Options

Book review: EF Lens Work III, The Eyes of EOS

robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
edited June 25, 2005 in Accessories
I just received the book EF Lens Work III published by Canon. It's for sale around $20 and is a great book in addition to any other photography books. The first few pages talk about the history of Canon and the path of evolution from camera to camera. Then the book breaks into a explanation of each lens with the purpose they are designed for, with a very large sample photo. These sample pages are very similar to the sample pages that are available on Canon's website.

After that the book goes further into the technology of how the lens are made and designed. While the later chapters lost me on the very detailed engineering specs I was surprised to learn about the grinding engineers who by hand grind a lens element to smoothness measured in atomic particles. Also found that Canon actually had a lens faster than the 50mm F/1, they released a 50mm f/.95 in 1961. Good trivia question!

Possibly the most helpful information was the chapter detailing lens problem. There were examples of light reflections, ghosting, and chromatic aberration with reasons for the cause. While the book comes off sounding like a $20 Canon brochure, I personally feel it's a very nice general book for anyone interesting in Canon products.

:thumb

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?A=details&Q=&is=REG&O=productlist&sku=12218

Rob
Enjoying photography since 1980.

Comments