Dss #30 - C&c

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited August 7, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Got a few shots this weekend at a living history event. Am trying some new things with post processing. Would very much appreciate feedback from you folks. Thanks!

#1 - Francine at the Window (Bleach Bypass)
609202048_PTq6m-L.jpg

#2 - Francine at the Window (Rockwell-Like)
609192976_oSeYi-L.jpg

#3 - The Quill Pen Lady
609194212_PgfQp-L.jpg

#4 - Francine at the Window (I have a very patient friend. :rofl)
609196339_izhGW-L.jpg

#5 - John the Carpenter
609196738_gMhix-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    Oooo... I knew you'd come up with something awesome!

Of these, definitely #3 - the others are nice shots, but the one out the window seems to be more a candid than a portrait, and the carpenter doesn't offer enough visual clues around him (I wouldn't know he was a carpenter without the title).

But #3 really seems to fit the theme best AND is an interesting picture thumb.gif
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2009
    divamum wrote:

Of these, definitely #3 - the others are nice shots, but the one out the window seems to be more a candid than a portrait, and the carpenter doesn't offer enough visual clues around him (I wouldn't know he was a carpenter without the title).

But #3 really seems to fit the theme best AND is an interesting picture thumb.gif

I agree number 3. I love the processing on this one best to. Nice work as usual.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 3, 2009
    Oh yes! Number three stood above the rest! I really like it!!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    I like #3 too - nice PP thumb.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    I like both the poses and feeling of the "Francine by the window" shots and "The quill pen lady". The PP is a bit much for me personally, though, but I'm usually the odd one out. :D
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Thanks everyone! thumb.gif

Kristen, when I looked at the thread this morning I think I agree with you that the PP needs to be toned down in #3. nod.gif

I'm not 100% sure how much of a role the surroundings need to play in an environmental portrait. John the Carpenter was probably a bit of a stretch because he was standing in a doorway and you could only catch a glimpse of his setup. My friend Fran, was doing quill pen demonstrations for folks. She was in the kitchen/gathering room of an old house. In the 18th century, much of a woman's life centered around her kitchen so I figured those shots might be appropriate too. I emailed her copies of them last night. (I think she's going to go ga-ga over them. mwink.gif)
    edited August 3, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Thanks everyone! thumb.gif

Kristen, when I looked at the thread this morning I think I agree with you that the PP needs to be toned down in #3. nod.gif

I'm not 100% sure how much of a role the surroundings need to play in an environmental portrait. John the Carpenter was probably a bit of a stretch because he was standing in a doorway and you could only catch a glimpse of his setup. My friend Fran, was doing quill pen demonstrations for folks. She was in the kitchen/gathering room of an old house. In the 18th century, much of a woman's life centered around her kitchen so I figured those shots might be appropriate too. I emailed her copies of them last night. (I think she's going to go ga-ga over them. mwink.gif)

15524779-Ti.gif

Yes, Kristen is right mwink.gif

I actually like #2 too :)
    Travelways.com
    edited August 3, 2009
    Some revised shots
    #1 - Revised Quill Pen Lady (Rockwell-like effect)
    609951573_FFrN2-L.jpg

#2 - Revised Quill Pen Lady (Bleach-bypass effect)
    609950405_iP4gs-L-1.jpg

Also pulled this one out of my hat...

#3 - Quill Pen Lady doing her thing (Rockwell-like effect)
    609200314_Vio3a-L-1.jpg

I like all three of these, but am leaning toward the first one in this set for now. What do you folks think? headscratch.gif
    edited August 3, 2009
    Wonderful creations Linda!

I like #2 best because the lady is standing out more.
    Travelways.com
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Your rework of #1, Quill Pen Lady, is fantastic!! Very nicely done, my favorite of the set.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    I think I like the second rework better than the first, but (bear in mind I'm using a low-quality monitor at the moment) it looks to me like it just needs a little kick in levels/curves. I can definitely see how the shot lends itself to the treatments you've given to it.

If you go with the first rework, there is a white crack or something on the brown door that seem to be enhanced in that particular treatment that was pretty distracting for me, so it might not hurt just to work that down a little bit.

I really like the feel of the shots. thumb.gif
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Hey Linda;

Really like #1, Mom keeping the homefires going for pending arrival of family/friends. definently an environmental portrayal of how THINGS USED TO BE.....lol Now we just pop it into the microwave...lol lol

On your second set of reworks...I like the Quill Lady with the students....Definently shows an environmental portrayal of a "Teacher".

Hope all is good.
    Donna P.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    All of these are excellent Linda! I'm on my work monitor which is horrible but even so... my favorites are the Rockwell and the Bleach Bypass reworks of the Quill Pen Lady. It is a wonderfully done storytelling portrait. thumb.gif
    edited August 5, 2009
    Thanks, Kristen, Donna, & Travis! :D
  • DripfaucetDripfaucet Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    divamum wrote:

I find it VERY distracting on #3 the PRINTED piece of paper in the basket. does she have an epson under the table? (at least it looks printed).
    either way, it seems "set up".

the bleached version of the shot it best.
    Brad

wormer.smugmug.com