#30 - The Wig Lady

whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
edited August 6, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
A few hundred dollars, the clothes on their backs, and a dream - the immigrant story that has become almost cliche. 35 years later the Cho family has a successful business and was able to send all 3 of their children to college.

I'd greatly appreciate any input. I had B/W in my mind when I originally envisioned this portrait - though I'm not so certain now. :dunno I'm open to any suggestions on post processing - and even though a reshoot is not possible, I would like your suggestions for things that I could have done to improve these images as well.

These are special photos to me - the first time I've used Lightroom (vs PS), the first time I've taken photos in RAW format, AND the first time I've used off-camera flash - the learning curve is steep around here!

610494335_tkbQQ-M.jpg

2. (bw using LAB color lightness channel conversion to grayscale in PS)
610495053_MaaAo-M.jpg

610496031_8GiAZ-M.jpg
- Christopher
My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!

Comments

• karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    #2 with that black and white is my favorite. The story telling aspect of that image is very strong in my opinion. Good work :D
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Hi Christopher,

I think I would like to see the #3 in B&W... headscratch.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    I feel #1 is the most insightful to her character and environment. The head and shoulder position works well. #2 is OK, just not special in my eye. #3 doesn't feel like a portrait to me. Even if the eyes aren't the centre of attention, I always want at least a sense that the subject is somehow actively engaging me in their world.
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    To me #1 is the strongest, even though the focus is more on the mannequin on the right and keeps pulling my attention.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    I really like the wig lady's expression in #1. thumb.gif But what keeps distracting me are those white lips on the mannequin. Have you tried a B&W version of #1 with a vignette to keep they viewer's eye on the wig lady?
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Karla - thanks for your input - much appreciated.

Tatiana - I'll see what I can work up this eve after work.
    - Christopher
    edited August 4, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    I feel #1 is the most insightful to her character and environment. The head and shoulder position works well. #2 is OK, just not special in my eye. #3 doesn't feel like a portrait to me. Even if the eyes aren't the centre of attention, I always want at least a sense that the subject is somehow actively engaging me in their world.

Thanks for your input Jenn - I was hoping you'd chime in. I agree with you 100% - #1 is more telling of the shop owner's character, something you are keen to pick up on.
    - Christopher
    edited August 4, 2009
    marikris wrote:
    To me #1 is the strongest, even though the focus is more on the mannequin on the right and keeps pulling my attention.
    richtersl wrote:
    I really like the wig lady's expression in #1. thumb.gif But what keeps distracting me are those white lips on the mannequin. Have you tried a B&W version of #1 with a vignette to keep they viewer's eye on the wig lady?

I think you are both on to something. Thanks Linda and marikris. thumb.gif
    - Christopher
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    I personally prefer the b&w version as a photograph. But as a story telling device, the color shot, esp #1 is very intriguing as it adds some very interesting cultural nuance that I find fascinating.
    edited August 4, 2009
    cmason wrote:
    I personally prefer the b&w version as a photograph. But as a story telling device, the color shot, esp #1 is very intriguing as it adds some very interesting cultural nuance that I find fascinating.

thumb.gif I was wondering if anyone would mention/notice this! I think the color version is powerful.
    - Christopher
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Whiterice, since you mention that LR is new to you, one thing i suggest is massive experimentation, since LR is non-destructive, you can do anything you like and not 'mess up'. Right click on an image and choose "Create virtual copy" and make several versions.

Download these free presets and play around, you might find a combo you really like:

http://www.ononesoftware.com/detail.php?prodLine_id=33
  • Roaddog 52Roaddog 52 Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    As an environmental portrait I am leaning towards #3. I realize that there isn't much eye contact with the main subject, but I feel there is a stronger relationship between the subject and her work. Just my .02
    I don't know where I'm goin, but I'm goin anyway.
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    I personally like #3 but without the wighead in the corner....and just tone down the color a bit. Nice Story Telling image of what she does.
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Brilliant!
    I just looked at the entry gallery and saw that you posted a sepia version of #1. I love it! thumb.gif You found a way to camouflage the white lips on that mannequin. Well done. clap.gif

Good luck to you. :D
    edited August 6, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    I just looked at the entry gallery and saw that you posted a sepia version of #1. I love it! thumb.gif You found a way to camouflage the white lips on that mannequin. Well done. clap.gif

Good luck to you. :D

Thanks Linda - you're so kind. iloveyou.gif The great advice from ya'll certainly helped.

I'm still open to any and all c/c.

612690265_gQkxh-M.jpg
    - Christopher
    edited August 6, 2009
    Christopher,

To me the mannequin on the right is still popping out.

Also, in my opinion, we should be able to see more hair rather than lips,
    especially that the whole image is dark (in my opinion too dark) and those
    lips are too outstanding...

I know it's a difficult image to work on because of those mannequins, and
    I don't know what to advise you to do...headscratch.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited August 6, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    Christopher,

To me the mannequin on the right is still popping out.

Also, in my opinion, we should be able to see more hair rather than lips,
    especially that the whole image is dark (in my opinion too dark) and those
    lips are too outstanding...

I know it's a difficult image to work on because of those mannequins, and
    I don't know what to advise you to do...headscratch.gif

Thanks Tatiana...your advice is much appreciated. iloveyou.gif

I too am beginning to think that this image is too dark. My work was done at home on an (dare I say!!!) uncalibrated monitor. Now I'm at working looking at it and it does seem too dark.

I've gotta think about this...
    - Christopher
    edited August 6, 2009
    Tentacion wrote:
    I personally like #3 but without the wighead in the corner....and just tone down the color a bit. Nice Story Telling image of what she does.
    Roaddog 53 wrote:
    As an environmental portrait I am leaning towards #3. I realize that there isn't much eye contact with the main subject, but I feel there is a stronger relationship between the subject and her work. Just my .02

Thank you both so much for taking the time to c/c. I too like #3...wish though I had used a different angle.

I'm really beginning to hate that corner wighead!!! :Drolleyes1.gif
    - Christopher
    edited August 6, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    I too like #3...wish though I had used a different angle.

I'm really beginning to hate that corner wighead!!! :Drolleyes1.gif

Hey Christopher,

It doesn't look to me that your photos were taken at a kind of event, that will not repeat (like my buskers).

Can't you just go there and shoot again?
    Travelways.com
    edited August 6, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    Hey Christopher,

It doesn't look to me that your photos were taken at a kind of event, that will not repeat (like my buskers).

Can't you just go there and shoot again?

No, won't work....this is my mother-in-law, a 3+ hour drive. :cry

What's interesting though...I couldn't decide who to photograph, my mother-in-law or my father-in-law. My father-in-law has repaired SLR cameras for probably 50 years, and in fact, he has a HUGE collection (400+) of cameras....a collection that would make your mouth water. My father-in-law gave me my first SLR camera, a Pentax, about 8 years ago. During our visit last weekend I grabbed a few rolls of film. I think I'm going to pull out that Pentax and have a little fun....it's been so long.
    - Christopher
    edited August 6, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    No, won't work....this is my mother-in-law, a 3+ hour drive. :cry

What's interesting though...I couldn't decide who to photograph, my mother-in-law or my father-in-law. My father-in-law has repaired SLR cameras for probably 50 years, and in fact, he has a HUGE collection (400+) of cameras....a collection that would make your mouth water. My father-in-law gave me my first SLR camera, a Pentax, about 8 years ago. During our visit last weekend I grabbed a few rolls of film. I think I'm going to pull out that Pentax and have a little fun....it's been so long.

It sound very interesting... wow... I had about 8-10 years ago a Pentax with film too - I still have
    the photos on a drawer someplace (but never bothered to scan them) - nice photos though, as I remember :)

Well, maybe it's worth the work and the "little fun"... you never know mwink.gif

Good luck thumb.gif
    Travelways.com