Deception Falls

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited August 3, 2009 in Landscapes
took a drive up to Deception Falls this afternoon. it's up in the mountains just a few miles west of Stevens Pass on highway 2, a main cross-state route. it's more a series of cataracts than a waterfall, but still a nice spot to visit and photograph. quite a few people there, but i managed a few decent pix. this is the upper falls. 5D, Tammy 24-135, 3 shots bracketed from 1/2 second nominal at f/16. processed using Photomatix Pro 3.2...

DeceptionFallsHDRsm.jpg
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    I haven't been up to Deception Falls in years. Musta been nice and cool on a hot one like today.

This shot illustrates my idea of how to deploy HDR. If you didn't note it, I would not have known and that's just dandy. Most HDR is slathered onto a shot like too much lipstick on what was a lovely woman.

Anyway, this is a very fine shot. Nice energy and movement within the frame, the water looks refreshing, and all the technicals are spot on.

I might just head up there next weekend myself.

M
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Nice composition and really nice processing. Can't tell its a HDR. Good shutter speed too.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    thanks, guys. :D i agree, Miguel... too many people overdo the HDR processing, and the result looks like something from a science fiction movie. maybe they like the effect... i've seen some that were sort of intriguing, in a circus sideshow sort of way, but when it's done with a light touch, and an eye toward keeping the output looking natural, it's a very valuable tool.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Exquisite photo with wonderful exposure and dof. I love the soft water against the sharp rocks, and I like the way you kept the saturation low. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif . The angles and the composition is spot on in my opinion.iloveyou.gif

Dan
  • wirehuntwirehunt Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Now this is a nice HDR. And look, you didn't have to go 30 stops either way thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

I wish a few (read lot) more people would use this process how you have.
    Stephen Dickson: The one from the south island of New Zealand.

Work hard, play harder. bloggy
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Nicely done! Sometimes the smaller waterfalls/flows end up being the most photogenic.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Very nicely done HDR ! so natural
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Fantastic shot! I love everything about this image, from the composition to the post-processing to the colors. The shutter speed is also perfect for this cascade. A great image! clap.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Stunning Rocky. This is another wall hanger!! I love the HDR work here!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    thanks for the kind words, guys! :D
    ~ Rocky
    Three Dog Night

• dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Nice image with perfect exposure and pleasing colors. I find the bright branches that are barely sticking into the shot a little on the left to be distracting. Other than that little nit, I really like this.
  • Dwayne OakesDwayne Oakes Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Awesome ! thanks for posting.

Take care,

Dwayne Oakes