CH41: Top Gun

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited June 30, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Took this at the air show last weekend. It looks good on my monitor but washed out on other monitors. So here's the 1st version:

25662459-M.jpg

And here's a darker version:

26068183-M.jpg

Which one looks better to y'all?

I've got a monitor calibrator on it's way to me, so hopefully I won't have this issue much longer!

Comments

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    I also like this one even though technically it's not great. But I think it shows the speed nicely as this guy pulls hard and goes vertical. I love the vapor trails over the wings as the forces compress the moisture out of the air.

I could title this "Speed Freaks With Guns" lol3.gif or "Thundering Speed" instead of "Top Gun". What do you think?

25662433-M.jpg
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    I like the darker one much better. You are right the first picture is a little washed out. I think this is a very nice capture. You were able to get every single plane in the frame and your not missing one tail wing. Very nice job.
    I hope it was fun.
    Ashley

26068183-M.jpg
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
    edited June 25, 2005
    Thanks Ashley, I figured the darker was better but it looks terrible on my monitor! I did crop this a bit, but not much.

The show was fun, but a bit too windy so they couldn't do their full routine. We still had a blast though! thumb.gif
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    I second the second onerolleyes1.gif The darker colors make the jets pop more. Great pic and movie title, one of my all time favorites.

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
    edited June 25, 2005
    Thanks Eric. Um, but I changed the title when I put it in the challenge thread. :uhoh It's now "Where Angels Dance", what do think? I thought Top Gun needed a single plane? Even though I love the movie as you do.

I know I'm over-thinking, I'm just in it for fun anyway! I'm just gonna leave it alone and see what happens.

Thanks! thumb.gif
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
    Darker one for sure thumb.gif
    very cool shot
  • Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    jets
    I would photoshop the 2nd one a little to give them more of an effect of speed. The photo is great and I take my hat off to you because I've never been successful getting such a photo.
    edited June 26, 2005
    Thanks for the comments guys. thumb.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 27, 2005
    I've been busy, so haven't had time to comment. Found this one a little too late (and I have to say I'm really surprised this didn't make the finals... ehem). What a great frickin shot!!! I know for a fact that's not easy to do, even with multi-thousand dollar glass!

Excellent work DJ! Composition is perfect, so right on target for the movie title too. Sorry man, it was my winner over the current top 10 or 8 or whatever.
    thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited June 28, 2005
    Thanks Doc!
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I've been busy, so haven't had time to comment. Found this one a little too late (and I have to say I'm really surprised this didn't make the finals... ehem). What a great frickin shot!!! I know for a fact that's not easy to do, even with multi-thousand dollar glass!

Excellent work DJ! Composition is perfect, so right on target for the movie title too. Sorry man, it was my winner over the current top 10 or 8 or whatever.
    thumb.gif
    HI, Erik, hehe, Ginger here!

I have to say I agree with you, except for mine and some others.

I just have to say mine as I am amazed to even be in the finals and am now biting my nails.

But there were so many good shots in this challenge, I almost didn't enter, decided to at the very LAST minute. A PC malfunction would have kept me out.

I did expect these planes in the finals.
    Just visually.

And, thinking now, it would be like me having all my birds in my glass at the right place and time...........maybe an edit if my glass were good enough, my exposure, etc.

I can't do it! Yet, or haven't.

I guess if I want to practice an air show would be a good place. This, to me, it was a fantastic shot.

Just wanted to say that.

ginger (there were others that blew my mind, too. This challenge had very good entries, IMHO) the finalists have always, particularly the last 6 months or more, they have been a mystery to me. I guess that is why I was so excited when someone PMd me to say that I had made the finals......

But the ones that didn't...........???? I can't complain, but I want to say that I do agree re this shot, and when I think that planes are moving, as birds are, well, that makes this shot more impressive.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    15524779-Ti.gif with Erik and Ginger. Absolutely fabulous shot - but then I am a sucker for airplanes of all types.iloveyou.gif Your and some other photos didn't make the finals when I thought they might (should have?), but that happens every time so who knows why. headscratch.gif Guess I'll have to win a challenge then judge the next one to find out!! lol3.gif I love seeing everyone's efforts even when they don't make it to the voting stage. I do think that Ginger's photo is wonderful and I am very glad to see it doing so well against marvelous competition. Go Ginger! clap.gif And thank you very much for sharing a marvelous picture of the Blue Angels. Virginia

Email
  • lr1811lr1811 Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    great shot!
    DoctorIt wrote:

thumb.gif

What a great shot... would have been my #1 vote.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 28, 2005
    Hey DJ - sorry I missed this post. Very nice picture. I like #2 best and I'm also surprised you didn't make the finals.
    edited June 28, 2005
    Hey thanks for all the kind words! It's really nice of you folks. I think all the entries were terrific and it doesn't bother me that I wasn't a finalist. I would hate to have to weed the field down to 10, glad it wasn't my job!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Hey thanks for all the kind words! It's really nice of you folks. I think all the entries were terrific and it doesn't bother me that I wasn't a finalist. I would hate to have to weed the field down to 10, glad it wasn't my job!
    it was *very* hard, and your shot was edged out by a micron.

good work dj