Purple Mountain's Majesty

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited August 3, 2009 in Landscapes
Mahesh's recent photos, and the weather forecast, inspired me to take a trip up to Spray Park (on the lesser frequented northwest part of Mt. Rainier National Park). The hike to Spray Park is 3-4 miles each way (depending on how far you go). Because it's on the west side of The Mountain, it's probably the best sunset spot in the park (most of the other well known spots - Sunrise, Tipsoo, and Paradise - are better at sunrise).

I attempted the hike last year the same day as I did a long hike on Paradise, but I injured my knee about 3 miles in and had to turn around (that was a fun walk back...). This year I was armed with trekking poles (and a head lamp!) so it was significantly easier, and I was able to take some shots from this spot for the first time.

Unfortunately the mosquitoes got to me. I don't know what I did to piss them off (at first - eventually they probably sought out revenge for their brethren who died for the cause), but they were everywhere. I literally have over one hundred mosquito bites on me. I look like the before on a Stridex commercial. I had to put on my coat and some light pants (my waterproof pants I use for the beach/waterfalls) when it was still 80 degrees and had wait around for two hours sweating while they gnawed on my face. When I held a GND for about a 2 second exposure I counted about 8 of them on my left hand!

Enough of that, here are my two favorite shots.

Well almost, first some background music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghz4_kikLkE

And now the shots:

#1:

609712625_RBGHN-XL.jpg

#2: This was shot at ISO 640 to freeze the flowers.

609573345_h5es5-XL.jpg

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    2nd is so great on eyes ! lovely colors

very nice work as usual Ron !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Awesome shots, Ron! I love the reflection and composition on the first. It looks like it could do with a little CCW rotation to fix the apparent horizon. The 2nd is magical as well! Weren't the wildflowers great? How far up the trail did you get? Did you make it up to the ridge line?

I should have warned you about the mosquitos. Every time I go hiking now, I always wear the Buzz Off line of clothing from Ex Officio. They have insect repellant imbedded in their fabric, and it works like a charm. Basically I had socks, convertible pants, shirt, hat, and a handkerchief around my neck all made of that "Buzz Off" material. I also had on a very light pair of gloves (they don't make Buzz Off gloves yet) :D It was a little warm (but all that clothing protected me from the UV rays of the sun too) I didn't have a single bite on me. The stuff on the clothes is suppose to last about 70 washings, the approximate life of the garment. I got the clothes at REI, but there is also an Ex Officio store in Bellevue and Belltown, if you're interested. I don't own any stock in the company; just a very, very satisfied customer. :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    2nd is so great on eyes ! lovely colors

very nice work as usual Ron !

Thanks Awais, it was awesome up there. I wish I had some clouds, but otherwise it was perfect. Aside from the relentless blood sucking swarm of insects :D
    edited August 3, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Awesome shots, Ron! I love the reflection and composition on the first. It looks like it could do with a little CCW rotation to fix the apparent horizon. The 2nd is magical as well! Weren't the wildflowers great? How far up the trail did you get? Did you make it up to the ridge line?

I should have warned you about the mosquitos. Every time I go hiking now, I always wear the Buzz Off line of clothing from Ex Officio. They have insect repellant imbedded in their fabric, and it works like a charm. Basically I had socks, convertible pants, shirt, hat, and a handkerchief around my neck all made of that "Buzz Off" material. I also had on a very light pair of gloves (they don't make Buzz Off gloves yet) :D It was a little warm (but all that clothing protected me from the UV rays of the sun too) I didn't have a single bite on me. The stuff on the clothes is suppose to last about 70 washings, the approximate life of the garment. I got the clothes at REI, but there is also an Ex Officio store in Bellevue and Belltown, if you're interested. I don't own any stock in the company; just a very, very satisfied customer. :D

Good call on the horizon, it was actually not perfectly level in reality, but it wasn't as tilted as that (I updated the image). I didn't go all the way to the end of the trail, my back was a little sore from carrying the 35 lbs. of crap (which is awesome considering I only used the 16-35 the whole time I was there. Next trip will be more water and less camera lenses!). I did walk about .5 miles off the main trail to a little spur trail which is where I found that tarn from the first photo (there were a lot of other tarns that way too, but I liked this one the best).

I will definitely check out the Buzz Off clothing, sounds like a great idea. At minimum I'll get some spray and throw it in my camera bag. Did you have anything to protect your face, or was all the repellent everywhere else enough to keep them away? My main problem is I don't have a beard on my forehead. I might have to work on that :D
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Very nice Ron. clap.gif

Mahesh: Now you tell him rolleyes1.gif

Danny
    edited August 3, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Good call on the horizon, it was actually not perfectly level in reality, but it wasn't as tilted as that (I updated the image). I didn't go all the way to the end of the trail, my back was a little sore from carrying the 35 lbs. of crap (which is awesome considering I only used the 16-35 the whole time I was there. Next trip will be more water and less camera lenses!). I did walk about .5 miles off the main trail to a little spur trail which is where I found that tarn from the first photo (there were a lot of other tarns that way too, but I liked this one the best).

I will definitely check out the Buzz Off clothing, sounds like a great idea. At minimum I'll get some spray and throw it in my camera bag. Did you have anything to protect your face, or was all the repellent everywhere else enough to keep them away? My main problem is I don't have a beard on my forehead. I might have to work on that :D

I did have some Deet (didn't use it), but you should avoid putting that stuff on your face. Luckily, the bugs didn't go for my face as the other clothing protected me. I saw one guy with a net around his head, which I thought was a good idea. I think I'll invest in that, just in case. :D

As far as water, I carried 2L in a Camelback hydration system. I also carry the SteriPen, an amazing, light-weight device that allows me to purify water. It uses UV light to damage the DNA of micro-organisms (including viruses which pump filters don't get) in the water. That way, I don't have to carry a ton of water. When I run out or am getting low, I simply get water from a stream or tarn and "zap" it with the SteriPen. I've used it now on many trips...haven't gotten sick once (knock on wood), so it really must work.

As far as gear, now days, I'm carrying all my Sony stuff with me, along with tent, food, etc. I'm getting in shape for a 5 day backpacking trip in late September. Even if I go out for a day hike, I still bring all that crap with me. A well fitted backpack is essential for proper weight distribution (most of your backpack weight should sit on your hips via the waste strap, not on your shoulders or back). You should look into that as well.

Mahesh
    edited August 3, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:

Mahesh: Now you tell him rolleyes1.gif

Danny

rolleyes1.gif He! He! (Evil laugh) mwink.gif

Mahesh
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Nicely done Ron. The second one is fantastic.

Those Buzz Off clothes do work. My wife is a mosquito magnet (she claims it is because she's sweet, I claim it's the amount of CO2 she puts out...lol). They work very well for her. As far as head netting, look for a beekeepers head netting. I envision that working out just fine.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    that first one is a wall-hanger for sure, Ron... one of these days, i'll have to try to get up to that spot... with plenty of water and bug spray!! (i wonder... is that the source of the name "Spray Park"?? :D)
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Both shots are beautiful. You found the perfect spot for the first one and the perfect angle to bring out the flowers in the second.

BUT you do have it wrong. The mosquitoes were not pissed off at you. They were having a party (on you) to celebrate your return!
    edited August 3, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    I did have some Deet (didn't use it), but you should avoid putting that stuff on your face. Luckily, the bugs didn't go for my face as the other clothing protected me. I saw one guy with a net around his head, which I thought was a good idea. I think I'll invest in that, just in case. :D

As far as water, I carried 2L in a Camelback hydration system. I also carry the SteriPen, an amazing, light-weight device that allows me to purify water. It uses UV light to damage the DNA of micro-organisms (including viruses which pump filters don't get) in the water. That way, I don't have to carry a ton of water. When I run out or am getting low, I simply get water from a stream or tarn and "zap" it with the SteriPen. I've used it now on many trips...haven't gotten sick once (knock on wood), so it really must work.

As far as gear, now days, I'm carrying all my Sony stuff with me, along with tent, food, etc. I'm getting in shape for a 5 day backpacking trip in late September. Even if I go out for a day hike, I still bring all that crap with me. A well fitted backpack is essential for proper weight distribution (most of your backpack weight should sit on your hips via the waste strap, not on your shoulders or back). You should look into that as well.

Awesome, more stuff to buy! I was thinking of getting a water filtration system of some sort, especially now in summer, so I appreciate the recommendation. Gone are the days when I'd walk 16 miles without any water. I was either young, stupid, or in shape. Probably the first two.

I really really really need to start backpacking to some of these places (even if for one or two nights). So much more opportunities that way.
    edited August 3, 2009
    bryanj87 wrote:
    Nicely done Ron. The second one is fantastic.

Those Buzz Off clothes do work. My wife is a mosquito magnet (she claims it is because she's sweet, I claim it's the amount of CO2 she puts out...lol). They work very well for her. As far as head netting, look for a beekeepers head netting. I envision that working out just fine.
    Thanks Bryan. I'll definitely do some shopping before my next trip!
    edited August 3, 2009
    squirl033 wrote:
    that first one is a wall-hanger for sure, Ron... one of these days, i'll have to try to get up to that spot... with plenty of water and bug spray!! (i wonder... is that the source of the name "Spray Park"?? :D)

Ha, I actually made that joke to someone ("They should have named it Bug Spray Park."). It's definitely a worthwhile hike, stunning views of the mountain, and I like the three dimensional quality of Rainier from that perspective, it looks a little flat (relatively) from Paradise for example.
    edited August 3, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    Both shots are beautiful. You found the perfect spot for the first one and the perfect angle to bring out the flowers in the second.

BUT you do have it wrong. The mosquitoes were not pissed off at you. They were having a party (on you) to celebrate your return!

Thanks - but now I feel guilty for killing them! Well, not that guilty given that it looks like I just had a relapse of the chicken pox :D
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Love the reflection in the first, and the field of color in the second. Beautiful!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Allan FGAllan FG Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    I really like the wildflowers in the second shot, I think I'm going to have to get back up there this summer.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    They're each great in their own way. I love the reflection of the first but the densely packed lupine of the second is also stunning. I'm excited to get a chance to check this place out.
    edited August 3, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    They're each great in their own way. I love the reflection of the first but the densely packed lupine of the second is also stunning. I'm excited to get a chance to check this place out.

I would have (should have?) stuck around to do more shots like #2 after sunset but I was so sick of getting gnawed on by mosquitoes that I just wanted to leave. Next time I'll be better prepared!
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    I would have (should have?) stuck around to do more shots like #2 after sunset but I was so sick of getting gnawed on by mosquitoes that I just wanted to leave. Next time I'll be better prepared!

Next time I'm up there I think I'll be drenching myself in mosquito repellent.