Yellow Tint?

Mark1123Mark1123 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited August 5, 2009 in Technique
I've been getting a yellowish cast on a lot of my pictures that I take in direct sunlight. I went to Natural Bridge State Park today and took almost 100 pictures. Most of them have the same yellow tint to them. I shoot in RAW but I'm still having a hard time getting the yellow out. Any suggestions?

608184530_BKSET-M.jpg
Date Taken 2009-08-01 17:38:11
Camera NIKON D300
Exposure Time 0.001s (1/1000)
Aperture f/3.5
ISO 200
Focal Length 18mm (27mm in 35mm)
Photo Dimensions 4320 x 2868
File Name Natural Bridge_005 600w.jpg
File Size 2.74 MB

I'm not crazy about this particular picture, but it's a good example of what I'm seeing.

Thanks,
Mark
If you never know an enemy, how do you understand the worth of a friend?

Comments

• W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    Mark1123 wrote:
    Most of them have the same yellow tint to them. I shoot in RAW but I'm still having a hard time getting the yellow out. Any suggestions?
    I think it's likely be a white balance issue that is quite usual, and that you can correct in post-production. mwink.gif
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    I agree that it is probably an easily fixed WB issue. Try playing with your WB settings in camera, as well as in post. Also, if it were me, I'd probably use a smaller aperture, to avoid blowing the sky and other highlights. Remember your Sunny 16 rule!
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    get a whitebalance card, and shoot a pic of it on location. When you process your RAW, simply do a whitebalance on the card, then copy this whitebalance setting to all your shots at that location.

You can also use the whitebalance shot to set custom whitebalance in your camera, but I find this not flexible enough for changing light conditions, I would rather take a new whitebalance reference shot and handle in post processing.

I can recommend:

WhitBal: http://www.rawworkflow.com/whibal/

Photovision: http://www.photovisionvideo.com/store/CTGY/DCT/
  • Mark1123Mark1123 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Thanks to everyone for the tips...and introducing me to the Sunny 16 rule!

Mark
    If you never know an enemy, how do you understand the worth of a friend?