Options

Ch #41 - Comments/criticizms invited

Jerry CurtisJerry Curtis Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited June 26, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
This photo is already posted in the challenge thread, but comments and/or constructive criticizms are still welcome and would be appreciated. Here it is: The movie is a Japanese one with the english translation of the title being: "Rest at Ease, Mother". Note that the headstone was erected by her two sons.

45235630.jpg
-Jerry

Whether you think that you can or that you can't, you are usually right.
- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 24, 2005
    That's a pretty interesting shot Jerry. Did you luck out with the seagull or is it edited in? I really can't tell.

You should title it.

Nice job thumb.gif
  • Options
    ajgauthierajgauthier Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    it sort of looks photoshop'd in, that was my only criticism with this picture. The sky is all overcast and gray, yet the gull has a nice patch sunlight reflected off it's chest , and for an overcast day there's too much light coming through it's wing feathers...maybe you can "overcast" the gull a bit? I think I can also see some remnants around the edges of the bird...there's probably a way to smudge/blur that a bit.

otherwise - graveyards are quite creepy!

Adrienne

Angelo wrote:
    That's a pretty interesting shot Jerry. Did you luck out with the seagull or is it edited in? I really can't tell.

You should title it.

Nice job thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    hmmm...unless that is...you wanted the gull to be luminesced (sp?) in sunlight...as in...the gull being symbolic of the spirit of the mother coming up and soaring free from the earthly grave. If that's what you meant, bravo!

Adrienne

ajgauthier wrote:
    it sort of looks photoshop'd in, that was my only criticism with this picture. The sky is all overcast and gray, yet the gull has a nice patch sunlight reflected off it's chest , and for an overcast day there's too much light coming through it's wing feathers...maybe you can "overcast" the gull a bit? I think I can also see some remnants around the edges of the bird...there's probably a way to smudge/blur that a bit.

otherwise - graveyards are quite creepy!

Adrienne
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    Thanks, Angelo...
    Angelo wrote:

You should title it.

Nice job thumb.gif
    The seagull is from another shot and merged in. I did have it titled in my PBase gallery "On the wings of a snow-white gull".
    -Jerry

- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    Hi Adrienne...
    ajgauthier wrote:
    hmmm...unless that is...you wanted the gull to be luminesced (sp?) in sunlight...as in...the gull being symbolic of the spirit of the mother coming up and soaring free from the earthly grave. If that's what you meant, bravo!

Adrienne
    I actually like the luminescent quality of the gull against the foggy background. And it *is* intended to be symbolic of the soul of the deceased making it's way to heaven. What I don't like is the pixellization on the sharp edges. The gull was reduced for insertion into the full-sized shot and looked fine. However, when further reducing the whole image to 600X800 for the web, the pixellization started to appear. I tried every option for resizing and this was actually the one that worked best (averaging, I think it was). I also tried going around the edges with the softening brush, but wasn't happy with the reduced edge definition.

Any suggestions in this regard would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for looking and commenting
    -Jerry

- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2005
    hi Jerry,

ok then! Hmmm..maybe you want to emphasize the luminescent soul more? I really couldn't tell what your intention was. Having it glow more may also help the pixelation. I might try using a mask layer above the gull (in a new PS doc) and mask out the gull using the lasso tool...about 10 pixels around the border...and have it gradient from the middle...sort of soft fuzzy white edge around the gull. I'm not sure if I explained it clearly, but I hope you understand. Then...put that whole mess on top of the background of your graveyard image...again, make a mask and gradient mask in the bird into the overcast sky...blend the layer a bit...and you may have less pixelation.

Another note: I do believe that all elements of a collage type photo have to be photographed within the time frame of the contest. You may want to reread the rules or ask Andy if unsure. (I'm a bit unsure, but I think everything needs to happen in the timeframe of the Challenge.)

Adrienne
    I actually like the luminescent quality of the gull against the foggy background. And it *is* intended to be symbolic of the soul of the deceased making it's way to heaven. What I don't like is the pixellization on the sharp edges. The gull was reduced for insertion into the full-sized shot and looked fine. However, when further reducing the whole image to 600X800 for the web, the pixellization started to appear. I tried every option for resizing and this was actually the one that worked best (averaging, I think it was). I also tried going around the edges with the softening brush, but wasn't happy with the reduced edge definition.

Any suggestions in this regard would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for looking and commenting
  • Options
    Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Horror film twist
    I would lay the seagul dead on its back next to the tombstone to support the illustration of the cemetry. Everyone expects a gull in the sky, but a dead one, next to a tombstone - that's different and unexpected.:cry

This photo is already posted in the challenge thread, but comments and/or constructive criticizms are still welcome and would be appreciated. Here it is: The movie is a Japanese one with the english translation of the title being: "Rest at Ease, Mother". Note that the headstone was erected by her two sons.

45235630.jpg