Shanghai Streetscape - Early August Evening

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited August 3, 2009 in People
I went for a walk yesterday evening around my neighbourhood. It was a drizzling to light rain so everything was shiny. Everything is SooC. I have a question on technique on getting better results under these sort of lighting and focussing conditions. I feel I was able to control exposure (M) on the subjects fairly well but I had a hard time getting solid focus using the autofocus and manual focus was next to impossible with the mist on the viewfinder and my glasses. Critique and hints on shooting technique very welcome. Here are some of the shots.
1)
607861747_ksbVG-L.jpg
2)
607861347_CXBWo-L.jpg
3)
607858182_ajcfm-L.jpg

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Your profile says your have a D300. I'm surprised that you had difficulty with the AF on this camera. Is there a setting you were using?

If you have a speedlight, you might try using its focus light, though that would give away your position.
    1. Gives me the slight feeling of, aprehension, like what is down that path? Was this what you were trying to do?

I think that with #2, maybe get a bit closer? Just realy zoom in on the man and boy, and move over a bit so that you can completely crop the woman out all together? I think its a nice pose and look on the dad and boy, but the woman isn't looking at the camera. So getting in close might further emphasize the two who are looking at the camera. If it is the family you'd like to emphasize, then again, maybe show the woman's face?

3. I think I like this photo, maybe the best. What immediately strikes me is the group of three people in the center. The only downside is that they are a bit far away, and the guy is cut off by the pole. I think one of the reasons this photo grabs me is that I spent a good bit of time in GZ, China, so I'm familliar with this. It captures the night pretty well. One thing that you sort of got in the photo is the shop on the left. I'm not exactly sure what you have here, but I'd frequently see little factories with 2-3 people inside. They'd only be open at night. I'd maybe shift composition to the left a bit, and try to emphasize both groups of people? I just have an interest in the shop on the left too, and it appears cut off a bit. You might also want to get in a slight be closer. But like I said, this photo does get my attention the most for some reason.

I hope my comments are what you are looking for.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    I was using the "9-point" setting and moving the centre point to the target focus area as quickly as I could. The "51-point" system would often pick up elements of the frame that I knew were not where I wanted focus and wouldn't work given the DoF I would have. I think I will use "single-point" in similar situations in the future. It might take a second or two more, but at least there wouldn't be any doubt.

Actually, the alleyway had an inviting feel for me, but I can see what you mean. I think the vertical nature of the pipes and shadows lends to that.

#2, for me at least, is an example of needing to get closer to the subject and wider with the set up. I was part of the scene, but there wasn't a reasonable way to ask the mother to back up. I was in their space, not they mine. It's really difficult to get within one or two meters with the 50mm without losing too much of the setting. Feels like an excuse to go shopping.

I like #3 as well and agree that a slightly different composition might work. I can always give it another try when it's wet outside. As far as getting closer is concerned, you would have found me on the bonnet of this:
    607858839_dwUh3-M.jpg
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Feels like an excuse to go shopping. *Cough cough* 70-200!

As far as getting closer is concerned, you would have found me on the bonnet of this:
    HAHA! Point taken.
    :D

Personally, I rarely use the multi-point focus setting. I find the single point is fast and accurate. The only time I switch is when I'm shooting a rapidly moving subject, especially a small one, like a bird. Your thoughts on this?