Options

Portrait of a 30-Foot Rat: New York City

gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
edited August 4, 2009 in Street and Documentary
Portrait of a 30-Foot Rat: New York City (35mm film)

18879019_UxAuR-L-8.jpg

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Love the guy at the bottom who just doesn't want to be bothered by it all...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    :D I thought he was thinking, Can Terminex help here?....
    Rags
  • Options
    WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    That rat came to Poughkeepsie back in May.... stood out supporting the nurses at my hospital. Boy he gets around :D
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2009
    That rat came to Poughkeepsie back in May.... stood out supporting the nurses at my hospital. Boy he gets around :D

And his presence is not exactly subtle.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    gvf wrote:
    And his presence is not exactly subtle.

Another good one! You are on a roll! One thought - this would be even stronger had you moved close to the curb, and squatted down so that you were shooting up at the rat from the guy's level, with him in front of you. But terrific catch - great juxtaposition.

And for the rest of you - If this were just a picture of the rat, it would be just a picture of a blow-up rat - nothing more; a photo taken in the street, not a street photo. But the juxtaposition of the rat and the down-trodden looking figure dwarfed by the rat give it the surrealism, the 'WTF?!' a good street photo needs.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2009
    - If this were just a picture of the rat, it would be just a picture of a blow-up rat -

Thanks. This scene to me was an immediate emblem of everything that screams "NEW YORK!"

... one of those bizarre and discordant images that make a walk in the streets of NYC such an experience.