bike race... the final selection

DripfaucetDripfaucet Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited August 5, 2009 in Sports
Here is a shot i captured on the last corner of a crit.
i do not feel i have strong processing skills, but i was wondering if everyone could chime in with their thoughts and criticism on this one. thanks in advance for your input!

609009736_fG4qV-L.jpg
Brad

wormer.smugmug.com

Comments

• phillybikeboyphillybikeboy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Dripfaucet wrote:
    i do not feel i have strong processing skills, but i was wondering if everyone could chime in with their thoughts and criticism on this one.
    There are times such loose framing can work. If there are some scenic elements that contribute to the sense of place. If the empty space is filled with cheering fans to convey the sense of excitement. Otherwise, you probably want a tighter crop, or to fill the frame up more. All that empty space at the right and top doesn't add anything to the shot,

These office/industrial park and parking lot crits are just dreadful settings. Usually the only interesting visual there are the racers. If that's all you got to work with, use it. Fill the frame with them. Dano's Local criterium in So. Cal thread provides some excellent examples.

If you don't have enough lens to get what you want, move closer. The inside apex of that turn is a great place to get down low with a wide lens and try some panning shots. Hey, it's a crit....they're going to come by once every minute and ten seconds for 45 minutes to an hour. To bastardize the great Eddie Merckx, "Shoot lots."
  • nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Dripfaucet wrote:
    i do not feel i have strong processing skills, but i was wondering if everyone could chime in with their thoughts and criticism on this one. thanks in advance for your input!

609009736_fG4qV-L.jpg

For one, your WB is way off.

Also, it could be cropped tighter.

610235226_nZh5Y-O.jpg
  • DripfaucetDripfaucet Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    great feed back, thanks!
    Brad

wormer.smugmug.com
  • budman101budman101 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Try moving to the inside corner about 20 or so feet after the turn. You get much more dramatic shots when they get out of the saddle to sprint back up to speed. Also try to be lower than the eye level of the riders. That way you get under the helmet and eliminate some of the background clutter.
    601421782_eKt9S-M.jpg
    www.joemallis.com
    "Most time its not the gear that makes the shot"
    edited August 4, 2009
    I did find being below eye level to be helpful, here another one i captured at the same corner in the women's race. i'll try sticking to the inside corner at the next race.

610394735_ejoyh-L.jpg
    Brad

wormer.smugmug.com
  • phillybikeboyphillybikeboy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Dripfaucet wrote:
    I did find being below eye level to be helpful, here another one i captured at the same corner in the women's race.
    Much better.thumb.gif Put something in all that empty space, and it becomes your friend. Then a little bit of crop and color correction, and there ya go!

610803800_bxXTu-XL.jpg
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Agreed, the second is much better. Looking forward to more cycling photos!
    edited August 4, 2009
    bike21 wrote:
    Agreed, the second is much better. Looking forward to more cycling photos!

will do!
    Brad

wormer.smugmug.com
  • DanoDano Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    As others have stated crop tighter and watch your back grounds, especially if you are going to be shooting at low apertures. Second is def. better.