Zip Files In Windows Vista

PhotobycatePhotobycate Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
edited April 15, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
I know this isn't a Smugmug question but I do not know who else to ask. I need to send a zip file of images via email. I followed the directions for creating a zip file for windows vista and windows xp but for some reason the files do not compress. Is anyone else using Vista and have had the same issue and what did you do to correct it?

Thanks much,

Comments

• AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    I know this isn't a Smugmug question but I do not know who else to ask. I need to send a zip file of images via email. I followed the directions for creating a zip file for windows vista and windows xp but for some reason the files do not compress. Is anyone else using Vista and have had the same issue and what did you do to correct it?

Thanks much,

Some file do not compress well, for example, JPEG files do not compress well because they are compressed already. What type of file are you trying to compress.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • PhotobycatePhotobycate Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    they are JPEGs but when I had windows XP I had no problem. They did compress.
    Some file do not compress well, for example, JPEG files do not compress well because they are compressed already. What type of file are you trying to compress.
    edited August 2, 2009
    they are JPEGs but when I had windows XP I had no problem. They did compress.

Don't know what to tell you other than try something else. I use RARSoft's WINRAR (http://www.RarSoft.com). It does RAR and ZIP archives.
    edited August 3, 2009
    I downloaded a trial version of winzip and it worked but unfortunately the receiver has to have winzip to open the darn file. G-r-r-r-.

Don't know what to tell you other than try something else. I use RARSoft's WINRAR (http://www.RarSoft.com). It does RAR and ZIP archives.
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    I downloaded a trial version of winzip and it worked but unfortunately the receiver has to have winzip to open the darn file. G-r-r-r-.

Then you didn't save it as a .zip. You must have saved it as some Winzip proprietary format.
    edited August 5, 2009
    Pupator wrote:
    Then you didn't save it as a .zip. You must have saved it as some Winzip proprietary format.

Vista has a horrible ZIP engine. I used it once to try to unzip a directory of a couple thousand JPG images (small ones) and it was still unzipping 20 minutes later and wasn't even 1/4 done. I downloaded and ran rarsoft's winrar and it unzipped them in 4 minutes.

BTW - WinRar's ZIP files will open in XP and Vista's ZIP software, just realize, it might be slow. Oh, WinRAR can also make self extracting archives, which are basicaly a zip file with a program that extracts the files all rolled up into one nice exe file. Works great! You can even password protect them and set what directory you want the files to unzip to!
    edited August 5, 2009
    I'm going to give WinRar a try. Thanks
    Vista has a horrible ZIP engine. I used it once to try to unzip a directory of a couple thousand JPG images (small ones) and it was still unzipping 20 minutes later and wasn't even 1/4 done. I downloaded and ran rarsoft's winrar and it unzipped them in 4 minutes.

BTW - WinRar's ZIP files will open in XP and Vista's ZIP software, just realize, it might be slow. Oh, WinRAR can also make self extracting archives, which are basicaly a zip file with a program that extracts the files all rolled up into one nice exe file. Works great! You can even password protect them and set what directory you want the files to unzip to!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    You can also try 7-zip, albeit WinRAR is *aw3sum*!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited April 15, 2010
    zlatan24 wrote:

Mod edit: spam deleted

This message is spam.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited April 15, 2010
    This message is spam.