"Summertime"

Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
edited August 11, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
While waiting for the fireworks to start at the local "Family Days" celebration yesterday I started playing around with a baseball laying in the grass and ended up with this shot. A little post processing later...

608959537_QY4sk-X2.jpg

Comments and critiques are welcomed and encouraged as always.
Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking

Comments

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Beautiful capture. And nice choice of a title, as the photo brings back the "dog days of summer" whereby the kid has been playing ball everyday.

I really like the composition with the ball in the front left foreground (and in focus) with the player adding to (but not distracting from) the theme.

I am less thrilled with the processing. As I peer at it, I assume it is to give the photo a "weathered" look, like it is really old and handled much. On my screen, it looks more like a dirty veil between the ball and the player and background. I am not sure if this would work better on a print (but not with a glossy finish!)
  • Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Thanks for the input, it's my first attempt at texturing.
    Scooba Steve

Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking
  • dustin32dustin32 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Really love the shot, but I'm not too sure of the processing either. I love the color treatment, but the canvas look isn't doing it for me. I'd try it with the same color as you have, but w/o the canvas, and with a nice vignette on the corners... Just me though..
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Did the link disappear? I can't see the original. ne_nau.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    I cant see anything??
    edited August 4, 2009
    I don't know what happened to the link, but I fixed it.
    Scooba Steve

• mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    I actually really like the texturing, it makes it look like an old school poster for baseball. Without the texturing, it loses that vintage look in my eyes.
    edited August 4, 2009
    Thanks for the input, I've come to realize that this type of treatment isn't for everyone... a bit of "love it or leave it". I'm a fan of it and I'll continue to experiment with this technique.
    Scooba Steve

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    I like the texture, but I like texture added to some photos and with this one to me it seems to work.

Looks like a photo I would find in my Grandparents shoebox :D
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Neat effect. Did you print it? How did it feel in the printing? Did you use something like a cloth paper to keep the feel in line with the texture?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited August 5, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Neat effect. Did you print it? How did it feel in the printing? Did you use something like a cloth paper to keep the feel in line with the texture?

I haven't printed it yet, but I will be soon.
    Scooba Steve

• DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    i like the weathered look..howd you pull it off?
    -=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
    Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART
    edited August 11, 2009
    Dionysus wrote:
    i like the weathered look..howd you pull it off?

Here is a Photoshop tutorial for adding texture to a photo
    Scooba Steve