Full frame meets Samantha

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited August 3, 2009 in People
Had a chance for some shots in my garage with my new D700. Decided to use the 180mm, f2.8 which was always too long on my D2Xs.

608893753_ZVcxr-L.jpg

608894010_3yMdE-L.jpg

608895611_39tht-L.jpg

This one after a grueling game of "Pretty, pretty princess" with the lowly 50mm, f1.4 lens. Strange catchlights courtesy of my front door.

608042064_4Fa22-XL.jpg
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    I think I officially hate you :D (the D700 being the first camera I've ever heard about that's had me wondering if I should at least toy with the idea of considering selling all the Canon gear....)

It's a really different look you've got on these - was the light different than "usual", or is it just the change in gear? Samantha is adorable as usual (do you have any BAD pictures of that child?! :D)
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    I know of someone else who recently started shooting with the D700, which has made me decide that my dream gear would include a Nikon body with Canon glass! rolleyes1.gif
    Beautiful shots, beautiful child. The light and DOF are so dreamy and soft. 1 and 3 look just a teensy bit cool, especially compared to 4, which is just precious. Love those interesting catchlights.
    Enjoy the camera!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Congrats Mitchell!!!

Thats some yummy DOF!!!thumb.gif
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Wow, everybody is getting a d700! woo hoo for Nikonians! Love the pictures, that girl of yours is as cute as a button.... Enjoy the new camera!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Oooohhh I want a full frame camera so bad... Sigh. Guess I'll just have to make due with my D90 and my not-as-shallow-as-it-could-be DOF for the time being.
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Wow. I knew I wanted a D700, but now even more so. Of course, we all know the photographer behind the camera is the most important part.

They are all beautiful, but #4 may be my favorite. I like the angle and warm background in #3.

Caroline
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I think I officially hate you :D (the D700 being the first camera I've ever heard about that's had me wondering if I should at least toy with the idea of considering selling all the Canon gear....)

It's a really different look you've got on these - was the light different than "usual", or is it just the change in gear? Samantha is adorable as usual (do you have any BAD pictures of that child?! :D)

Thanks, DM.

The D700 is really nice. I've been torn between buying a D3 or D700 over the past few months. In the end, I'm glad I opted for the D700. I will still use my D2Xs for sports and birding where I can use the reach. The clean high ISO files from the D700 are astounding.

I'm also happy that some lenses that I found too long on a cropped body seem to work so nicely on full frame. The 180mm is a perfect example. It was just too long in my garage on my cropped cameras, but it is just right on the D700.

I'm not sure why the lighting is different. These were my first shots with the D700. I'm still trying to figure out the subtleties of the sensor.
  • JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    #4 is the keeperclap.gif
    Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    Kinky Friedman
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Oh Mitchell! Those are just beautiful, I couldn't ever pick a favorite! clap.gif
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    # 4 is amaaaazing ! She is adorable, but you already knew that. I also just upgraded to the d 700, I LOVE it, I see a very big difference in my photos, love it love it love it. Samantha is lucky to have a Dad to take such beautiful photos of her as she grows up! Nice work.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    All very adorable, very well lit, and keep on enjoying your subject....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Hmm, looks like I am seeing more of Big Sister in Samantha. Like Step she is so beautiful and you did a great job with these. Congrats on your purchase. I always look forward to seeing you post and will be even more anxious with the new gear.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires