Car Rally Shots

canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
edited August 3, 2009 in Sports
I was at an auto stage rally yesterday and I took a load of shots and I sent some of the images to the organiser who requested them. I have enclosed five of the images I sent and I received an email saying they were far from right the colours were all wrong and artificial and not representing the real thing. I have sent the same images to a few friends and they say they are fine and had no complaints whatsoever. They also appear perfect on my monitor. I am no expert and this is why I have shown them on here to get some real comment and sound advice which I have always experienced in the past.
Regards
Bob
609707821_dTG4T-L.jpg
609707550_SfGjg-L.jpg
609707347_eEJiA-L.jpg
609707161_G7ZQC-L.jpg
609706908_cCYBz-L.jpg

Comments

• aerosmith9110aerosmith9110 Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    From a newbie view of point....

Pics 1 and 2 seems like the cars are just parked. I tend to like motor sports pics that used panning...

But its just me....
    Current Bike:
    Suzuki Raider 150 (figure it out):dunno
    Yamaha mio 180cc 4V

Former Bikes:
    Italjet Dragster 172cc Full race
    Honda NSR250 PGMIII Full race
    Honda Dio 90 H2O cooled Full race

http://bikepics.com/members/aerosmith9110/
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    From a newbie view of point....

Pics 1 and 2 seems like the cars are just parked. I tend to like motor sports pics that used panning...

But its just me....

I would agree with what you say. But how do you find the quality of the images?
    Regards
    Bob
  • aerosmith9110aerosmith9110 Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    I would agree with what you say. But how do you find the quality of the images?
    Regards
    Bob

not bad at all... colors good from my uncalibrated monitor and untrained eyes..
    Current Bike:
    Suzuki Raider 150 (figure it out):dunno
    Yamaha mio 180cc 4V

Former Bikes:
    Italjet Dragster 172cc Full race
    Honda NSR250 PGMIII Full race
    Honda Dio 90 H2O cooled Full race

http://bikepics.com/members/aerosmith9110/
    edited August 3, 2009
    not bad at all... colors good from my uncalibrated monitor and untrained eyes..

Thanks for your reply. This is what I received from the organiser:-
    <style type="text/css"> BODY,.aolmailheader {font-size:10pt; color:black; font-family:Arial;} a.aolmailheader:link {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} a.aolmailheader:visited {color:magenta; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} a.aolmailheader:active {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} a.aolmailheader:hover {color:blue; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:normal;} </style>Comments (rather than criticism) are that the colours in all your images, including the ones you sent me from the air show, seem to be somehow `artificial`. They certainly are not true colour reproductions of the real thing and I wonder if you`ve perhaps selected a setting on your camera that automatically does this to every image you take ?. It`s not the best look however I`m afraid and I suggest you look into this as a priority. It reminds me of old wartime black & white wedding photos that had colour added later !
    I would like other comments to put my mind at ease one way or another.
    Regards
    Bob
  • GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    I would like other comments to put my mind at ease one way or another.
    Regards
    Bob

Hey Bob,

On my uncalibrated monitor the colors look fine to me. I am not sure if I understand one thing. Did you send actual prints to the organizer or did you just email him some images. I wonder if the lab is printing poorly or if he just has weird monitor settings. It would be neat to take a 8x10 out to the spot and see how close it matches the colors.

Again these look fine to me.
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
    edited August 3, 2009
    Gringriff wrote:
    Hey Bob,

On my uncalibrated monitor the colors look fine to me. I am not sure if I understand one thing. Did you send actual prints to the organizer or did you just email him some images. I wonder if the lab is printing poorly or if he just has weird monitor settings. It would be neat to take a 8x10 out to the spot and see how close it matches the colors.

Again these look fine to me.

Hi Gringriff
    I really do appreciate your reply. I sent him 50 images via email. I have sent samples to three people and they say they are ok. I wonder what his problem is? Could it be his monitor that needs calibtrating?
  • KellyCKellyC Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Colors look good here, I would assume it is his monitor.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    The colors look okay..though they could use some contrast and punch. I don't get the guys comments at all.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited August 3, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    The colors look okay..though they could use some contrast and punch. I don't get the guys comments at all.

Thanks once again to you all for reassuring me that the problem is not at my end. I knew as always I would get the true facts from all you pro guys which I truly appreciate.
    Thanks once again
    Bob
  • nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    I have enclosed five of the images I sent and I received an email saying they were far from right the colours were all wrong and artificial and not representing the real thing.

Say what?????????
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    They seem like they might be a little highly saturated. Especially the blue and red of the first two, The greens are very vibrant and I like that, I normally throw my grasses very green, but that is a personal taste as much s anything.

I do like them and even though I might agree that the reds and blues are a little tiny bit overdone, it is similar to what I would have done as well. Then again I tend to oversaturate things s little myself.

I do have a calibrated monitor, although newly calibrated and still getting used to it, and very far from a colour expert myself. So take my opinions for what they are worth....
    edited August 4, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    They seem like they might be a little highly saturated. Especially the blue and red of the first two, The greens are very vibrant and I like that, I normally throw my grasses very green, but that is a personal taste as much s anything.

I do like them and even though I might agree that the reds and blues are a little tiny bit overdone, it is similar to what I would have done as well. Then again I tend to oversaturate things s little myself.

I do have a calibrated monitor, although newly calibrated and still getting used to it, and very far from a colour expert myself. So take my opinions for what they are worth....

Thanks for those remarks Toshido I really appreciate what you have said.
    Regards
    Bob