"Parched"

bhoglebhogle Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited August 5, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
My cat grass sat outside in the July heat too long. I'm trying to improve my still life's in terms of their ability to communicate some sort of idea, if not a mood also. I like the technical elements of this shot, what do you think about the artistic elements? Be tough. Thank you.

Comments

• Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    That's an interesting subject for a closeup. The most striking thing about it is the color of the pot--nice and rich.

Artistically and technically the shot can be improved significantly. You call it "Parched" I see "Dirty." Was it intentional for you to have the dried dirty grass on the pot front and center? Because the positioning and focus makes it look like it is the subject of the shot. The textured grass is off to the side, a supporting member. You give the dirt within the pot equal real estate within the frame as well and I don't think that's your subject either.

So think about those little things, they make the difference.

Also, the background has too much going on and distracts from anything else. If you are setting up a still life, treat it like a movie set. A plain or dreamy background will enhance the subject.

Finally re: the catgrass itself--consider another specimen. The arrangement of the individual grass reeds from this perspective just doesn't seem interesting--random but not attractive. Either take the scissors and fix it (you can do that) or find another clump to transplant and shoot.

Hope this helps

M
  • bhoglebhogle Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2009

Artistically and technically the shot can be improved significantly.]

Thanks Miguel. Thats very helpful. The grass, both the yellow and very dead blakc grass, was my focus. To a lesser extent the dirt was to be part of the shot, but perhaps not so in focuse. I'll reshoot and post something again...perhaps today.
  • bhoglebhogle Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Heat Stroke
    Ok. I have tried again. This time, though, the grass wasn't parched, it was simply dead. Since the pot has been heavily cropped from the shot, I felt moved to make this a monochrome image...and a slightly darker one to convey some mood. Is the composition much better? If I were to re-title it "Death" or "Drought" how would it strike you?

Thanks.
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Brian,
    Sorry but this one strikes me as being less interesting. You need to look at the whole frame. I see 60% flower pot at an angle that may be convenient for you to shoot at but that's not going to win any creativity awards.
    I'd move on to a different subject. There is very little drama in dried grasses in a flower pot. Titling the shot "Death" or "Drought" would be satiric to me. You hear the word "drought" what do you immediately think of?

You've got a great intention to shoot stills, but there are richer materials around I'm positive. I suggest you study classical painted still life images and draw some inspiration from that.

Just yesterday in the fading sunlight I spied some russeted apples on our tree and took a few shots. They are not ready for public consumption (the images that is) but the potential was there.

M
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Hmmmmm.....I like the concept your trying to portray. BW is much better. Cropped in some is better too. Maybe its the angle. Have you tried just shooting from the edge of the pot looking into the dirt and onto the grass?