For moving objects Tamron 28-75 or something else?

startingjourneystartingjourney Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited August 3, 2009 in Cameras
I read the other thread that mentions that this lens is slow. I'm looking for a lens at this range for under $700. Is there anything else with faster AF in the up to 70mm or up to 100mm range? I will be taking photos of people at least walking or moving around and perhaps other non stationary objects with the lens.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 2, 2009
    I read the other thread that mentions that this lens is slow. I'm looking for a lens at this range for under $700. Is there anything else with faster AF in the up to 70mm or up to 100mm range? I will be taking photos of people at least walking or moving around and perhaps other non stationary objects with the lens.

Please remind us, which camera(s)?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • startingjourneystartingjourney Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    canon xsi
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    I shot sports with the Tamron. It is definitly not a slow lens. But yes, a $1500 24-70mm f/2.8 L USM lens will be a bit faster. mwink.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 3, 2009

It is not as quick to focus as an L lens, but as long as the light is good, it should do just fine for the situations you describe. It probably is not a good choice for sports. If you can do without the wide end, you could also consider the Canon 70-200 F4/L, which is in your price range and has very fast AF. FWIW, I have both lenses, but my shooting choice is dictated only by the range (and sometimes the DOF), not by AF speed.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    I've shot weddings and receptions with the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 lens. The only AF problem I ever encountered was in very, very dim environments - then the lens would sometimes hunt (on a 20D, and on a 30D) just a touch. In anything even approaching decent light, the lens AF was/is stellar - which is one reason I still have the lens.

I have a friend who uses the 28-75 as his primary lens when photographing weddings/receptions/portraits, etc and his work is wonderful.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 3, 2009
    canon xsi

Make sure that you use that Tamron lens with the center focus only on the XSi. Use focus-recompose technique for more distant subjects but use "focus then crop in post" technique for closer subjects.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    I don't have the 28-75, but I use its sibling the Tamron 17-50 on my xsi and it remains my most reliable and consistent lens. The focusing isn't as silent as a Canon L, but it's plenty fast in decent light, and that thing has even focused in the pitch darkness for me. It's consistently sharp, too.