thrilled as he's going to get to continue to fly planes.
    Andy,

Just a beautiful series of an event and son that must make you very proud. BTW- who's the dude with the dark hair in the shot of him as a little guy? Laughing.gif

regards,

Gary
    edited June 26, 2005
    The coloration is beautiful too, post processing?
    edited June 26, 2005
    The coloration is beautiful too, post processing?

did you see in my original post - i always try to discuss what post processing i've done.... deal.gif

thanks
    edited June 26, 2005
    You just said you cut down on it. Come on, tell what else you've done! mwink.gif
    edited June 26, 2005
    read more please....
    You just said you cut down on it. Come on, tell what else you've done! mwink.gif

andy wrote:
    these shots were album ready out of the camera

the lenses used were: canon 16-35 f/2.8L, and canon 135 f/2L
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 26, 2005
    Very nice work Andy!

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited June 26, 2005
    andy wrote:
    the lenses used were: canon 16-35 f/2.8L, and canon 135 f/2L
    Anything similar in sharpness for pentax?
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Congratulations Andy! clap.gif I was thinkin bout ya. I love number two as well.. love the look in his eyes. clap.gifclap.gif
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Incredible
    I have to say that these are some of the best graduation pictures I've ever seen! The lighting was fantastic. Did you use a fill flash at all? If you didn't then you were really lucky with the lighting!

Your son looks so self assured and confident, a fine looking young man indeed. Congratulations to all. Sorry you couldn't get the diploma shot and I hope the one the pro took came out as well as your other photos.
    edited June 27, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    I have to say that these are some of the best graduation pictures I've ever seen! The lighting was fantastic. Did you use a fill flash at all? If you didn't then you were really lucky with the lighting!

Your son looks so self assured and confident, a fine looking young man indeed. Congratulations to all. Sorry you couldn't get the diploma shot and I hope the one the pro took came out as well as your other photos.

thanks dee :D no, i didn't use flash. the light was great... and i had great material to work with! thanks for the kind words dee