#30: Tenatively posting

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited August 3, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I'm not sure I like it, I'm not sure it does what I want, and I'm not sure I've gone past the limitations imposed by the space, but at least it's SOMETHING, which is more than I've managed all week.

I have been blllaannnkkkkk on this: I have loads of ideas for enviro portraits, but I'm so uncomfortable shooting strangers (ie street photography) and/or asking people outside the family to pose for me unless a shot just happens to emerge organically, that I don't feel I can actually achieve any of them. So... back to using myself. (At least I"m available, I'm free and I won't litigate with myself over not having a model release to post on the 'net :rofl)

Have at it.

Working titles:
"Day off Diva"
"In my element"
"Weekend Practice"

608942083_6YCfX-L.jpg

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 2, 2009
    Well what you have here is a starting point. I was thinking that there might need to be some type of action maybe? Like if you were practicing...what are you practicing? If its the piano then maybe a shot of you at the piano playing and a crop down of just you and the keyboard in view? Or if you were practicing singing...then mabe take something simular to what you have here and have an arm up and look like you are wailing out a note while looking in the mirror. Then consider cropping down some. These are just suggestions to maybe help with exciting the picture up. The vinette might be making this a little too dark. JMO.

Keep playing girl! I have every confident you will come up with something spetacular!
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    If the camera were at the right height and angle you could be seated...and playing.....and still use the mirror for face. It would work better for me THAT way.

Sheesh though....how is this easier than approaching someone you find interesting, explaining the challenge to them, and asking if you can shoot them in exchange for files and an 8x10?ne_nau.gif

Pack yer bag Diva!!!!:D
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    If the camera were at the right height and angle you could be seated...and playing.....and still use the mirror for face. It would work better for me THAT way.

Well DUH. Using the mirror was the hard part and I couldn't figure out how to frame it so I could be sitting as well - and you may have just provided the incredibly obvious answer. Sometimes my lack of ability to see the obvious amazes me... rolleyes1.gif Of course, because the mirror is so tall, it may still not work, but I can (and will) give it a try!

And thanks JAG - I thought about doing one mid-wail (!) but then got an image in my head of the kind of shot you see in the paper when they interview somebody - surroundings give the clues, but it's still a posed shot.

You've both given me good food for thought!! thumb.gif
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Well DUH. Using the mirror was the hard part and I couldn't figure out how to frame it so I could be sitting as well - and you may have just provided the incredibly obvious answer. Sometimes my lack of ability to see the obvious amazes me... rolleyes1.gif Of course, because the mirror is so tall, it may still not work, but I can (and will) give it a try!

And thanks JAG - I thought about doing one mid-wail (!) but then got an image in my head of the kind of shot you see in the paper when they interview somebody - surroundings give the clues, but it's still a posed shot.

You've both given me good food for thought!! thumb.gif

I would love to see you singing at the microphone. If you have a remote you could just sing as usual and snap some shots here and there. Your so creative I'm sure you'll come up with something but I'd love to see that.

g
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    I 'd love to see you sitting at the piano at a similar angle practicing in the mirror. Have the music open to a vocal piece where we can clearly see the title of what you're working on. You might even be able to get a caption for the photo out of that (shades of Challenge #29 :eek1 rolleyes1.gif).

Do you have an old Seth Thomas metronome? If you do, that would be a pretty cool thing to include in that shot too. mwink.gif
    edited August 3, 2009
    Thanks Gail and Linda :)

I would love to see you singing at the microphone. If you have a remote you could just sing as usual and snap some shots here and there. Your so creative I'm sure you'll come up with something but I'd love to see that.

Ah, but as an opera singer I don't use a microphone (well, except in large sports stadiums when FORCED to do so.... :D)
    richtersl wrote:
    I 'd love to see you sitting at the piano at a similar angle practicing in the mirror. Have the music open to a vocal piece where we can clearly see the title of what you're working on. You might even be able to get a caption for the photo out of that (shades of Challenge #29 :eek1 rolleyes1.gif).

Do you have an old Seth Thomas metronome? If you do, that would be a pretty cool thing to include in that shot too. mwink.gif

Sadly, I have a boring, electronic metronome (which, for the record, I loathe. Pushbuttons are a PAIN in a metronome!!!)

Yeah, I was disapopinted the music didn't show as clearly as I thought it would (in my mind's eye it did!), even once I burned in the darker printing music is actually the Witch from Hansel and Gretel (doing my first one in November - it's VERY fun to work on, and I'm excited about it!!)

I haven't tried again yet, but the problem with the mirror is it's hung straight and is above the piano, so I'm not sure how to get a reflection once I'm seated, but if I have the time I'm going to play around with it and see what I can do :)

Thanks for the feedback! thumb.gif
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 3, 2009
    So how attached is that mirror to the wall? Is it a perminant fixture or just hanging by a couple screws and a string? Maybe even bringing in a smaller portable mirror to place to the top front of the piano might work. I have rearranged my house before for a shot too. Not unheard of when your in a creative mode!mwink.gif
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    divamum wrote:

I haven't tried again yet, but the problem with the mirror is it's hung straight and is above the piano, so I'm not sure how to get a reflection once I'm seated, but if I have the time I'm going to play around with it and see what I can do :)

Thanks for the feedback! thumb.gif

If the mirror is hung by wire and not actually screwed to the wall, try CAREFULLY placing a few rolled-up washcloths behind it along the top. The weight of the mirror will keep the bottom against the wall and might give you the angle that you need. You might need to use hand towels. (The mirror looks heavy so please don't do this alone.)
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
    edited August 3, 2009
    The mirror:

It's 3'x5', very heavy, and secured with individual hooks at either side (not on a wire). It is a BEAST to move (especially since dropping it could potentially damage the piano), so I think I"ll be leaving it where it is for the time being! I may scrap it entirely since I'm not that happy with the shot to begin with, but we'll see; I won't have time to mess around with it until Weds probably, so I can think about it in the meantime..... :D
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    My first thought was "Nice mirror shot, but she isn't doing anything!"

Caroline
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    The mirror:

It's 3'x5', very heavy, and secured with individual hooks at either side (not on a wire). It is a BEAST to move (especially since dropping it could potentially damage the piano), so I think I"ll be leaving it where it is for the time being! I may scrap it entirely since I'm not that happy with the shot to begin with, but we'll see; I won't have time to mess around with it until Weds probably, so I can think about it in the meantime..... :D

Ah well, so much for that idea. One thought/senario that did cross my mind, in the dressing room getting into costume and warming up. Like I said, just a thought.
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    You know, it's too bad you and I don't live closer to each other. All we'd need is a grand piano and both of us can be in a picture in an environment that's more than familiar to both of us: you up front as the vocalist and me at the piano as the accompanist. :D

All we'd have to do is set up our tripods, put our cameras in auto-timer mode, and we'd be all set. eek7.gif I wonder how that would go over in one of these challenges.rolleyes1.gif
    edited August 3, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    You know, it's too bad you and I don't live closer to each other. All we'd need is a grand piano and both of us can be in a picture in an environment that's more than familiar to both of us: you up front as the vocalist and me at the piano as the accompanist. :D

All we'd have to do is set up our tripods, put our cameras in auto-timer mode, and we'd be all set. eek7.gif I wonder how that would go over in one of these challenges.rolleyes1.gif

I LOVE IT!!!!! Sadly, I won't be anywhere north of here until next MOnday.... too late to do a shot for the challenge ... Sigh.

(Oh and Kev - I'm not in production right now so no access to dressing rooms and cozzies. I had a GREAT environmental portrait opp when my daughter was doing her show last month. In fact, I nearly did one for the song challenge - I was going to shoot the makeup gal with somebody in the chair in curlers and call it "I enjoy being a girl" (from Flower Drum Song), but then I came up with the other entry and worked through that isntead...!)

Caroline, you're confirming that I need to get my mouth open if I"m going to use this one. We'll see!

Thanks all.