nightgown shots

waitmanwaitman Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited August 28, 2009 in Technique
hi,

i'm new to dgrin and smugmug, but after watching the video on b-something i'm excited. :lust

i am doing a 'maximum photo marathon' this coming weekend, shooting almost nonstop friday through sunday. some in studio, some out. part of the shoot will be nightgowns, which i haven't done before. I've spent hours today going through thousands of other people's nightgown shots, trying to build a strategy.

brief notes:

no bed shots, not interested. but maybe couch shot

props. candles, lamps, mirror, curtains/blinds
mANY good shots are backlit. and light from below. showing body through nightgown.
studio, grey background looks good.
bedhead hair
model sitting down
looking out window, hands touching window
sheet with light behind in hallway
dark, w/ overhead light coming down separated by dark, dramatic

bad shots, almost always daylight in grass. full light looks good if expensive props/set but not doing that.

any ideas? i appreciate your help.

have a fantastic _

waitman

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Just a though, I've never shot this before, but have you thought of purposely shooting with the white balance set to cool to simulate a moon lit scene? Use a flash to further emphasize this? Just kicking an idea at you.
  • waitmanwaitman Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 5, 2009
    Just a though, I've never shot this before, but have you thought of purposely shooting with the white balance set to cool to simulate a moon lit scene? Use a flash to further emphasize this? Just kicking an idea at you.

hmmmm, good idea, i'll see what happens. just took a quick shot with an 80a filter / 1600 iso / 3200k to check it out.

needs some refinement! ;-)
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    waitman wrote:
    hmmmm, good idea, i'll see what happens. just took a quick shot with an 80a filter / 1600 iso / 3200k to check it out.

needs some refinement! ;-)

You know, and just a thought, you might put a flash on one side of a fake Window frame, shooting down at an angle. The flash might cast the shadow of the frame (could be paint sticks or something, nothing too fancy or expensive) and that might make a nice element. Not sure if you have wireless or off camera flash capabilities, but if you do, it might be something you can try.
  • waitmanwaitman Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited August 5, 2009
    You know, and just a thought, you might put a flash on one side of a fake Window frame, shooting down at an angle. The flash might cast the shadow of the frame (could be paint sticks or something, nothing too fancy or expensive) and that might make a nice element. Not sure if you have wireless or off camera flash capabilities, but if you do, it might be something you can try.

hmmm i'll try setting a light up high on a stand, good idea. thanks!
  • PhotosbyKWPhotosbyKW Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    If you don't have space to store a spare window after the shoot, this idea looks pretty cool with a 4x4 piece of latticwork like you see as underpinning for decks as well, and will store in minimul space. Just a thought.
    Consistantly Inconsistant.

www.PhotosbyKW.smugmug.com