Blowing Glass

thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
edited August 3, 2009 in People
Here's a couple shots of a glass blower from a nearby town. C&C always welcome. Enjoy!

1)
3781601436_4309cd275c_o.jpg

2)
3781601116_1636078ce2_o.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Travis

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Here's a couple shots of a glass blower from a nearby town. C&C always welcome. Enjoy!

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for sharing... I did some glass blowing shots once.. I remember being "very hot"! rolleyes1.gif I was a little distracted on the first with all the stuff on the wall behind the man.. took me a while to focus down on the actual subject. Number 2 was easier to focus in on but it's a little blurred on my screen. How were they in color.
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Jeeze... I'd love to see that....... Lucky you
    Rags
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    lynnma wrote:
    Thanks for sharing... I did some glass blowing shots once.. I remember being "very hot"! rolleyes1.gif I was a little distracted on the first with all the stuff on the wall behind the man.. took me a while to focus down on the actual subject. Number 2 was easier to focus in on but it's a little blurred on my screen. How were they in color.
    Thanks for the comments, Lynn. I tried to darken the background in #1 but I was afraid to do too much. In the end I admitted defeat and posted what I had! mwink.gif The combination of a poorly lit room and a fast glass blower made these photos blurry.

In color they were all extremely busy. There was colorful (and not in a good way) stuff everywhere so I decided B&W might help subdue it all a little bit.
    torags wrote:
    Jeeze... I'd love to see that....... Lucky you
    It's pretty neat stuff. This guy works in a small town on the Mississippi (Clarksville, MO) that has, in recent years, turned in a haven for artisans of all types. Over the next couple months I will be going back down there to shoot some woodworkers and metalworkers in action. It should all be great fun!
    Travis
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    I shot the Chihouly museum show in SF and it was captivating.

Man, when the light hits that stuff it's magic... Catch it if you can

436781399_5Ri6T-M-1.jpg
    Rags
    edited August 3, 2009
    Sounds awesome, and incredibly colorful!
    Travis
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    The subject matter sounds like it could have a lot of potential but the 2 shots offered are soft and of course there are not shots of actual glass being blow or manipulated. heh..just a guy with a stick.headscratch.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited August 3, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    The subject matter sounds like it could have a lot of potential but the 2 shots offered are soft and of course there are not shots of actual glass being blow or manipulated. heh..just a guy with a stick.headscratch.gif
    Yeah, they're soft. I've admitted as much. The softness, a product of the low light and focal lenght, was not intentional. I do think, however, that that it helps to demonstrate the speed at which he was working.

Should you find yourself in a position to watch a glass blower you'll find that blowing glass is a very small part of the job. I wasn't impressed with a man blowing on a stick any more than you, apparently, are impressed with one "holding" a stick. I was impressed by the vast array of very intricately blown trinkets and statues this man has created with blindingly fast precision. He appeared careless and reckless yet the final product was inticate and fully of detail. That, as far as I'm concerned, is the point of these two shots.
    Travis
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Yeah, they're soft. I've admitted as much. The softness, a product of the low light and focal lenght, was not intentional. I do think, however, that that it helps to demonstrate the speed at which he was working.

Should you find yourself in a position to watch a glass blower you'll find that blowing glass is a very small part of the job. I wasn't impressed with a man blowing on a stick any more than you, apparently, are impressed with one "holding" a stick. I was impressed by the vast array of very intricately blown trinkets and statues this man has created with blindingly fast precision. He appeared careless and reckless yet the final product was inticate and fully of detail. That, as far as I'm concerned, is the point of these two shots.

While the motion blur does suggest some movement..without your explanation I would have been hard pressed to figure out what the guy was doing. Not trying to be argumentative here.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 3, 2009
    I have to agree with much of what was said above with a bit of clarification.

There's a distinct difference between motion blur and softness. Image #2 as an example - the blur of his arms adds interest to the shot (even though you don't really know he's working glass) but his face is not sharp while parts of his trousers are. So the issue with "softness" has to do with your focal point.
  • NateWNateW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Also not trying to be argumentative... :D (I'm not part of the agressocracy, and refuse to try to be, so I don't get to mean. rolleyes1.gif)

I'd wonder: what aperture were these taken at? Background looks not-enough out of depth while you were struggling for enough light for the image?
    Having done glass blowing back in the day, it _is_ hot, and you can move fast, but that seems like that would allow a slightly shorter shutter and still get the hand motion while the head motion would be stopped. (I'd guess the face was moving too much for the shutter on #2; the neck is sharp and given how much the background is in focus, it seems like motion may have been to blame for this softness.)

Another suggestion; change angles so that you get the piece and him closer together, making his hands, the piece, and his still(er) body more a single subject, or at least something that's closer together.

Not that he would have thought positively, but if you had been able to use that ladder in the background to get above/behind him while he wasn't swinging (stretching) the piece (so as to avoid burning you too much... mwink.gif), you might have gotten the three elements together more.

Of course, if you thought it was hot where you were, you should have raised your hand above the edge of the exhaust fan skirt (in the shop I worked in; this was about 7 feet from the floor and skirted the whole of the kilns and glass pot; the Glory Hole was closer to the door that stayed open all year round, if I remember right.)
    If you got up on that ladder, I'll bet your time up there would have stayed to less than a couple minutes, certainly less than 5. Camera might have wanted to stay lower than the edge of the skirt for most of it, too. :)
    Next time I get back out to my parent's place, I've got a coupon for glass studio time at a local place in town (Racine, WI). Totally bringing the camera with me too!

Ah, good memories.thumb.gif
    NateW

NTWPhotos.com
    Member, Livingston County Photographers Group (http://livcophotographers.com)

If responding to a picture I've posted: please, provide constructive criticism. Destructive criticism can go take a flying leap.
    If we don't know what could be improved or could have been done differently, we'll never know how to get better at what we're doing.
    edited August 3, 2009
    NateW wrote:
    Also not trying to be argumentative... :D (I'm not part of the agressocracy, and refuse to try to be, so I don't get to mean. rolleyes1.gif)

I'd wonder: what aperture were these taken at? Background looks not-enough out of depth while you were struggling for enough light for the image?
    Having done glass blowing back in the day, it _is_ hot, and you can move fast, but that seems like that would allow a slightly shorter shutter and still get the hand motion while the head motion would be stopped. (I'd guess the face was moving too much for the shutter on #2; the neck is sharp and given how much the background is in focus, it seems like motion may have been to blame for this softness.)

Another suggestion; change angles so that you get the piece and him closer together, making his hands, the piece, and his still(er) body more a single subject, or at least something that's closer together.

Not that he would have thought positively, but if you had been able to use that ladder in the background to get above/behind him while he wasn't swinging (stretching) the piece (so as to avoid burning you too much... mwink.gif), you might have gotten the three elements together more.

Of course, if you thought it was hot where you were, you should have raised your hand above the edge of the exhaust fan skirt (in the shop I worked in; this was about 7 feet from the floor and skirted the whole of the kilns and glass pot; the Glory Hole was closer to the door that stayed open all year round, if I remember right.)
    If you got up on that ladder, I'll bet your time up there would have stayed to less than a couple minutes, certainly less than 5. Camera might have wanted to stay lower than the edge of the skirt for most of it, too. :)
    Next time I get back out to my parent's place, I've got a coupon for glass studio time at a local place in town (Racine, WI). Totally bringing the camera with me too!

Ah, good memories.thumb.gif

Those are all great suggestions, Nate. I wasn't there, unfortunately, on any official capacity to take photos. I was with my family and was confined to a small observation area, looking through a window, at the blower some 15 feet away. The angles you see are pretty much all I had available.

The shots were both taken at 80mm, 1/30" at ISO 640. I could have gone a little higher with the ISO but my D80 doesn't do so well up there. Even at 1/60", though, I'm sure I wouldn't have been steady enough to eliminate the extra blur from camera shake.

I know these aren't pro-quality shots but I really thought they held a little interested regardless. It seems I am in the minority.
    Travis