Why do girls insist on white? UGH!

markgorbymarkgorby Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited August 2, 2009 in People
Had a Senior Pic session yesterday. C&C welcome.
608226927_8yvHs-XL-1.jpg
608267520_8UwTG-XL-2.jpg

Comments

• eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Tell them, verbally or in your contract, to not wear white. Movie studios (my car and I have been in a couple small movies) insist . . . nay, DEMAND that no extra wears black, white or red.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    I like the lighting in the first one, though she looks a little impatient (or something) in the picture. The second one, I like her look and the processing. The only down-side on the second one, is that it looks like some sunlight poked through and you got some really bright spots on her face. I love her eyes and the use of the b/w w/ just the color in her eyes.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • markgorbymarkgorby Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback Andrew. I think we were trying for that "serious look" in #1. Sun was HORRIBLE yesterday here. Bad timing on my part. Will being doing a reshoot on her next week and praying for clouds.
  • wildviperwildviper Registered Users Posts: 560 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    I like the first one. Second one doesn't do it for me.

Btw, what is wrong with white?
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    WildViper
    From Nikon D70s > Nikon D300s & D700
    Nikon 50/1.8, Tamron 28-75/2.8 1st gen, Nikkor 12-24/4, Nikkor 70-200/2.8 ED VR, SB600, SB900, SB-26 and Gitzo 2 Series Carbon Fiber with Kirk Ballhead
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    One other question in the second one. What is that solid black thing to the right? The rest of the bg is all plants.... I'm guessing it is something structural like a support for a pergola.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    think the white dress came out good, almost blown though.. the second shot ne_nau.gif.. not my cup of tea
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • markgorbymarkgorby Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Had her sitting on some steps that came off the deck. That's the black thing. Mom loves the second photo and actually asked to do something like this. I'm torn. Kinda cool but not in love with it. Thanks all.
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    URGGGGGGGG! Damn, there goes the white again. Only resolution is to snoot the flash and expose for the dress using the shutter. Aperture controls the flash contribution so GN of 90 (SB 600) in white dome diffuser snooted just to illuminate her face might work. Or you can try open shade with no fill flash. Or expose for the white, and 'brighten' the subject in post. I've seen it done really well, but it's extra time on the computer.

I aim to get shots right in camera when possible. 100 shots at 30 minutes each, is 3000 minutes. You'll never turn a project in on time.

I love the background you chose for #1, You either had the light far away, or not softend because of the hard light shadow on her left side. She also has a few hot spots that could quickly be remidied with the healing brush.

On #2, I'm half way liking the blue eyes selective coloring an half way not. When doing portraits like that in open shade, where the sun loves to peek in through leaves, I use my 5 in 1 reflector to cast a shadow over the subject's face. This will almost garantee no blowns due to that sneaky sun.

Nice shots, keep up the good work.
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    I shoot white all the time.... don't be afraid of it! when done right they make for some classic pictures. find open shade, use available light and a reflector on the faces if you need it. Shoot Raw, leave on F4 and adjust the shutter until you are just getting "blinkies" you can pull them back in pp if you need to.. The white will always have some blinkies but are correctable. My take on your first picture it is might be a little underexposed and oversaturated, she seems to be glowing a little amber and her hair highlights are too bright yellow on my calibrated Mac. Embrace the white :D
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!