Magic Carpet Ride

shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
edited August 4, 2009 in People
Had time for a shoot today. Always fun when the kids direct the shot. Not enough time in post, but a good first step.

608318650_NPGos-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Very cool, Steven! thumb.gifbowdown.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Wow, pretty cool.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 2, 2009
    Fun shot. Well done. clap.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    I agree......WAY cool!!!

...and...uh...we have missed you on Dgrin!.:D
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Very cool. What's your setup like?

Lee
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Very cool.:D
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited August 2, 2009
    Now: I know it's an early draft, but in case you decide to work on that more here are a few pointers I noticed:
    1. Moon shadows are *never* soft. Shadows on the carpet are.
    2. The void area under the carpet is full of noise and looks sloppy. The patches below supposed to be the moonlit earth (I think? headscratch.gif ), but the clouds pattern behind the carpet would prevent anything there to be lit at all. I think you may want to stick with the clouds as the bg.
    3. Moonlight is known for "stealing" the colors, especially anything red. Girl's skin is more on a pink/magenta side. Some selective hue/(de)saturation can fix this. Same about the carpet.
    4. I'm not even talking about the fact the girl's face is away from the only suggested light source yet still lit perfectly... oh well, that's *magic* carpet afterall :-).
    5. The middle carpet section on the right still touches the invisible floor. However, giving the existing light/shadow structure, nothing Liquify couldn't fix :-)
    Once again, awesome idea and great execution! thumb.gif
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Magical

I bet your kids say your the coolest dad. I'd have to agree.

Peace always, gail
  • digidronedigidrone Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Beautiful work and I loved your gallery material "entries"!
    Sure wish my kids would let me play....sniffle
    thanks for sharing
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Love it! Very neat idea! :)
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I miss being around more. I still try to pop in and see what the rest of you are doing. Great work!! Many of you have really improved a lot! I consider many of you as friends and appreciate your kindness and support. Best wishes to all of you.

Nikolai, thank you for the evaluative look and comments. Very keen and exact. I like that. Thank you. The lights in the clouds were suppose to be cities peaking through the clouds. I debated the strength of the shadow and the moon. With a sheer material, I wondered if the shadow would be softened as the material would allow some light through but fade as it thickened and merged in with the body shadow. Guess I'll have to do a "moon" test.

Here are some behind the scenes photos. The final was made of 10 photos. Not all of them are included in this set. The moon was created in Photoshop along with the sky and the smoke from the magic lamp.

Background photo
    610393715_mLsv2-L.jpg

The Rug
    610345167_6GV9Y-L.jpg

The City(s)
    Taken with my iphone out the plane window. Any guesses of what city it is?
    610343828_3N7NC-L.jpg

Main Flying photo
    610395337_wHCap-L.jpg

Tassel for the carpet
    610391487_tRJdV-L.jpg

Legs
    610393432_Anuk3-L.jpg

Lighting Setup; notice the bare strobe in the back right corner. That replicated the moon light.
    610408393_JHy5q-L.jpg

Magic Lamp
    610395087_BwrWQ-L.jpg

There were some other photos used as well for the pony tail and head gear and face.

And this is what we ended up with.
    608318650_NPGos-L.jpg

Thanks for looking and for the comments.
    edited August 4, 2009
    Steven,
    always a pleasure to see the setup shots! Thank you very much for sharing!thumb.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Nice to see a post of yours! Your put-all-the-pieces-together shots are completely amazing to me. What a great concept, and you are so skilled to see it and then make it happen. Great stuff!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    WOW, I have not a clue how to do this kind of photography and combine it all together, but it sure is awesome!! Great photo!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    I absolutely loved your magic carpet picture. I have been dying to try these types of photos. Do you have anymore?? Where did you get the tutorials for these types of photos (if you have any will you share?) and photoshop or did you teach yourself. There is a great website (perhaps you've seen it) with a lot of these types of photos. http://www.bymichaelo.com/carve.htm
    Courtney
    Courtney
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    I love the picture! Such a great idea, and well executed (thanks for the explanations, BTW - sharing secrets :D) The only nit-pick that I would have is to suggest that she washes the soles of her feet… eek7.gif)

That's it (…it's them damned details again!!)

Nice job, thanks for sharing thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    So great to see you posting one of your crazily imaginative shots again! clap.gif I've really missed your creative endeavours. Another awesome shot (your kids must have a blast!), and I love seeing your behind the scenes, as always. Hope you'll get to drop in more. thumb.gif