More high speed

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited August 26, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Set up the high speed studio again this weekend (aka my garage) and created some more chaos. Previous shoot in this post, which started out as a question about proper settings for the flash. here are some more:

608713518_39v6Y-L.jpg

608713576_zbtUb-L.jpg

608713846_xx5Ux-L.jpg

608713470_k6PXk-L.jpg

lemme know what you think! Its lots of fun.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    Set up the high speed studio again this weekend (aka my garage) and created some more chaos. Previous shoot in this post, which started out as a question about proper settings for the flash. here are some more:

lemme know what you think! Its lots of fun.

WOW even clap.gif :ivar

What did you shoot at the strawberry ????
    Was the entry from the right and out of the left side?
    Caught in the flash is a silver streak of light is that the projectile?

I love shots #2 and #3.
    #3 is my favourite, that's a very cool shot.
    What was inside the ornament that it appears to how either a white powder or milk flying out of it on impact?

I can see your having a ball with the set up you have Chris thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing, these are quite amazing clap.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    WOW even clap.gif :ivar

What did you shoot at the strawberry ????
    Was the entry from the right and out of the left side?
    Caught in the flash is a silver streak of light is that the projectile?

I love shots #2 and #3.
    #3 is my favourite, that's a very cool shot.
    What was inside the ornament that it appears to how either a white powder or milk flying out of it on impact?

I can see your having a ball with the set up you have Chris thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing, these are quite amazing clap.gif .... Skippy :D

Thanks, skippy. I shot the strawberry with a pellet gun, the streak you see is the exit path of the pellet. Last time when I shot lightbulbs, glass, etc I was using f/5.6 with the flash at 1/64 and so the pellet was frozen mid frame. This time with more of a macro set up for the strawberry I had to stop down to f/13 and increase flash power to compensate...thus the streak. I mixed yogurt and water inside the ornament... still cleaning up the mess.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    1,2,& 3 = Fabulous bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    What did you shoot 2 & 3 with? I'd be interested to see the set up i.e. sand trap or whatever.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited August 3, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    1,2,& 3 = Fabulous bowdown.gifbowdown.gif
    What did you shoot 2 & 3 with? I'd be interested to see the set up i.e. sand trap or whatever.

All were shot with a pellet gun, with varying pumps and distances from the subject. I also varied the distance of the sound trigger from the subject to build in a slight delay. Camera settings were generally f/5.6 ISO 250 and 2 sec exposure, flash at 1/32-1/64. These varied a little with the macro type shots. I outlined my set up, etc on my blog in this post. Thanks for looking!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 4, 2009
    Chris, I'm thoroughly impressed with your work. These shots are technically fabulous, wonderfully creative, and just plain beautiful to look at as well. You should publish a book of them!

Cheers,
    -joel
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Those shots are.......
    :jawdrop
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
    edited August 4, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Chris, I'm thoroughly impressed with your work. These shots are technically fabulous, wonderfully creative, and just plain beautiful to look at as well. You should publish a book of them!

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks kdog and aj, always nice to hear positive remarks. Glad you like them.
  • DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    if you were just working with a regular camera, how the heck did you time it just right? did you do multi shot bursts? did you just guess when to start the shots? I take it you have some nice flashes? b/c my flash wouldnt charge back up quick enough to take multi shots at those speeds.
    -=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
    Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART
    edited August 7, 2009
    The trick to these shots is a sound trigger for the flash (any flash will work). You cannot trigger the camera because the shutter lag will cause too much of a delay. Essentially the principle is to shoot in total darkness using a shutter speed of about two or three seconds. The sound of the gun triggers a single firing of the flash which freezes the motion at that split second and that is what the camera picks up as opposed to total darkness before and after the flash fires. Making the flash fire as the bullet enters the strawberry involves creating a short delay from the gun firing to the actual flash discharge. This is done by placing the sound trigger some distance from the sound source. This is a bit of trial and error, but the speed of sound traveling from the gun to the sound trigger creates a delay of a few msec and captures the explosion rather than the gun firing. I have set up and executed this type of shot twice now, and believe me it is very easy to do if the set up is correct. I don't have any special equipment or flashes. The sound trigger was a DIY kit which was easy to assemble and costs $12. You don't get a perfect shot each time, and it takes some experimentation to determine the proper ISO, aperture, flash power and distances of the gun and sound trigger. I took a photo of my set up here. Thanks for looking!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    The trick to these shots is a sound trigger for the flash (any flash will work). You cannot trigger the camera because the shutter lag will cause too much of a delay. Essentially the principle is to shoot in total darkness using a shutter speed of about two or three seconds. The sound of the gun triggers a single firing of the flash which freezes the motion at that split second and that is what the camera picks up as opposed to total darkness before and after the flash fires. Making the flash fire as the bullet enters the strawberry involves creating a short delay from the gun firing to the actual flash discharge. This is done by placing the sound trigger some distance from the sound source. This is a bit of trial and error, but the speed of sound traveling from the gun to the sound trigger creates a delay of a few msec and captures the explosion rather than the gun firing. I have set up and executed this type of shot twice now, and believe me it is very easy to do if the set up is correct. I don't have any special equipment or flashes. The sound trigger was a DIY kit which was easy to assemble and costs $12. You don't get a perfect shot each time, and it takes some experimentation to determine the proper ISO, aperture, flash power and distances of the gun and sound trigger. I took a photo of my set up here. Thanks for looking!
    Awesum stuff! thumb.gifbowdown.gif
    Do you have a linky for the sound trigger? ear.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited August 7, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Awesum stuff! thumb.gifbowdown.gif
    Do you have a linky for the sound trigger? ear.gif

here you go:
    http://www.hiviz.com/kits/sk2.htm

let me know how it turns out.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Really nice work with your high speeds in each piece you played out . thumb.gif Well done. I'll probably never get to do what you working on here.
    Dang it. Maybe I can get over it in the next 24 hrs. :D
    Michael
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    here you go:
    http://www.hiviz.com/kits/sk2.htm

let me know how it turns out.
    Thanks man!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • DionysusDionysus Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    thank you so much for sharing..thats awesome.
    -=Ren B.=-

Gear: Canon EOS 50D, 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6, 55-250mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8, Canon 430EX-II Flash
    Galleries: Smugmug Flickr DeviantART
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Awesome indeed! Great technique and images! bowdown.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • xistixxistix Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 13, 2009
    Nice pictures! I also try to do something similar. I try to shoot photos of water drops. I made a microcontroller based device myself. It can get input from a laser detector and/or a microphone. It can control flash, camera shutter and a dripping device. It has an LCD menu to do settings and test connected equipments. If someone is interested I can help her/him to build one.

So the theory is clear for me and I have a nice controller, but I have problem with the camera settings and lighting. I would be interested in all the parameters of a successful shot. What kind of camera is used, what kind of lens, what is the aperture, from what distance, whit kind of flash(es), position of the flash(es), power/speed of the flash etc.

My equipment is quite old. I'm using a Canon D60. I have 28-55mm and 90-300mm zoom lenses. I also have some cheap macro filters for both lenses (+1x, +2x, +4x, +10x). I can also borrow a good Canon macro lens. I have a cheap flash from eBay. I can set the power of it and it claims 1/20000s for the smallest power.

I tried to set the power of the flash so that I get 1/20000s but the light is so small that I have to use a very large aperture, and even then the image is under exposed. If I increase the power (decrease the speed) of the flash I can use smaller apertures, but I still have some weird problem. The center of the image is sharp, but towards the edges it gets more and more blurred.

Can someone help me with the camera, lens and light settings?

Sorry for the long post. This problem really bothers me headscratch.gif

xistix
    edited August 13, 2009
    xistix wrote:
    Nice pictures! I also try to do something similar. I try to shoot photos of water drops. I made a microcontroller based device myself. It can get input from a laser detector and/or a microphone. It can control flash, camera shutter and a dripping device. It has an LCD menu to do settings and test connected equipments. If someone is interested I can help her/him to build one.

So the theory is clear for me and I have a nice controller, but I have problem with the camera settings and lighting. I would be interested in all the parameters of a successful shot. What kind of camera is used, what kind of lens, what is the aperture, from what distance, whit kind of flash(es), position of the flash(es), power/speed of the flash etc.

My equipment is quite old. I'm using a Canon D60. I have 28-55mm and 90-300mm zoom lenses. I also have some cheap macro filters for both lenses (+1x, +2x, +4x, +10x). I can also borrow a good Canon macro lens. I have a cheap flash from eBay. I can set the power of it and it claims 1/20000s for the smallest power.

I tried to set the power of the flash so that I get 1/20000s but the light is so small that I have to use a very large aperture, and even then the image is under exposed. If I increase the power (decrease the speed) of the flash I can use smaller apertures, but I still have some weird problem. The center of the image is sharp, but towards the edges it gets more and more blurred.

Can someone help me with the camera, lens and light settings?

Sorry for the long post. This problem really bothers me headscratch.gif

xistix

Your settings may not be the same as mine as our lighting conditions are different. But if you want mine as an example, they were (the strawberry shot): Canon 5D, 100mm, f/6.3. 580EXII flash at 1/16. Flash about 30 degrees and 2 feet from subject, otherwise total darkness during exposure time of 2s.
    edited August 13, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    Your settings may not be the same as mine as our lighting conditions are different. But if you want mine as an example, they were (the strawberry shot): Canon 5D, 100mm, f/6.3. 580EXII flash at 1/16. Flash about 30 degrees and 2 feet from subject, otherwise total darkness during exposure time of 2s.
    Thanks! I'm going to give it a try. Apart from the fact that you have better equipment I think the main difference is that I tried to bounce the the light from a background. This probably decrease the light too much.

xistix
    edited August 13, 2009
    xistix wrote:
    Thanks! I'm going to give it a try. Apart from the fact that you have better equipment I think the main difference is that I tried to bounce the the light from a background. This probably decrease the light too much.

xistix

the light should be directed at the subject. you could use a diffuser like omnibounce, but with settings of 1/32 or 1/64 as long as you expose properly it shouldn't be necessary. plus you will have to increase the flash power with a diffuser which will not allow you to freeze the motion as well
    edited August 13, 2009
    Directing the flash to the splash helped to get sharper images. So the problem was that I didn't have enough speed. Unfortunately my flash seems to be quite weak, so I cannot use it with the smallest power unless I use too large aperture. Here is a sample. It is still not perfect, but at least I know what is the problem. :ivar
    CRW_0258.jpg
    ?attachment_id=323
    edited August 26, 2009
    I received my new flash and managed to add more light. Here is a sample:
    BlueRed.png

You can find some more on my blog.

xistix