Porsche Wagon...Thoughts?

Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
edited August 4, 2009 in Landscapes
So, I took a photo of this car about 2 years ago with my old point and shoot.
520576209_c76xs-M-1.jpg

Now, I've got my 50D and a couple decent lenses, and A LOT more knowledge. I was driving home from my grandma's house yesterday and the sunset was beautiful, so I stopped by the 'ole girl to snap a couple off. I have a couple that I like.

Anyways, I wanted to keep the "oldness" of the car while giving tribute to the beautiful sunset beyond. This is what I came up with.

609386087_LuTPe-L.jpg

Also, the non desaturated version. I didn't like a complete B&W conversion, however I also didn't like the all color version. Well, I mean I liked it, just think it needed something more.

609389801_3nYiE-L.jpg

Which one is everyone liking more? If any? Why/why not?

Thanks for looking!

Also, I named it Porsche Wagon due to the fact that its sitting on some old wagon wheels, it's not actually a Porsche Wagon.

Comments

• Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Man I am really torn on this one. Number one you have great sky so you know you have to capture it in color as you did, I do like the B/W of the car and I actually kind of like the original P/S but the sky is blown out. I really think this could be a great opportunity for a grungy HDR for another time. It is a perfect candidate for that illustrative type of processing.

But if I had to cloose between the three I like the last one the best the colors tie out will with the sky. Too bad you have the tele wires to deal with.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    I think I like #3 best here. The colors are fabulous. I'm not crazy about the flash, but that's a minor nit. thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    What he said^....

Maybe stepping back (& cropping) would reduce the flash spot. The sky color is nice but the flash treatment of the Porche doesn't work for me

The B&W treatment would be nice at a different time of day (no shadow)
    Rags
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    3rd works for me !

great colors and compo
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    #3 wins i for me. I'm so glad you went back with your advanced gear to shoot this car again, as it was well worth the wait. :D

I suffer from this as well when I use fill flash, but the flash looks a little bright in comparison to the sunset behind it. Maybe it's so much bright but the WB is much cooler than the warm tones you'd expect to see in sunset, and certainly cooler than what we're seeing with our own eyes at that time of the day.

Anyway, that's probably why I love #3 the best, because the forground seems much warmer than in #2. Well done!
  • Candid ArtsCandid Arts Registered Users Posts: 1,685 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the comments. For me, something about that car in B&W just fits. I dunno. I agree with all of you about the flash. Ideally, I would have a couple soft boxes set up to light it a bit more evenly, but didn't pack those in my back pack (nor do I have them). I had another shot that was better lit, but the car wasn't as sharp as in this photo. I'm still playing with it and another, but this was my favorite I think, aside from the lighting...