One year shots of Baby Ben...C&C appreciated.

Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
edited August 27, 2009 in People
I was asked by a friend to photograph their 1 yr. old son. They didn't want any trendy number one's anywhere. Mom knew exactly what she wanted when it came to locations and props. They are very happy with the results:clap . The hardest part for me was that she wanted some B&W conversions. I hope you enjoy looking.

637430568_mdkkM-M.jpg

603318536_J7wUb-M.jpg

603319949_QsR72-M.jpg

4. I tried out a nostalgic preset from LR
603414283_86PUd-M.jpg

5. Dad is the soccer coach at VMI and this is his favorite.
603321688_n23Un-M.jpg

6. This was near the end.
603323587_ASnQf-M.jpg

7. Vintage preset with LR.
603326848_EF7t4-M.jpg

603327497_ameDe-M.jpg

Thanks for looking!

You can see the rest of the pictures here.

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Very nice! I love the angle in the last one thumb.gifThe second one looks like the light was a little bright, but still a sweet picture.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    I think these are super sweet! My faves are 1, 3, 6. They are all sharp and well lit and there is great variety. Well done! clap.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Very nice! I love the angle in the last one thumb.gifThe second one looks like the light was a little bright, but still a sweet picture.

Thanks. I agree about the second one. I went back in PS and played with it but I ended up leaving it as is...kind of like it.

The last one was one of those lucky shots. I was putting stuff away and looked up in time to see dad playing with him. Good thing the camera was still on. :whew
  • Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    I think these are super sweet! My faves are 1, 3, 6. They are all sharp and well lit and there is great variety. Well done! clap.gif

Thank you Elaine. I sent my Canon in a couple of months ago due to some focus issues. It's nice to see it working even better now. Baby Ben was a trooper for the 2 hours we shot.
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Here's my two pennies...

One, two, and three...nice.

One and two are my favorites. I think both one and two are a coin flip as far as artistic concept. I really like what you have done here.

I keep looking at two...I really like the light on his face against the back of the couch. Yes there is a lot of dead space, but for me, it works here.

But that's just me. Have you tried some different crops, just to see what you can come up with. Oh, and I like your lighting...off camera. Way cool.

Good work, thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    I like 1 a lot, but think you can cut off some of the shot to the right...you have dead flowers over there that can get cut and don't add anything to the shot.

5 would be great no matter what dad did...the colors are beautiful. You can feel the sun and sand...really really nice.
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/
    edited August 3, 2009
    afev0602 wrote:
    I like 1 a lot, but think you can cut off some of the shot to the right...you have dead flowers over there that can get cut and don't add anything to the shot.

5 would be great no matter what dad did...the colors are beautiful. You can feel the sun and sand...really really nice.

Thanks for the comments. For some reason I didn't even notice the droopy flowers before and now I can't stop looking at them. I will fix that.
    edited August 4, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    Here's my two pennies...

One, two, and three...nice.

One and two are my favorites. I think both one and two are a coin flip as far as artistic concept. I really like what you have done here.

I keep looking at two...I really like the light on his face against the back of the couch. Yes there is a lot of dead space, but for me, it works here.

But that's just me. Have you tried some different crops, just to see what you can come up with. Oh, and I like your lighting...off camera. Way cool.

Good work, thanks for sharing.

Composition and cropping are my biggest challenges. I did several different crops and this one worked best. His parents said it looked "presidential" because of the eagle in the background which is why I kept going back to this crop. It was the best way to keep the look they liked.

As for the lighting, that is a work in progress.

Thanks!
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    I can see why the parents are happy with the results. You did a great job capturing him.

#8 is my favorite, followed by 1, 2, & 3.
    edited August 6, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    I can see why the parents are happy with the results. You did a great job capturing him.

#8 is my favorite, followed by 1, 2, & 3.

Thank you.:D
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    1. Cute and well executed. The bush in the foreground is a bit distracting as is whatever it is in the lower-left corner.

2. I like this one. The flash was a bit close to the baby and light-fall off caused the baby to be a bit bright while the rest of the room to be a bit under-exposed. A simple levels adjustment layer with an appropriate mask could be used to better balance the brightness. I also think I would crop a bit from the bottom and left side and apply a mild vignette.

3, 4 - This works well, not sure about the expression. #4 needs a vignette to finish off the effect.

6 - Not having been there, not sure if this is a keeper or not. It looks like little Ben is more than just a bit tired of the whole thing.

8 - This is my favorite of the entire series here. Perspective is great. Ben's happy and smiling. And, there's a sense of a father's pride in his son about the shot. This would, I think, work much better as a square crop - there's just too much space on the left side of the frame.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    1. Cute and well executed. The bush in the foreground is a bit distracting as is whatever it is in the lower-left corner.

2. I like this one. The flash was a bit close to the baby and light-fall off caused the baby to be a bit bright while the rest of the room to be a bit under-exposed. A simple levels adjustment layer with an appropriate mask could be used to better balance the brightness. I also think I would crop a bit from the bottom and left side and apply a mild vignette.

3, 4 - This works well, not sure about the expression. #4 needs a vignette to finish off the effect.

6 - Not having been there, not sure if this is a keeper or not. It looks like little Ben is more than just a bit tired of the whole thing.

8 - This is my favorite of the entire series here. Perspective is great. Ben's happy and smiling. And, there's a sense of a father's pride in his son about the shot. This would, I think, work much better as a square crop - there's just too much space on the left side of the frame.

#6 is totally a keeper! Look at that expression- it's like a painting of a small child. Anyway, It's a great set with good variety.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    1-6 & 8 are really cute. Love the lighting. Got to do something with the farmers tan in #7.
    edited August 8, 2009
    Originally Posted by Scott_Quier

As always thanks for your input. I cropped all of these with enough room for print size options. They discussed various sizes with me. I am going to play with #2 and see what I get.
    Originally Posted by sweet caroline
    #6 is totally a keeper! Look at that expression- it's like a painting of a small child. Anyway, It's a great set with good variety.
    I love #6 too. He cried and did the baby arch the entire time that his dad and marmie (grandmother) were changing his outfit. I was just getting what I could and don't remember getting this shot. I was pleasantly surprised when I got home and went through the shots.wings.gif
    Thank you for your comments.
    1-6 & 8 are really cute. Love the lighting. Got to do something with the farmers tan in #7.
    I have no idea how I missed the tan on his legs. Any ideas on how to remedy this issue? Thanks.
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Melinda - these are awesome! I really love the BW with the couch - what did you use to convert that image?
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Clone out the brown patch in the bottom left of #1. Otherwise, great set. Love the last one.
    edited August 18, 2009
    brvheart wrote:
    Melinda - these are awesome! I really love the BW with the couch - what did you use to convert that image?
    Thank you. I used a LR preset that I found on the internet then tweaked some of the settings.
    Clone out the brown patch in the bottom left of #1. Otherwise, great set. Love the last one.
    Thanks. I am going to work on the patch. It was a decorative bee hive like thing that was in the garden. The last one was one of those great opportunities...just glad my camera was still on me.
    edited August 27, 2009
    #1 Edited
    I have removed the blurred blob from the bottom corner and the dead flowers from the far side.

Thank you all for your advice and input.:D

631805355_wVM4o-M.jpg
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Hey, we are neighbors :D

I really liked this set! 1, especially the last version, and 6 are my favorites. Good job and it looks like you had a lot of fun.
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Karrie McD wrote:
    Hey, we are neighbors :D

I really liked this set! 1, especially the last version, and 6 are my favorites. Good job and it looks like you had a lot of fun.
    I agree - that clone job is nice!!

Karrie, not only are we all three neighbors, but we all belong to the same local photo club deal.gif
  • Karrie McDKarrie McD Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Karrie, not only are we all three neighbors, but we all belong to the same local photo club deal.gif

That's what I get for leaving for 6 weeks... I don't know who I'm talking to anymore ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you are right."