Need CC please-New at this.

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited August 3, 2009 in People
Hello all,
Let me just start by saying that I know these are considered snapshots, but you gotta start somewhere and I imagine even snapshots could use improvement.

I've had my camera for one month today and I'm loving every second of this learning experience (when I'm not busy cursing myself for having the camera in the wrong settings!).

These were taken in the yard yesterday on a sunny day without a cloud in the sky--had the girls in the shade so they wouldn't burn and I struggled with the lighting (blowouts and shadows).

I don't have lightroom etc. I'm using the picnic editing tools that are offered by smugmug.

I used the aperture setting on all but 7. in which I used the "creative setting/pinhole" just for kicks.

My goal is to improve my framing abilities and to get comfortable with the manual settings. I hope to one day post real pictures as opposed to snapshots--I'm guessing/hoping that will come with time and practice.

Thanks ahead of time for taking a look.

Here goes.

608109418_D9QkJ-XL-3.jpg

608597839_Gy2Pj-XL-1.jpg

608117560_Cmwhu-XL-6.jpg

608121605_AXTvV-XL-3.jpg

608123829_yGGBy-XL-4.jpg

608129305_WJvPd-XL-3.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Hello all,
    Let me just start by saying that I know these are considered snapshots, but you gotta start somewhere and I imagine even snapshots could use improvement.

I've had my camera for one month today and I'm loving every second of this learning experience (when I'm not busy cursing myself for having the camera in the wrong settings!).

These were taken in the yard yesterday on a sunny day without a cloud in the sky--had the girls in the shade so they wouldn't burn and I struggled with the lighting (blowouts and shadows).

I don't have lightroom etc. I'm using the picnic editing tools that are offered by smugmug.

I used the aperture setting on all but 7. in which I used the "creative setting/pinhole" just for kicks.

My goal is to improve my framing abilities and to get comfortable with the manual settings. I hope to one day post real pictures as opposed to snapshots--I'm guessing/hoping that will come with time and practice.

Thanks ahead of time for taking a look.

Here goes.

I envy you having the courage to go for manual setting thumb.gif I like all of these actually... the only one that left me a little "blah" was the black and white. I think you did a great job on the others.. love the expressions! Looking forward to seeing more.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Oh my goodness, those little girls are SO cute! I'm not fond of #3, and yes the light is a bit harsh in the shots, but you captured great expressions, you were close to your subjects and they look to be in focus. You're off to a great start! thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • markgorbymarkgorby Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    I like all of the crops and expressions. Great job. I think WB might be an issue on a few. Overall great job. Keep it up!
  • EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    lynnma wrote:
    I envy you having the courage to go for manual setting thumb.gif

Aperture priority is not really a manual setting is it? ne_nau.gif
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    markgorby wrote:
    I like all of the crops and expressions. Great job. I think WB might be an issue on a few. Overall great job. Keep it up!

Thank you all for you words. I went back and took a look at them again and I'm in full agreement that the b&w is not much to look at--I almost went back and deleted it but decided to leave it so I can look back on it sometime in the future and see if I've improved.

Framing was my priority on this along with trying to deal with harsh lighting and also learning how to blur the background.

I hope to get out there again soon and hopefully shoot different subject matter, not that I will ever get enough of my kids and niece, but there are so many new things I want to try.

Thank you for the input and encouragment.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Ekaj wrote:
    Aperture priority is not really a manual setting is it? ne_nau.gif
    right... it's not... I missed that.. still lovely shots tho rolleyes1.gif
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    First your children are so precious. # 4 is my favorite. Even though focus is a little soft I think given the expression and hat etc it works really well. Congrats on your new camera. Keep on clicking.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires