More Hoover Dam Bypass Eye Candy

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited August 5, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I drove over the Hoover Dam last night and stopped to get a shot of the support arch from the north approach.

610536636_8bC5n-XL.jpg

See all those supporting wires holding up the arch? They all come down after the arch is completed. I was surprised to learn that the two halves of the bridge aren't actually connected yet. There's still a 6' gap to be filled. You can see the stub of the road which will go over the dam sticking out from each tower.

Thanks for looking,
-joel

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    I drove over the Hoover Dam last night and stopped to get a shot of the support arch from the north approach.

See all those supporting wires holding up the arch? They all come down after the arch is completed. I was surprised to learn that the two halves of the bridge aren't actually connected yet. There's still a 6' gap to be filled. You can see the stub of the road which will go over the dam sticking out from each tower.

Thanks for looking,
    -joel

Joel it just amazes me how people get ideas out of their heads and actually create them, like artists, I just can't grasp how they connect what they see in their mind and get their hands to actually bring it to life.

This Bridge is really quite the masterpiece isn't it.

I love your night shots, the last series you posted of this Bridge were fantastic too clap.gif this one's a beauty too :ivar .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 4, 2009
    Thanks, Skippy. I agree -- the bridge is an amazing masterpiece of engineering. I love the way the south end of the arch just terminates into a niche they carved out into the canyon wall. It's been amazing watching the progress every time I go over the dam.

But most of all, I just can't wait for this dam thing to be done! rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    That is very cool! How did you get this shot; tripod? It looks like construction on a different planet. Do they say anything to you when you are taking pictures...at night, or do they know your name by now? rolleyes1.gif
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Awesome image again joel. clap.gifclap.gif
    I'll bet they'll be holding their breath as they cut those wires! :D

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited August 4, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    That is very cool! How did you get this shot; tripod? It looks like construction on a different planet. Do they say anything to you when you are taking pictures...at night, or do they know your name by now? rolleyes1.gif
    Thanks, Eia! Yeah, that was a tripod shot. Single 10 second exposure.

Truth be told, I got busted big-time taking this shot. Apparently I parked and shot from a spot where I shouldn't have been and got shook down pretty hard by the US Federal Marshals. They let me go, but claimed I have a permanent record on their files now and they'll be watching me. :wow rolleyes1.gif
    edited August 4, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    I'll bet they'll be holding their breath as they cut those wires! :D

Thanks, Jack! So true!!!! rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Excellent shot! Especially the nicely exposed nitetime feel. clap.gif
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Love it. clap.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited August 4, 2009
    aj986s wrote:
    Excellent shot! Especially the nicely exposed nitetime feel. clap.gif

Thanks, AJ.

One thing I forgot to mention. See that single bright light just right of center, up in the fan of support wires, and all by itself? That's actually the moon! deal.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    kdog wrote:

Truth be told, I got busted big-time taking this shot. Apparently I parked and shot from a spot where I shouldn't have been and got shook down pretty hard by the US Federal Marshals. They let me go, but claimed I have a permanent record on their files now and they'll be watching me. :wow rolleyes1.gif

Are you serious? Whoa... so will you go back...or should I ask?
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    I guess the moral of the story is we should build very uninteresting bridges so only the bad guys would want to take pictures of them. Dang....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    kdog wrote:

610536636_8bC5n-XL.jpg

Thanks for looking,
    -joel

Living in Southern Illinois this talk of making an arch meet, of course, made me think of the Gateway Arch http://www.gatewayarch.com/Arch/info/arch.fact.aspx in St. Louis.

Jane B.
    edited August 4, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    Are you serious? Whoa... so will you go back...or should I ask?

I'm totally serious. I was nothing but polite and consolatory. However, they really came down on me. Had they ticketed me or worse, I would fight it. The area was not marked as no-parking, and there was definitely a pull-out that looked appropriate for parking. They did point out there were signs that read "No Climbing on Rocks", however I did not climb on the rocks. I went around them.

I'll go back -- I'll just have to try harder to play by the rules. It's not easy for me you know. deal.gif
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    kdog wrote:

There you go. I am starting to rub off on you. Landscapes and now the great stories to go with them. :D

I need to find a time to get over and shoot this with you. deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Howdy Joel,

Just couldn't leave it alone could youmwink.gifwinkmwink.gif

Another Stunning image, really love all the neat details and lighting.

Really very well done, but please be careful and heed the warnings,

they sound like they'll be looking for you next time.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 4, 2009
    Cool Shot, Joel, but I did wonder how the security people react to your shooting with a tripod and all.

The last time I went across there, last February on the way to Kingman to meet you, Kathy and I got pulled out of line for a thorough search of the White Knight. Not sure why, other than the bed is covered. Two grey haired folk certainly look dangerous enough I suppose.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited August 5, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I need to find a time to get over and shoot this with you. deal.gif

No problem, buddy, come on up! You'll leave with some great shots, and a criminal record. deal.gif
    edited August 5, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Joel,

Just couldn't leave it alone could youmwink.gifwinkmwink.gif

Another Stunning image, really love all the neat details and lighting.

Really very well done, but please be careful and heed the warnings,

they sound like they'll be looking for you next time.

Thanks, Craig! Yeah, I'm turning over a new leaf. I'm changed man now. No, really! rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited August 5, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Cool Shot, Joel, but I did wonder how the security people react to your shooting with a tripod and all.

The last time I went across there, last February on the way to Kingman to meet you, Kathy and I got pulled out of line for a thorough search of the White Knight. Not sure why, other than the bed is covered. Two grey haired folk certainly look dangerous enough I suppose.
    Thanks, Jim. Tripods are no problem. You see them everywhere. I've had my 3-ton Gitzo out there numerous times with no problems, and usually where I'm not supposed to be. rolleyes1.gif

Hard to say what set them off in your and your wife's case. I'm guessing your number just came up on their "let's pretend we're not profiling" guidelines. Because I can tell you for a fact, that profiling is exactly what they do and you guys don't even come close.

Cheers,
    -joel