Options

its a big event for me anyway

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited June 25, 2005 in The Big Picture
Going to see 12 punk bands tonight...just rang the promoter & asked if they had a photog & if not can i lob with my camera & gear. They said i was welcome to shoot it up close as they didnt have anyone there.

Just goes to show it pays to ask !

Gus (whom was a punk way back in '82 & now has nothing suitable to wear !!)

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Going to see 12 punk bands tonight...just rang the promoter & asked if they had a photog & if not can i lob with my camera & gear. They said i was welcome to shoot it up close as they didnt have anyone there.

Just goes to show it pays to ask !

Gus (whom was a punk way back in '82 & now has nothing suitable to wear !!)

rock on!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't forget to use some negative ec ... minus 1/3, minus 2/3s... i usually go on av mode, iso 400, 800, 1600 as needed.

good luck!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2005
    andy wrote:
    rock on!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't forget to use some negative ec ... minus 1/3, minus 2/3s...
    headscratch.gifne_nau.gif say that once again for dummies pls mate
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    headscratch.gifne_nau.gif say that once again for dummies pls mate

put camera in av mode, you'll need to be as wide open as you can..

set the exposure compensation to negative 1/3 or negative 2/3s stop... take a few test shots and check the histograms... the histo will be waaaaaaaay to the left do't worry - are the artists well exposed? you need to watch for blown highlights ... esp with that light vacuum 135L

good luck, nighty night
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2005
    Very *cool* Gus!
    Sounds like a great oportunity man.

Not sure I'd take my 135L though :uhoh But then again you may just get the shot of a lifetime mwink.gif so ne_nau.gif

I'd toss a 50mm in my pocket as well, especially if you are shooting up close. And maybe a 24 f/1.4L (if I had one...).

congrats and goodluck thumb.gif

don't forget to post the results when you get back...

Almost forgot to mention, my uncle Frank shot the entire LA punk scene from the early beginnings up to it's demise 1976-1982). He was mainly associated with the band 'X' and a few others like The Blasters.

Here is one of his shots of Xene (not sure of the date)...

Link: http://www.track16.com/exhibitions/punk/exene.html

Might be good for some inspiration :D

I often wish I'd been able to hang with him back then and learn photography under his tuteledge. I guess it wasn't meant to be though :cry
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2005
    Mongrel wrote:
    Sounds like a great oportunity man.

Not sure I'd take my 135L though :uhoh But then again you may just get the shot of a lifetime mwink.gif so ne_nau.gif

I'd toss a 50mm in my pocket as well, especially if you are shooting up close. And maybe a 24 f/1.4L (if I had one...).

congrats and goodluck thumb.gif

don't forget to post the results when you get back...
    ta mate

Taking my 50 f1.8..135 f2 & my old favorite the 10-22 (it gives great effect even if it is slowish) I actually like seeing movement in shots if its done well.

Now to find some earplugs...man how old am i getting !

This is going to be a baptism of fire so it will certainly be interesting.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2005
    Check my post above again Gus...
    I added some pertinent info you may find interesting...

also, check this shot out here:

http://www.track16.com/exhibitions/punk/darby.html

One of my favorite shots of his. And remember, this was all shot old-skool (film). I believe he was a Nikon shooter back then.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2005
    Mongrel wrote:
    I added some pertinent info you may find interesting...

also, check this shot out here:

http://www.track16.com/exhibitions/punk/darby.html

One of my favorite shots of his. And remember, this was all shot old-skool (film). I believe he was a Nikon shooter back then.
    Thanks for that mate...some great images. I was more into the british stuff such as the pistols etc but did listen to one of the dead kennedys albums till it wore out.

I really do have to start looking at a flash unit.

Gus
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I was more into the british stuff such as the pistols etc
    British? BRITISH? You mean Britain had a punk band? rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Humungus wrote:
    I really do have to start looking at a flash unit.

Gus
    YO DUDE-use the *force* man! Pop that 20D's on camera flash and fire away. At high ISOs and close proximity you'll have no problem lighting the center of the shot. Just watch for blowouts like Andy said and put and extra battery in your pocket. Use it sparingly though (not for every shot).
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Excellent Gus thumb.gif
    Did the the same thing at a local blues festival, saw no pro photog and asked if I could gain better access, they gave me free roam!!
    Good Luck show us some when your ready :D
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    Just got back...took maybe 300 shots. Its still going but seriously it was out of control (in a nice punk way) & i was concerned that my gear may get flattened even with me holding it i took some big hits before i decided to exit the mosh pit. Anyone whom knows what happens in a punk mosh pit will agree it isnt the place for a nice camera.

What a trip for me as i had not been back near the punk scene for well over 20 years....were we really that crazy in front of bands ??
    Met & spoke with the record label bloke whom is looking after several of the bands & he is keen to see the shots & we will talk more for the next one & be a little better prepared.

I was totally overwhelmed with the amount of bands that approached me (4 actually) & thanked me for shooting & want to see the shots.

I will load a few up tonight but not too many as im still on dial-up. Got my adsl2 authorisation late today but dont have a modem as yet.
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Just got back...took maybe 300 shots. Its still going but seriously it was out of control (in a nice punk way) & i was concerned that my gear may get flattened even with me holding it i took some big hits before i decided to exit the mosh pit. Anyone whom knows what happens in a punk mosh pit will agree it isnt the place for a nice camera.

What a trip for me as i had not been back near the punk scene for well over 20 years....were we really that crazy in front of bands ??
    Met & spoke with the record label bloke whom is looking after several of the bands & he is keen to see the shots & we will talk more for the next one & be a little better prepared.

I was totally overwhelmed with the amount of bands that approached me (4 actually) & thanked me for shooting & want to see the shots.

I will load a few up tonight but not too many as im still on dial-up. Got my adsl2 authorisation late today but dont have a modem as yet.

Excellent again about the contacts you might of made!!
    But I saw your comment about ADSL modem. I have one just sitting around, would you have use for it? If so, would be my honor to send it to you. I don't even know if it's the same you would use over there. If there a question about compatibility I can take a quick piccie and send it to ya this morning.
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    bfjr wrote:
    Excellent again about the contacts you might of made!!
    But I saw your comment about ADSL modem. I have one just sitting around, would you have use for it? If so, would be my honor to send it to you. I don't even know if it's the same you would use over there. If there a question about compatibility I can take a quick piccie and send it to ya this morning.
    Tks for the offer mate but it has to be an ADSL2 modem. Not to worry as mine should arrive in a day or so...ordered 10 days ago but they do wait until the customers line is patched into dslam or something like that.

Man am i happy with my shots !!!!!!!!!! Got maybe 100 real keepers.

Funny though...the woman organising the event asked me to do a few shots in particular & those are the ones i blew. I crack under pressure & they were some shots of people sitting outside on a lawn..nothing hard about it at all. I was still in 'dark/noisy/mosh-pit mode' when i did them. I got a few ok ones for her but no what i wanted.

Tks for the offer again
  • Options
    ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Sounds like fun Gus, I have a fried in a punk band that I shoot from time to time.

Can't wait to see what you got...

Ed
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    ok...i wasnt going to break my stride here but this one i thought was funny. Im not about to tell him he has a skirt on.