outtakes with kids (large post)

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited August 4, 2009 in People
When shooting a group of kids, ages 1-8, you often have to move fast, click fast, click a lot, and hope for the best! Sometimes the very last shot is your winner, sometimes it's one of the first...
(I've shared this one before, but to illustrate my point, I'm sharing it again.)
610182370_f8svJ-M.jpg

We can see everyone's eyes here, and there are no bad expressions, so it's a winner.
I should have just stopped there, but then we would have missed out on watching it all go down hill...
610182737_wVJxd-M.jpg

610183067_8E5oa-M.jpg

And now we're getting close to the bottom of that hill...
610183402_upAio-M.jpg

Maybe we've reached it now...:rofl Check out the baby..."Heaven help us!"
610183743_abr4S-M.jpg

The little chair (which was my grandmother's) was a hit with all the kids (which I wasn't counting on or planning to use for each one, but they liked it, so I didn't argue), but the little guy had already had a turn (he was first up and did great) but I messed up by NOT TURNING ON my flash, so I needed to try him again. He was not impressed.

610184745_EKdyz-L.jpg

610185039_sdqx8-L.jpg

But he finally started to warm up again...
610185279_aFL8e-M.jpg

610185842_ePYsP-L.jpg

After a number of other photos, groupings, etc... I decide to try for another group pose. Hahahaha...Hohohoho...hehehehe...what was I thinking?
610192148_SJXaT-M.jpg

610192790_XANQ7-M.jpg

Oh yeah...we're in deep now...
610193129_caHuc-M.jpg

"What is this stuff called grass? I do NOT like it. Get it off me!"
610193903_oHvwL-M.jpg

"And now I must contemplate the meaning of all this..."
610194201_kLdgh-M.jpg

"And go to my happy place."
610194455_guzbK-M.jpg

"What? We're done? I was just getting warmed up!"
610195155_yrZfD-M.jpg

Kids are FUNNY!

Anyone else want to share some outtakes? :D
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    These are hilarious!! At some point, I just look over and say "We're done!"
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    You make me smile.
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Ha Ha those are great!!

Here's mine:

"see mom, told you that you weren't going to get any good ones today!"

(she put all her hair in her face on purpose, then looked at me)

610353469_xpFmq-L.jpg
  • Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    The photos were so much fun to look at. :giggle Gotta love kids.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    Ha Ha those are great!!

Here's mine:

"see mom, told you that you weren't going to get any good ones today!"

(she put all her hair in her face on purpose, then looked at me)

Oh boy...that's a good one alright! eek7.gifrofl
    Elaine

• Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Love these!

I used to have some images on my blog of my kids. I told them "Whatever you do DON'T SMILE!!!!" You can guess what happened next! :D

(I said used to because I no longer have that blog online... I'll have to dig around and find the images again).
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2009
    Adorable Elaine! What a fun set. Kids are a blast and you captured them wonderfully.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Smile
    Elaine - that is SO true. when they get to that point they're done is when I make them do funny faces for me. It either goes downhill or brings 'em back for a few more frames.

And to tackle a family of 5 kids is very brave. Love the small chair. i might have to steal that one.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited August 4, 2009
    Glad you're all enjoying these! :D As the photog, I think I enjoyed it much more when it was all done and I could just laugh at the images. rolleyes1.gifI've shot this group for three years now (4 siblings + 1 cousin (oldest boy) who visits annually from France). I feel like I get about 1.4 chances to get it right or the opportunity is gone. A group shot is always the main goal, and then we try and eek out of them whatever else we can...separate kids, just the girls, Aunt and Cousin from France, etc... This year I think we got everything pretty well, but I wasn't completely satisfied with the individual shots. Mainly because they all just plopped down in that chair and I wasn't mentally prepared to take their shots there. In my mind, the chair was only for the baby, and she loved it!

610180857_8dcjF-M.jpg

610189227_zc3dq-M.jpg

610189566_ThzzL-M.jpg

610190997_xGcvG-M.jpg
    Elaine

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Aw, Elaine, those are adorable! As a parent, I think I'd want some of those outtakes as memories that were more "true" than the perfectly-posed-perfect-smiles that we tend to think of as a "good" shot. Too sweet.

My own munchkin is VERY good on the "outtakes" thing rolleyes1.gif She oscillates between loving being the center of attention of a shoot, and hating every minute of the sitting-still-posing thing (although I think after a year of my obsession she's finally accepted that I WILL be taking pictures in one form or another, so she's getting a little less resistant to my grab shots, at least when she's in a decent mood....)

Here are some of my favorite outtakes (and for the record all three of these sessions yielded some real keepers as well, so I guess it was a pretty "normal" kid shoot!)

610749493_7fyv5-L.jpg
    edited August 4, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Aw, Elaine, those are adorable! As a parent, I think I'd want some of those outtakes as memories that were more "true" than the perfectly-posed-perfect-smiles that we tend to think of as a "good" shot. Too sweet.

My own munchkin is VERY good on the "outtakes" thing rolleyes1.gif She oscillates between loving being the center of attention of a shoot, and hating every minute of the sitting-still-posing thing (although I think after a year of my obsession she's finally accepted that I WILL be taking pictures in one form or another, so she's getting a little less resistant to my grab shots, at least when she's in a decent mood....)

Here are some of my favorite outtakes (and for the record all three of these sessions yielded some real keepers as well, so I guess it was a pretty "normal" kid shoot!)

Love this collection, diva! Your captions are great..."yes, your reflector works very well" and "fairy schmairy"...rolleyes1.gifrofl

In the past, I don't think I would have included any outtakes to show the parents, but with this group, I included all I have shown plus more! I think they will get a big kick out them because I know I did!
    Elaine